Login |  Register |  FAQ

A few questions about the game

Post subject: A few questions about the game
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi there,

I just backed the KS and had some questions I was hoping to get answered.

First, does the game have any sort of basing requirements/recommendations, especially for infantry stands. I know a lot of 6mm games basically say "whatever looks right", but I wanted to make sure before I started basing up a bunch of Deacon's OTC.

One of the things that attracted me to the game is that the combat mechanic is basically an evolution of the one in Iron Crown's old Silent Death starfighter game, which I have always loved. I assume that was deliberate. I was wondering if the unit creation rules in Polyversal are likewise inspired from that source. Specifically, I am wondering if a unit's defense stat is purchased directly, or if it is calculated based on other factors (unit size, speed, stealth special rules, etc...)

Does the unit construction system have rules to cover transforming mecha that can operate in multiple modes during the course of a battle? I have all these 6mm Robotech figures from their KS and it is unlikely that game is ever going to take off. I wouldn't think too much would be needed. I was figuring design each mode individually, introduce an order they can be given to transform, and charge points equal to the highest value mode. I was just wondering if that was something you had already covered, or if I had actually thought of something new.

Finally, not so much a question as some feedback. While the system itself looks pretty solid, I really hate the icons you are using for the basic stats of the unit. How does the cell phone reception bars suggest the units defense? Why not just use a bullet (or laser) and a fist icons for ranged and assault values. At least the movement stat has arrows involved, though arrows going in multiple directions makes one think of routing troops and morale more than standard movement. Stat cards should be very intuitive, someone who doesn't know the game at all but who is reasonably intelligent and familiar with hobby games should be able to look at a stat card like this and figure out what most of the stats are for, even if they don't know exactly how to use them yet. thought it would be a good idea to mention that before the KS is over.

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: A few questions about the game
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Troy, Thanks for backing Polyversal. I'll have to get Ken to answer some of these. I do know Ken was inspired by the Silent Death mechanism for combat. I do not think the construction rules are inspired from that however, the points cost of a unit is influenced by every stat that's chosen.

I know there has been some transforming Mecha discussion in the comments section of the Kickstarter page- others have been asking the same thing. I think this is pretty easily doable in the construction rules- you'd just have two different tiles or a tile that's front / back with stats instead of cost info on the back (set cost info aside). We'll likely include some rules for this. One idea I had is we have an order called "redeploy" which is basically a movement order with a bonus and no attack. To transform, you'd likely have to order the unit to 'redeploy' and simply change out the form and tile (or flip the tile).

On the icons, none of those are final. We've got prototype art right now for several tiles, but I do expect to refine a lot of that before we go to production. I don't like the cell bars either--- it's not really defense but 'evasion'... kinda the same but not really- because any Armor is worked into the damage track on the bottom of the tile. So don't worry- all that art and graphic design will get a fine tooth comb.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thank you for your questions, and your support for our Kickstarter!

The combat resolution is definitely inspired by Silent Death, but only in the die roll mechanic.
Evasion is based on the model's size class and speed. Armor varies from 0-5. The damage result tracks are based on mobility type and size class. All of these variables affect the damage result of successful attacks on the model.

Smaller units are harder to hit, but easier to damage. Larger one are easy to hit, but harder to kill.

As for transforming mecha, I too have a full Battlecry worth of Robotech models I want to work into Polyversal games. I am working on rules to incorporate transforming vehicles. The gameplay rules are easy. The point cost and combatant tiles will be a little trickier, but we will get them in there as an option for those who want to use them.

I agree about the icons. They are temporary and will be spruced up by our final tile artist.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Glad to see the game system is doing well. And the use of various models from a number of different companies is a good idea as well ...