Login |  Register |  FAQ

Anti Aircraft weapons

Post subject: Anti Aircraft weapons
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've been reading up on the rules for a game tomorrow night, I've got a bit of a query regards AA weapons and their use against ground troops.

In the rules it states that AA weapons suffer a -2 to hit penalty against small ground targets.

Does this count for all AA weapons?  I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind this one?  The advance targetting systems should provide better targetting rather than worst?

A volcano cannon on an Emperor Titan needs a 5+ to hit a tank whilst on a shadowsword it only needs a 3+ to hit the same tank?

A hydra will probably be more effective against a stand of troops up close and personal than an aircraft high in the sky..

A thunderfire (which I equate to an 88mm) would be very good at killing tanks as well as aircraft I'd have thought...  Currently I'd need a 7+ basic to hit a land raider if my interpretation is correct?

I know that they all have limited firing solutions regards how low they can target something but the -2 does seem excessive..

My interpretation would be the following -

Solid shot or single shot weapons (e.g. thunderfires, volcano cannons) do not suffer a to hit modifier for tank size objects up, they still get it for infantry size models.

Scatter or multiple shot weapons do not have a to hit modifier at all but due to the nature of the weapons also don't have the associated to save modifier that they would normally get. (e.g. it's easier to ruin some ones fly by wire fighter with shrapnel than it is to kill a tank)

Alternatley if that is a bit to complex then can we have an artillery version of each of the AA weapons as a seperate support unit?

Profile Send private message