Login |  Register |  FAQ

Sable Wyvern's Combatant Tiles: OPFOR

Post subject: Sable Wyvern's Combatant Tiles: OPFOR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I had completely forgotten that I had a bunch of Centurion minis when I first backed Polyversal. There aren't a lot of decent tanks in the offical OPFOR forces, with most of their heavy firepower found in their walkers, so I decided to give them both the TOG and Commonwealth forces.

All Centurion grav tanks have shields that are effective against lasers, which can be reasonably well represented in Polyversal by ablative armour. The anti-missile values are based on the RL vulcan stats. I based the assault values on the quality of the combatants' anti-personnel weapons, which isn't necessarily a directly relevant stat, but it's as good a basis as any.

Dealing with missiles was difficult, as RL tanks are covered in them. I arbitrarily gave hull mounted missiles a 180 forward arc and, other than that, mostly just tried to make sure overall missile capabilities had roughly similar relative values in either system when comparing any two different vehicles.

The lighter lasers I made pulse lasers, when I kept them. A lot of RL vehicles have far more weapons than can reasonably be brought to bear in Polyversal, so excess weapons were simply dropped, rather than acting as point sinks. Initially, most lasers were being rated one class higher than I eventually settled on, but this was resulting in extremely powerful vehicles, so I scaled back.

AENEAS
The pulse laser on the Aeneas is somewhat redundant, but it's cheap and might actually be of some value in engaging targets with KINDAM, so I left it in.

DELIVERER

HORATIUS

LIBERATOR

LUPIS

ROMULUS

SPARTIUS

TRAJAN

VIPER

WOLVERINE

Last edited by Sable Wyvern on Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Sable Wyvern's Combatant Tiles: OPFOR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

WARLORD TITANS
My Warlords were a little difficult to do. They're slightly out of scale with all the other big walkers I've picked up, and smaller than they probably should be with all the other stuff that seems to be scaled for 8mm. I gave them the average armour value of 3, but plenty of extra defensive features, and they are seriously well armed.

Warlord A has an arm mounted laser cutter, and it took me quite a while to work out what it was, as it appears to be a weapon that only saw use in the early editions of Titan Legions/Space Marine. Having two melee weapons is utterly pointless since I'm already giving all my titans d12 assault values regardless, so I ended up making it a triple Laser III. I thought about making it a triple Laser IV, but that seemed overkill given that it's already mounting the best weapon in the game in a Howitzer V.

While they're not as heavily armoured as my Leviathan, both of these guys have a pretty absurd amount of firepower.

As a side note, I've removed the Imperial banners and the Vortex missile mount since these pics were taken, as well as rebasing them to match my other OPFOR forces.

SEKHMET ASSAULT RIGS
These guys were a bit of a struggle. Like my Vanguard Jackals, I vacillated quite a bit on whether to make them super heavy or colossal. They're nearly as high as my warlords, but part of the height comes from the resin base. In the end, I went with very heavily armoured super heavy. In some respects, they're more durable than the Jackals, even given the smaller class (and have a higher points cost).

They're maybe a little overgunned, but the kits come with so many cool weapon options and combos, I felt obligated to make reasonable use of them. The MG IVs do give options for anti-infantry work, as well as having better arcs than the missiles and autocannon, so it's not just wasted points.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

GRENADIERS
The way assault ratings work is doing my head in with these guys. I want an effective, jump capable assault unit. I think they probably are, with a d8 Targetting and d10 Assault, and they're cheap as well, so there's justification hurling them at some tough targets. But I can't help feeling they're not quite good enough. On the other hand, bumping their assault die up to d12 means they're nearly as good as my titans one-on-one in assault. The course granularity is frustrating, again. I think I will have to see them in play before forming a firm opinion.

ASSAULT DRONES
These guys will be fielded with the Robot psych profile. I picked them up because I wanted some light walkers, but I'm a little concerned. The Ridgway walkers are supposedly 18mm high, and have been officially statted as mediums. However, I suspect the final version of the Ridgeway is actually taller then 18mm, so these guys won't look out of place classed as light.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sweet.

I noticed on the FB group that all of a sudden a lot of people seem to be producing tiles for those old Renegade Legion figs. I am finding it interesting how different the different interpretations are.

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I had forgotten about this thread. A bunch of Bradley stuff to add.

CALYDON
These guys are pretty straighforward. They certainly don't give off any sort of high-tech vibe; more of a workmanlike Imperial Guard feel, so average stats with decent armour. Weapons were easy to allocate.

TYROS LASER DESTROYER
I'm pretty sure these are meant to be proxies for some IG vehicle. I just treated them like a proper tank destroyer, and gave them light armour and a decent weapon.

IRONCLAD
I hadn't realised these were Baneblade proxies when I started doing the stats. There were two points where the decisions were a little difficult. First, there are four sponsoon weapons on each side (two sponsoons with two weapons each per side) and, as modelled, they have slightly weird arcs. I decided to just make them 180 side arcs for simplicity. Also, instead of doing a fairly extreme four weapons per side, I decided to make treat each individual sponsoon as a single Pulse Laser III.

The Demolisher cannon was very hard to decide on. I was tempted to make it a Mortar, but I couldn't justify the indirect fire, so I ended up just going with a much more boring Conventional III.

CAISSE FLAME APC
There's something about these models I really like (despite the flawed design of the rear compartment). Nothing particular complicated about the way I statted it up. I did initially have it as a single Flamethrower III, but in the end decided to be more consistent with other designs make it 2 x Flamethrower II.

RANGERS
These are Plasmablast Stealth Infantry. After spending a lot of time painting Vanguard Novan Elites, damn they're tiny. I can claim the lack of detail in my painting is just an accurate representation of their stealth suits, though. Laser Small Arms III is perhaps a bit excessive for light infantry, but I envisaged them as elite snipers, and I also wanted to help distinguish them from other planned infantry stands.