Login |  Register |  FAQ

Welcome to the Polyversal Board

Post subject: Welcome to the Polyversal Board
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Greetings TacComm!
Cybershadow has been kind enough to provide some room here for discussions regarding Polyversal, my own special brand of 6mm sci-fi, currently under development and to be published by Collins Epic Wargames.
Check our site out at: http://www.polyversal-game.com
Or follow me on twitter @weeklywargamer, and Byron Collins @CEWargames

Poly-what?
Polyversal. Like "universal," but with "Poly-" (for "many"). The game is meant for minis from all sci-fi universes. Polyversal is a 6mm mass combat game intended for use with any and all 6mm sci-fi models in your collection. We are not planning to manufacture models. We are not miniature sculptors. We are game deisgners. Besides, there are already a great many wonderful 6mm manufacturers turning out great products.

No miniatures?
Ah, I didn't say that. I said we aren't making them. Our plan is to partner with existing manufacturers, including, to date, Brigade, Dark Realm, Steel Crown, Microworld, and Plasmablast, to include miniatures they already offer for sale in our initial box set. We will be creating artwork and combatant tiles for miniatures already available, so that you can assemble your own force. New players will have a jumpstart into our hobby, and veterans like us will have a new ruleset we can use to put all of our miniatures out on the table again.

Combatant tile?
Stat card. Remember the unit cards in Space Marine? Like those, but better.

But I want to use my GW Epic figures.
Fine with us. I personally have thousands of them. The system will permit you to create your own units from the stats and mechanics provided. We even plan to have an interactive stat-card program that will churn out tiles you can print for yourself. Obviously we cannot produce GW unit tiles, and we won't. Personally, I think much of what is on the market now from our partners is as good or better than anything GW made for 6mm, and encourage you to try some of it (which is why we are including them in the box).

I saw multi-colored dice in a picture. What's that about?
Polyversal uses color-coded polyhedral dice, not just six-sided ones.
D4 is blue, D6 green, D8 yellow, D10 orange, D12 red.
Attacks are rolled using a combination of three of these dice, based on the unit's targeting ability, the weapon's relative ability against its target (vehicle, aircraft, or infantry), and the unit's current Combat Effectiveness. As units take stress and damage, their Effectiveness degrades, lowering their ability to hit and damage targets.

I saw some wierd symbol tokens... what are those?
Orders tokens. Units are given orders and alternate activating and performing their orders. Units do not always perform their orders as given. As commanders' Effectiveness is degraded, their command radius shrinks, causing units to fall out of command.

I haven't seen these pictures. What are you talking about?
Check out Collins Epic Wargames on Facebook.
I will try and add content here as well.

Welcome to the Polyversal Forum. I look forward to discussing the game with you here, and answering all the questions I'm allowed to declassify. I will likely be seeking feedback and playtesting as the days move forward. Feel free to post away.
Ken

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Welcome to the Polyversal Board
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

"D4 is blue, D6 green, D8 yellow, D10 orange, D12 red.
Attacks are rolled using a combination of three of these dice, based on the unit's targeting ability, the weapon's relative ability against its target (vehicle, aircraft, or infantry), and the unit's current Combat Effectiveness. As units take stress and damage, their Effectiveness degrades, lowering their ability to hit and damage targets."

Interesting... I'll have to go look at multi dice probability curves.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm interested to see how this goes; kind of reminds me of strike legion; I hope that its as uniqe as it look like it will be, and that it is able to put enouph detail to make it interesting while keeping it simply enouph for really massive engagements to be manageble.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kovac speaks my mind. And I have dozens of each of these dice types...I need more to fit my dice into the mechanics of Polyversal? Bummer.

Oh well. Looking forward to checking it out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sounds interesting ...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looks interesting

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hello? hello...? is there anyone out there...?

Any news on this Kealios? Waiting with baited breath... :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Same here. They were at a Con this weekend doing demos, so obviously the rules are ready for even a basic level of play, but no, they continue to be frustratingly tight-lipped about this :(

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There was this little tidbit of info in today's Collins Epic Wargames Newsletter:

Polyversal a Hit at Origins 2013!

This year at Origins, Polyversal was demonstrated for the first time at a retail show. Interest in the game has soared. Everyone who saw the game, especially those who played through a combat demo, LOVED Polyversal. A Ken Whitehurst design, the 6mm Polyversal system is compatible with everything you already have- and everything yet to come. It's the ultimate 6mm gaming experience! More to come on Polyversal as we continue to refine the system, stat out and select the initial boxed set, and work through details with the 5+ manufacturers we're working with on the game.

This is huge... no, it's Epic!

Attachments:
File comment: Polyversal 6mm Miniatures Game Demo at Origins 2013
1009148_664383376912144_378141621_o.jpg
1009148_664383376912144_378141621_o.jpg [ 439.04 KiB | Viewed 20590 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I keep forgetting about Polyversal.

Tau Empire, Mymeara Eldar, Tallarn Desert Raiders

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great to see its still kicking.

Do i remember there being a kick starter planned for this is did i imagine it ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I hope it is Epic in its scope. I want a ruleset to handle an Epic-sized army, not like Strike Legion which is definitely too fiddly for such a scale.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kealios wrote:
I hope it is Epic in its scope. I want a ruleset to handle an Epic-sized army, not like Strike Legion which is definitely too fiddly for such a scale.

I hope its epic in scale and has enough design options so that our group can do Epic Eldar vs. Robotech vs. Plasmablast Progenitors and not feel like any of our unit rules were dumbed down.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Eldar vs Robotech...I really wish you hadn't put that into my brain. Thanks.

Tau Empire, Mymeara Eldar, Tallarn Desert Raiders

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes. We are very much alive. Just mostly keeping to ourselves. Byron has been showing the game to the lucky few who see his booth at shows (GAMA Trade Show, Origins, and he will be at Historicon in a few weeks). The game is definitely playable. It was before Collins Epic Wargames picked it up. I was running it at local cons for years. It is in the process of being refined, and, more importantly, written down. As this is my first publishing gig, I am taking my time in making sure I write it down clearly, so the game you get is the one I have in my head. If anything, I am the delay. Byron is ready to roll with the Kickstarter. He is hoping to get the KS up this year. This being my baby, I want to playtest the hell out of it, and get it just right.

And yes, you will absolutely be able to play Eldar versus Robotech. One of my armies uses a 1/100 scale Destroid Defender model as a Colossal. The unit rules won't be "dumbed down" but they will, necessarily, be a bit different. The game will have a wide variety of weapon-systems. While there won't be one called "shuriken cannon" there will be a 'close-enough' functional equivalent. In that respect, it is similar to Dirtside II.

We are not quite ready for open playtesting. I have discussed it at length with Byron. Our goal is to get more closed testing in over the summer. I keep asking for permission to recruit outside playtesters, and will prevail, eventually. When I do, you can bet TacComm will be where I start.