Login |  Register |  FAQ

An Alternative IG List

Post subject: An Alternative IG List
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm interested in trying out some of the new units that are currently available in 40k.
So after sitting down with my copy of Imperial Armour 1 Second Edition, and looking through all the great work that people are doing on these forums, I've decided to have a go at writing some of them up.

While I was at it, I freshened up some of the other units that either contain older rules that are no longer representative of units in the current 40k background, culled some others, and took a long hard look at some of the unit stats. Specifically, movement rates and weapon ranges.

I based the vehicle movement rates on the forgeworld technical specifications in IA1 2nd edition, by using the units off road speed. A rhino had an off road speed of 50km/h, and a baneblade about 17km/h, so assuming a rhino has a move of 25 and a baneblade has 10 I was able to shoehorn all of the current vehicles into 5cm bands between (and outside) these.
Fliers were a bit different, as their top speed rates are massive. 2,400km/h for a Lightning would give it a move rate bigger than most tables. I just divided their published top speed in km/h by 20 to get a number that is suspiciously similar to the movement rates that they already had.

I also used the inches to cm conversion rate for weapon ranges that Mattman has researched, and decided to abandon the flamer template for anything that isn't an Inferno Gun.

Needless to say this is very much a WIP for me, but it has been an interesting exercise up until now, and one that I will continue for the other armies I am interested in.

I'm posting this list here in case there are some like minded individuals out there.

So to quote Juice from Sons of Anarchy (in what may turn out to be an entirely appropriate metaphor), "Have at it".

Edit: v0.3 is now attached.
I've changed to more variable formation sizes to muck around with that for a while. Plus added commisariat tanks ;D

Attachments:
IG v0.3.pdf [367.18 KiB]
Downloaded 377 times

Last edited by Matty_C on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: An Alternative IG List
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Matty_C wrote:
I'm interested in trying out some of the new units that are currently available in 40k.
So after sitting down with my copy of Imperial Armour 1 Second Edition, and looking through all the great work that people are doing on these forums, I've decided to have a go at writing some of them up.

While I was at it, I freshened up some of the other units that either contain older rules that are no longer representative of units in the current 40k background, culled some others, and took a long hard look at some of the unit stats. Specifically, movement rates and weapon ranges.

I based the vehicle movement rates on the forgeworld technical specifications in IA1 2nd edition, by using the units off road speed. A rhino had an off road speed of 50km/h, and a baneblade about 17km/h, so assuming a rhino has a move of 25 and a baneblade has 10 I was able to shoehorn all of the current vehicles into 5cm bands between (and outside) these.
Fliers were a bit different, as their top speed rates are massive. 2,400km/h for a Lightning would give it a move rate bigger than most tables. I just divided their published top speed in km/h by 20 to get a number that is suspiciously similar to the movement rates that they already had.

I also used the inches to cm conversion rate for weapon ranges that Mattman has researched, and decided to abandon the flamer template for anything that isn't an Inferno Gun.

Needless to say this is very much a WIP for me, but it has been an interesting exercise up until now, and one that I will continue for the other armies I am interested in.

I'm posting this list here in case there are some like minded individuals out there.

So to quote Juice from Sons of Anarchy (in what may turn out to be an entirely appropriate metaphor), "Have at it".
Attachment:
IG v0.1.pdf

Hi!

Ranges are much more similar to 1st edition values (which means I like them ;) ).

A lot has been said of the paradigm shift between 1st edition and second edition. Second edition (and net epic by extension) tend to have ranges that are too long coupled by movement ranges that are too long. One or the other on their own is too bad, both together make for a very static game, which on average is what second edition/net epic turns out to be.

Since you have a snowballs chance in hell of getting this done for NE6, I look to Platinum as the version that will "fix" this issue.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I haven't actually looked through the file as yet, but there *should* be no reason that you could not put values to these using the Formula and be able to use them against any other Formula-bought army in NEG.

I'll look through it a bit later, just don't have time right now.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice work, Matty_C!

So this kind of asks the question, what is the taste for adding more lists to the existing books?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This questions has come up before, and the consensus at the time was to not significantly change the Gold books, but rather to make one or more new books with optional army lists in them.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep that sounds good to me. When I want to run my mole mortars and IG jump packs gold is there for me. This list is intended to let me run some of the modern units, and match the current material produced by GW and forgeworld (both background wise as well as unit wise) as well as catering for some of the awesome new 6mm models that 3rd party companies are producing.
I don't see a problem in a new set of lists that can be used by gold, ne5, ne6, evolution or whatever house rule-sets that are used, but gold needs to stay pretty much how it is in my opinion.
I'll continue to work away at this. It is something that I enjoy, and it will be a real test of Magnus' hard work on the formula to see if my slow arsed, short range army can even come close to competing with any of the gold lists!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Only had a quick look and liking most of the stats so far.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

madmagician wrote:
Nice work, Matty_C!

So this kind of asks the question, what is the taste for adding more lists to the existing books?

Hi!

As close to zero with it no being zero. ;)

I think it is best to keep most of this either in the revision NE6 or better yet Platinum.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mattman wrote:
Only had a quick look and liking most of the stats so far.

I think the Valkyrie and vendetta move rates need to go up. I forgot fliers don't double move when I wrote them, so they are actually slower than some of the ground units when they are on charge orders, including the tauros which the sky talon is supposed to rapidly transport.
I might need to refresh my memory on how fast fliers go in 40k, and base some numbers on that. Or something.

Edit: sorry Primarch, forgot to say. The ranges and weapon stats are pretty similar to Mattmans marine weapons. I think I've rounded 36" to 35cm, his went to 40cm. I don't think I t would take too much to massage mine to match.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have been rejigging my weapon ranges to the nearest 5cm (from 40k inches), so heavy bolters and the like are 35cm.
Think it is fair to say most fliers should be able to move the entirety of a battle field in a turn, even the bombers/superheavies.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mattman wrote:
I have been rejigging my weapon ranges to the nearest 5cm (from 40k inches), so heavy bolters and the like are 35cm.
Think it is fair to say most fliers should be able to move the entirety of a battle field in a turn, even the bombers/superheavies.

Hi!

Hey Mattman, if you need help with Platinum, let me know. We can do it collaboratively via e-mail. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Things like the land speeder complicate things too. It has a published speed of 350km/h which would give it a move rate of 175 when compared to ground vehicles, or a speed of 18 when compared to fliers. Not overly practical. There needs to be some abstract non linear scaling of movement rates for the faster vehicles.

I understand why Jervis wrote the EA flier rules as he did with the engage/disengage mechanic. There is merit in that approach.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

primarch wrote:
Mattman wrote:

Hi!

Hey Mattman, if you need help with Platinum, let me know. We can do it collaboratively via e-mail. :)

Primarch

Been distracted with other things recently, so haven't spent a lot of time in the world of Epic. When I have re-jigged the marine stats and posted a draft, people can use that as a base line for other armies.

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mattman wrote:
primarch wrote:
Mattman wrote:

Hi!

Primarch

Been distracted with other things recently, so haven't spent a lot of time in the world of Epic. When I have re-jigged the marine stats and posted a draft, people can use that as a base line for other armies.

Matt

Hi!

Let me know what you need, if even someone to go over what is done. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mattman wrote:

I have put some thought into making fliers more workable, and posted my suggestion in the NE6 core rules thread.