Login |  Register |  FAQ

Polyversal is now on Kickstarter

Post subject: Polyversal is now on Kickstarter
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Greetings TacComms!
Polyversal is now on Kickstarter.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cewargames/polyversal-6mm-miniatures-game-system
Please take a look at the excellent work Collins Epic Wargames has done for the game, and share it far and wide.
The site includes a print-n-play demo version of the rules (greatly simplified) and gameplay video for the demo.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Polyversal is now on Kickstarter
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:48 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote:
$80,000 goal

:o

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wow almost a year without even a post on this board (and not even the last post by the team itself no less) and then out the blue, a kickstarter. At least you picked today, my birthday, which as we all know is the most prestigious of days! ;)

Hope this goes well, best of luck!

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Happy Birthday!
I am very bad at social media updates, I freely admit that.
I can assure you that we were always working away at the game behind the scenes. I had nothing to share because so much of the development is now in the hands of the Publisher, Collins Epic Wargames. I will try to stay more active as we move forward on the Kickstarter and actual development.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wow, it's like buses round here! years of rumours and then Age of Tyrants and Polyversal in the same month... Plus horizon was in the summer. Bonkers - (201)6mm or something ! :-)

Anyway good luck with it. I'll download the taster and see.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm curious to know more about the rules than what's provided in the demo, such as:

Command: does Command affect the spacing between units of a battlegroup? What effect does the loss of the Command unit have on the other units of the battlegroup?
Indirect Fire: does this have a proximity/template function, or do IF attacks affect a single unit?
Other: are there provisions for advanced EW functions and special weapons effects, and does the game come with a set of campaign rules?

Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for looking at our demo, KaJo.
Yes, in the full rules, units may only receive orders if they are within Command Range of their Command Unit. The range is 2xEffectiveness Die type, in inches (e.g., d8=16", d4=8"). IF they are out of range, they MAY execute their previous orders, but will have to pass an activation check. They will also activate last. Loss of a command unit is covered, and has a detrimental effect on effectiveness.

Indirect Fire is covered by several orders not included in the demo, including "Call for Fire" (to designate the target) and "Fire for Effect" (to fire indirectly). Missiles and other indirectly fired weapons, like howitzers, have an area of effect, centered on a targeted spot.
EW: There are currently rules for jamming and boosting command range, so that units could be out of command because of blocked signals.
Special Weapon effects: Yes. The various weapon types have special effects, such as rockets having area effect, plasma ignoring cover, etc.
Campaign Rules: Ah yes, the holy grail of game design. I would love to include a basic campaign rule system. I'm not promising one at this time. It could happen, but for now, there will be scenarios, and a point system for balancing line-up-on-each-side-and-shoot games.

The demo really is the most stripped-down version we could share, so new gamers could quickly get a feel for the fairly unique three-dice fire resolution system. It is very much a fuller experience with the complete rules.

Thanks again for looking at it,

Ken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apoc: Byron Collins has explained the decision to set the goal at $80,000 on the official comments to the Kickstarter. He has spent a huge amount of time crunching numbers and negotiating prices with all of our partners. I have great confidence in him as my publisher. As the designer, I will stick to the rules, and leave him to the business of publishing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cross-posting this from the TMP news item:

I've read the play demo; seems interesting. Problem is that I have quite a large collection of 6mm SciFi models (including all of the ones included with the starter) and don't really need to add a few dozen more. What are the chances of adding an intermediary pledge level that includes only the printed materials – rulebook, markers, dice and unit hexes?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great idea using models from different sources too !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So let me get this right : the way to see your advertising is to buy the product...? :D

So I was about to come on here and ask for some more info on the command system, unit builder and other aspects of the rules when I see (on another site) that there is a new play through video. Great I think, Except when I go to the kickstarter this vid will only be released if you hit a stretch goal !

I get that your product is the rules, and only the rules so you can't release a lot of printed material (like most niche mini manufacturers whose rules are free to download) but the moto of polyversal seems to be info is on a need to know basis. You've got to convince a lot of people this is the best rule set out there, so far all I've seen is some nice stat cards ( which I won't need as I have a bunch of other stuff) a neat activation rule and a seemingly over complex to-hit system. I'd start with a bunch of gameplay videos of whole games in progress with interesting special rules and tactics demonstrated to get some interest.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Blip, Byron will be sharing more detailed gameplay videos. The "milestone" is not a stretch goal. There will be more in-depth videos as the campaign continues.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote : "If we reach various funding Milestones, we will do two things: 1) add something special to the game which may include more miniatures for Kickstarter Backers, and 2) Unveil a new gameplay preview so you can learn more about Polyversal."

Sounds like a stretch goal in all but name to me.

I'm trying to offer some constructive criticism here. As someone who was inspired by the concept of Polyversal and have been following it for several YEARS I still feel in the dark about how it plays as a whole game.

I know you have 60 days, but if you run out of momentum early people won't pledge. Generally successful kickstarters do 80% of the advertising before it begins, meaning by the time it goes live the fans are gagging to pledge, and then word of mouth builds from there... Any further info and stretch goals are presented as "unexpected" extras due to fan interest and builds the campaign to multiples of the target. That doesn't seem to be happening here.

As an aside - none of your partner miniature companies are showing support on their own websites (as far as I can see) which could broaden your advertising massively. And some might see it as suspicious.

Trust me, I want to see this funded. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Also, i don't know if this has been adressed already, why did you choose to do your kickstarter so close to the Age of Tyrants one? Isn't that gonna make less people pledge?

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've pledged, will probably eat my luxuries budget for March if it succeeds but that at least means I know I should focus on what's already on my painting table between now and then :)

Good luck!