Login |  Register |  FAQ

Polyversal is now on Kickstarter

Post subject: Re: Polyversal is now on Kickstarter
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Blip: Thanks for your input. I hope we will give you enough of a feel for the game during the KS. Feel free to ask any questions you want about the rules (other than for a full copy :)), I'm happy to answer questions here, especially since TacComm is the elite veteran division of the 6mm gaming world. I expect more in-depth questions here than on the KS proper, or on other fora where 28mm or (gasp) boardgamers might be thinking about 6mm for the first time.

Mordoten: Frankly, we didn't know when AoT was going to go live until shortly before they did. We had been planning for a long time, and Byron had promised to launch in January 2016. Given how long we had been talking about the game, we decided to launch. I personally think that AoT helps our KS, and that Polyversal helps theirs. AoT have some excellent minis. Both Collins Epic Wargames and I are backing AoT on KS, and they are backing us. Players who want AoT minis can play AoT, then use the minis to play VASA and Junkers versus Eldar and Draconis Combine using Polyversal. Finally, Polyversal will still be on KS for a month after the end of the AoT KS, so people will have at least one more paycheck to cover their KS pledges.

Scutarii: thanks! I'm still painting figures I bought 20 years ago! As the legend goes, if you paint all the figures in your lead pile, you die.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for taking a look at the project. If you have any questions, we can definitely answer them here.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ce ... ts/1479072
The above update discusses milestone rewards. These are not stretch goals. Stretch goals kick in on kickstarter projects after a project reaches the goal and is still funding. We'll have those too if we meet our goal- and have some great ones lined up. I came up with Milestone Rewards to remain engaged throughout the project, present pieces of the game at a time so it's not too overwhelming, and to try something different. That video gets posted at 30% funding... we're currently at 26%.

AoT looks cool too. It's honestly very difficult not to compete with other tabletop games on kickstarter. Our two happen to both be 6mm, but they're quite different. John and I are backing each other's games and may even work together on something. I even gave a nod and link to the project in my Update 4 to help out as they go into their final 2 weeks. We want to see both games make it.

Again, if you have questions, let us know.
Byron

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:43 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

so, milestones are just stretchgoals without the stretch?

I don't get the mechanics of this: if you reach 33% funded you add in 3 tanks to the box, but, as the project 'will only be funded if at least $80,000' then the tanks would have to be in there anyway, as you won't fund unless you hit 100%? if you don't reach 33% nothing happens anyway … you can't fund without going past the 33% point so adding 3 tanks at 33% doesn't seem like an incentive, to me at least.

should we understand the box contains an amount of mystery content that will only be mentioned at certain %s?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Think of it as sweetening the deal so to speak, so yes, a few mysteries we will reveal as we hit certain points in the campaign. The points are just a few such as 30%, which is a big milestone for kickstarters, 50, 75, and 100. You can expect something cool added plus new previews as we hit those points which should fill in some questions as well.

I partially wanted to do this to tailor the previews to the questions we are receiving the most in the active campaign. If all out there now, we might have focused on the wrong aspects to show. Or something. Idk. Could be a bad idea. I've had them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The other thought is this... if we post a 1 hr video showing off a lot of the game, most people won't watch it. Attention spans etc. If we break that up into smaller bits I think it's easier to digest. I can also post each one as a separate news item on the various gaming sites to keep the project visible.

I like steak. But I'd rather eat 4 1lb ones in separate meals than a 4 lb one at once. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sure - cut up the 1hr video into small chunks. Distribute them everywhere, please do. It's called a trailer. You watch them before you buy the ticket for the movie though ! :-)

Seriously, get them all out there now. Distribute them and get them shared. If you've missed any aspects then people will tell you and you can make some more - you have 2 months. But if you don't get the out you are almost certainly going to stall.

I look forward to viewing and hope it peaks my interest enough to buy in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the feedback Blip, hope so too.

Best,
Byron

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry to see this kickstarter has been cancelled although I didn't contribute I was going to jump in just to get the rulebook as I always like to read new rule sets.

I feel you had two core problems with this one, one was poor timing your funder ran alongside Age of Tyrants which meant you were competing for backers and two the funding level required was to high which puts backers of. When I initially saw the funding level required I imediately thought this one's not going to get there so didn't jump in.

Much better to start of at a more modest funding level to get the book published and then build up with stretch goals after this is reached.

All IMHO of course.

Will keep an eye out for the new campaign.

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've been watching news on Polyversal since 2012. I couldn't wait to see that kickstarter launched, because I wanted a 6mm game with good unit construction rules. Four years later (after Polyversal release announcements for 2013, 2014 and 2015) I had run out of patience and allready bought Nordic Weasel's Laserstorm. Wouldn't have backed anyway because of the 80K goal. If they listen to the feedback they got here and from their backers, I might consider to support a second try.
Like people have pointed out before, it's the rules that are interesting. The majority of potential buyers doesn't have any need for a box, more miniatures or fancy buildings. No offense, but this could have worked so much better.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Skullhamma: Thank you. I want you to understand that we are listening very carefully to feedback from our supporters (and would-be supporters). As the designer, and a long-time 6mm gamer and TacCommer, your 'we just want the rules' comments align with my own personal expectations as well.

If I had wanted to simply release the rules for those of us already deeply into 6mm sci-fi (i.e., TacComms) I could have put the rules up as a .pdf on Wargame Vault, and called it a day. When I met Byron, and he offered me the opportunity to publish the game as a box set, he convinced me to think broader than just the existing 6mm market. Publishing just a rulebook is fine, but does nothing to expand interest in 6mm sci-fi. A box set, available in stores and complete with everything a new player could need to get into our hobby, can do that, and, ultimately, I would hope that's want we 6mm die-hards would want to see.

So, our Kickstarter was set up with the intention of funding a new entry into 6mm sci-fi that could be sold in stores and bring more attention to our relatively niche-within-a-niche hobby, while still having a support level for us 6mm veterans wanting just the rules. Our re-launched Kickstarter will again have an option for just the rules. The buildings are coming out of the plan into a separate Kickstarter, and the overall total funding request will be coming down significantly. Byron had high hopes for the first Kickstarter, and I can't fault him for trying. We gained and extraordinary amount of insight into what our potential supporters really want, and that is incredibly valuable for a small venture such as ours.

Your comment is correct about the universe of supporters here on TacComms, we just want more rules to play with our existing armies. What's interesting to me, having looked over the backer amounts, levels, and list of names, is that we had more supporters backing for a box set than at any other level, and many (the majority, I'd bet) are not TacCommers.

We are the 'alpha' group of 6mm sci-fi. We have to remember that most people interested in buying a game are at nowhere near our level of interest. Our distributors and retail partners feel confident that a Polyversal box set will sell at retail to new gamers, and we have a lot of interest from that side of things.

If our second KS attempt fails, we can always fall back and just put a rules .pdf up on Wargame Vault, and call it day. We have decided to aim higher than that, and hope that you will consider supporting us.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I totally respect your attempt to explore the limits of the 6mm market, in fact it would be great to see more people play in that scale. On the other hand I think the limits have allready been reached. The only developer who could revive the genre in a big scale is sadly GW and, if rumors are true, they are allready preparing to do so. Right now you cannot compete with their advertisement posibilities or the fluff of their universe. I think also Age of Tyrants was more successful, because they had the kown VOID background on their side.
It's good to hear that you are still thinking about publishing the game as a PDF only. I also wish you good luck with your second attempt. But if you really want to give 6mm a new boost, you have to be quick. Once tiny space marines are back on the table, this idea is dead for Polyversal.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ken is 100% correct and Skullhamma is also 100% correct. Keep an eye on our re-launch. We address a lot of feedback, aim a lot lower for the goal ($30k vs $80k), and break out the terrain and online unit tool (which was expensive), but yes we still do have boxed set options. That was *the most popular* pledge reward from our first attempt.... I think it's because a lot of people haven't yet tried 6mm and this support level caters to them while also providing a good amount of value for the miniatures--- roughly 30% off MSRP. Yes they're existing lines, but, honestly how many shiny new miniatures do we need? I'm afraid the draw to new and shiny minis is just beyond me. We're focused on great rules. But, our strategy is not to focus just on rules which would relegate them to the corners of wargame vault only to be tried by the hardcore gamers. Boxed sets work. They work to get people into the game and expose them to multiple lines. They give me a game to sell at conventions vs. pointing people to a PDF and hoping they have their own miniatures. So we're trying it again. And if we fall flat on our faces for whatever reason, we'll re-assess the strategy.

If you're just interested in rules, that's fine and all, and the PDF alone will just cost $10 vs. $25 this time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Frontlinegeneral wrote:
but, honestly how many shiny new miniatures do we need? I'm afraid the draw to new and shiny minis is just beyond me.

We'll let you stay here, but no more crazy talk like this, please. ::)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks. I mean... I love shiny new miniatures...