Login |  Register |  FAQ

Netepic Background?

Post subject: Netepic Background?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have been suprised by GWs not really having done a proper guide to the background of their universe, also the way they just wrote the squats off, no stories no nothing really, just dissapeared, id think that if a race was to just vanish it would make the galatic news even if it was the imperials crowing about them finally going!

i dont know why, but i have a sneaky idea, that another race will slowly dissapear and another one will emerge, maybe its the marketing-salesman in me. :O

which unfortunatley we gamers sometimes forget, that GW is a business and the introduction of another race at the expense of another (squats) brings in new revenue from models and codexes, which im not to bothered about myself as long as their something mean and nasty. :)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Simon,

[[[ i dont know why, but i have a sneaky idea, that another [[[ race will slowly dissapear and another one will emerge, [[[ [[[ maybe its the marketing-salesman in me. ]]]

Have you seen the Demiurge stuff from Forgeworld for BFG? Jervis (in an unofficial capacity) has hinted that the Demiurge and the Squats are the same and when the Demiurge becomes a part of the 28mm 40k universe that we'll have the Squats, more or less, again. Many of us have guessed at that anyway.

[[[ which unfortunatley we gamers sometimes forget, that GW [[[ is a business and the introduction of another race at the [[[ expense of another (squats) brings in new revenue from [[[ models and codexes, which im not to bothered about [[[ [[[ myself as long as their something mean and nasty. ]]]

The Squats "disappearing" is more a factor of them not selling so well and having counterculture elements (biker feel) than anything else. Of course I'm speculating because I have no ideas of the corrupt "goings-on" in the dark administratium of the evil GW empire!!!

Jervis even solicited someone to write up a list for when Epic Magazine returns. That's a good sign.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I,ll have to look them up, , i must admit i never really missed the squats going, i was hoping that something was coming that would stick in the nids throats :)

never thought a 7ft marine or a nid carnifax would find a squat trooper that hard to stomp on  :D when the nids came out, i devised a couple of new war machines and sent them to GW, got a polite note back but never heard more, till i read a short story and their was one of my war machines or should i say its weapons in it

cannot remember the book, but the weapon was a sort of foam which would trap its prey, renedering it immobile, mind you i took the idea from dr who and the yetis!!!  :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Interesting to have a look at the netepic timeline+fluff; I have to say I liked some bits and disliked others....
One thing- you put the birth of Slannesh considerably earlier than in the "official" GW fluff- if I remember rightly, wasn't it the birth of Slannesh that blew the warpstorms around Earth away, and allowed the Emperor to begin the Great Crusade in the mid to late 20,000th Millenium? This seems to key quite nicely with most other fluff.. so why did you change it?

-I think (hope :;): )I'm right in my interpretation of the timeline.. but I'm seriously tired :{  so sorry if I'm wrong!! :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (MaksimSmelchak @ 28 2003 Feb.,18:55)
Have you seen the Demiurge stuff from Forgeworld for BFG? Jervis (in an unofficial capacity) has hinted that the Demiurge and the Squats are the same and when the Demiurge becomes a part of the 28mm 40k universe that we'll have the Squats, more or less, again. Many of us have guessed at that anyway.

Well went to have a look at the Forgeworld stuff

Forgeworld Stuff

It does look very Squat like... hmmm

Jervis even solicited someone to write up a list for when Epic Magazine returns. That's a good sign.

Do you know I had completely forgotten about Epic Mag... can't wait till it turns up again

Almost Always Right...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (simonhaines @ 28 2003 Feb.,18:47)
I have been suprised by GWs not really having done a proper guide to the background of their universe, also the way they just wrote the squats off, no stories no nothing really, just dissapeared, id think that if a race was to just vanish it would make the galatic news even if it was the imperials crowing about them finally going!

I believe one of the reasons for not doing a "proper" background is that it leaves things open for future developments.

If you had a background set in stone then you couldn't change things or add things making the background rather stale - there are also obvious commercial reasons for constantly changing background as well.

The other thing which can be difficult to comprehend is the amount of time and space which covers the WH40K background, we are talking about thousands of years which is more than enough time for empires to grow and die and space which would take hundreds if not thousands of years to cross...

virtually anything is possible

Squats or no squats the choice is yours

Squats Gallery (well 25mm ones)

Almost Always Right...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 5:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well in my Epic universe the Squats are alive and well, regardless of the G/W party line  :angry: !!!   And anyone who wants a piece of my short, tubby, bikers with an attitude - bring it on ... :blues:  Tough talk for a short fat man ... :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 1:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Fluff questions

1. Birth of the Chaos gods.

We are open to suggestions as they are many varients available for the birth of the chaos gods, whichever is the most popular we can use. Now is the time to voice your opinions though as we don't want to have to rewrite the fluff in the future, preventing a constantly changing fluff was the main reason the timeline was created.

2. Tau, Necrons and C'Tan

I am not a 40k player, so am not up to date on the latest codexes, if anyone has a list of dates and events that are not reflected in our current timeline then I could greatly appreciate it, then we can update our timeline with the latest information and it will help with EPIC development.

Any Q's then please email me on webmaster@netepic.org and post on the forums.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thenewtonwebb
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thenewtonwebb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

The fluff background available on file is our "editor" takes on the fluff, it hasn't been anaylized or discussed fully. Therefore there are many thing that are different from what my "take" or other members perception of what the net epic background is.

Also he keeps the necron and slann apart as enemies when some prefer the version I gave ealier on this thread. There is a lot of work to do still, but as al net epic endevours it takes a while to sort things out.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The C'tan are ancient beings that used to exist as pure energy, living off the enrgy of stars (they got the name of star vampires).  The Necrons worshipped them (at this point they were living beings) and created living metal (like the t1000 terminator  :;):   ) bodies for them to inhabit.

The C'tan, once in mortal form, decided to 'harvest' the galaxy.  They tricked/convinced the Necrons to give up thier mortal bodies, with the reward of immortality.  Obviously this resulted in the loss of emotions they exhibit.  They now serve the C'tan as thier warrior/slave race.

With this in mind, its probably best to keep the Slann and Necrons seperate.

The Slann have had a hand in the development of the younger races.  I think they introduced the psychic gene in them, in an attempt to help them fight the Daemons of the warp.  This is a bit cloudy though, so may not be entireiy accurate.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

This will probably be a hot debate when the Slann/Necron lists get revised on the netepic list. Some want to keep in line with GW fluff, others prefer the stuff that the list made up. I think it will have more to do with minis available though, currently there are no epic necron minis, only those non-GW proxies that we use for those custom lists. If at some point GW makes Necron minis then perhaps a more "GW-like" list will appear. I think we will wind up with two, after all, we're netepic we can do things like that. :laugh:

We'll see.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules