Login |  Register |  FAQ

Eldar and rules

Post subject: Eldar and rules
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hello all

So... I?ve now played 5 games of epic, and for the last 4 I?ve had my ass handed to me. Painful, but educational :)

Anyways, I?ve got a couple of questions, which are not covered by the faq:

1. Can Vibrocannons be used for snap-fire? If yes, can they then cross their beams? Auto-hit seems awfully powerful on snap-fire. If no, can lascannons then? Both are light artellery...

2. Flyers. Flyers seem a little overpowered. Unless your outnumber your oppenent it?s almost completely impossible to catch them in CC, even with so-called fighters (they can?t be pinned). The only that can touch them are AA, and infantry who are attacked.
This has lead to Thunderhawks pretty much dominating our games... they seem far too good to me.

3. Oh yes.. the weapon location in the butt of the revenant titan is supposed to be a reactor hit, right? Otherwise, I wan?t it to shoot lightning out it?s arse.

4. Warhounds with two chainsaws. It?s cheap, awesomely effective and if you can hide them in a forest (preferably with an objective :)), then they are unbeateble. For 350, two of them seem a "little" overpowered.

5. Does cover affect doom (ie. can the 3+ to hit be modified), does it affect psycannon? (or non-physical psychic attacks in general).

6. Which size template does Scatolo Assauly Dreadnaught (Space Marines) use for it?s flamer? We assumed 5x10 cm.

Thanks in advance :) and thanks for a great game!

Be well
Alexander Munck

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Hello all

So... I?ve now played 5 games of epic, and for the last 4 I?ve had my ass handed to me. Painful, but educational

All games have a learning curve, just stick with it and learn as you go, you'll be doing some butt kicking soon.  :)

1. Can Vibrocannons be used for snap-fire? If yes, can they then cross their beams? Auto-hit seems awfully powerful on snap-fire. If no, can lascannons then? Both are light artellery...

Vibrocannons cant be snapped fire since it takes to long to fire up the beams. But lascannons most certainly can snap fire. I need to see if it was cleared up for version 5.0, so it was really good you brought this up.

2. Flyers. Flyers seem a little overpowered. Unless your outnumber your oppenent it?s almost completely impossible to catch them in CC, even with so-called fighters (they can?t be pinned). The only that can touch them are AA, and infantry who are attacked.
This has lead to Thunderhawks pretty much dominating our games... they seem far too good to me.

The debate on fliers has come and gone many times on the net epic list over the years. The final decision for version 5.0 was that fliers are an optional part of the game, since some people use them and others dont. Rather than imposing it, we let it up to gamers decide what to use.

Adding them requires a "combined arms" approach. You cannot simply not take fliers or AA cover to a battle and expect to have an easy time of it if your opponent does. As in real life it sucks when you dont have air cover...

The easiest way to defend is bringing AA units. IF you notice AA units have a lot of firepower OR very good to hit and save modifiers. MAkes shooting aircraft down relatively easy. Their range can easy umbrella your force AND they can snap fire with no penalty at fliers. This last one is a HUGE advantage over fliers.

While its true fliers cant be pinned they can be shot down in close combat with other fliers. Add to this AA fire and you have aerial defense in depth.

Gambling troop laden transports with all these bad things that can happen is very risky. They hardly dominate the game...

...unless you didn't bring air cover or AA cover.....

4. Warhounds with two chainsaws. It?s cheap, awesomely effective and if you can hide them in a forest (preferably with an objective ), then they are unbeateble. For 350, two of them seem a "little" overpowered.

I have a reaver that is similar is build, but its not as great as you may think. As with any new tactic has surprise value, but once the opponent gets used to it, the counters are quite simple. Remember, a warhound has two shields, even a platoon of IG heavies could take it down quite easily, not to mention most tank detachments. Remember that snap fire negates any "hiding" you wish to do and a seasoned opponent, once your shields are stripped with go for the legs to slow or incapacitate you (and since these warhounds have no ranged weapons) are basically rendered useless. Close combat titans are one of those "do BIG or do NOTHING" units. A warhound with two turbo lasers out performs a "close combat monster" on average.

5. Does cover affect doom (ie. can the 3+ to hit be modified), does it affect psycannon? (or non-physical psychic attacks in general).

Yes, cover affects these powers unless the power SPECIFICALLY says otehrwise. Not so in your examples.

6. Which size template does Scatolo Assauly Dreadnaught (Space Marines) use for it?s flamer? We assumed 5x10 cm.

You should use the "nurgle stream of corruption" small teardrop template.

Thanks for the questions, they are of the kind that are extremely helpful in editing 5.0!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi

Here are some more things to corect in version 5.0 from the v4.1:

Imperium Page 61 Scorpion price, breakpoint and vp dont add up...

Core Page 12/39 Terrain chart for walkers/Dreads is missing

Core Page 33 Praetorian cost are wrong

Core Page 40 AA units are wrong (SM and IG cant buy Imperator, Dark reapers dont get -2 on snap fire)

Imperium Page 36 If deathstrike carrier is hit will missile continue??

Core Page 16 Can u snap fire at landing/taking off flyers, how about teleported units? Artilery may not fire, are all templete weapons artilery?? like flamers, PSY Cannon, Bely gun on gargant...Maybe all weapons capable of snap firing should be marked.

Core page 19/40 Is the damage table for super heavy affected by damage modifyers like vulcano cannon, heat lance or magnus beam...?

Imperium p 15 Thunderhawk can enter battlefield later in game....can assault troops disembark while its still flying if they have jump packs?

Imperium P 61/64 Rapier battery is not worth 75, the original 50 is better.

Imperial P 65 Capitol imperialis price is 250 not 600.

Imperial P81-86 Reaver and Warhounds have a carapace damage location even if its not visible while the titans are intact. If one weapon is blown away the carapace location would be visible between head and reactor. May I sugest that the warlord damage table is used??

If u finish the v5.0 ill b happy to check it for u before u release it..just mail it to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Thank you for your help and offer swalexd2!  :)

I will most certainly take you up on your offer and send you the remade codexes as the become available for editing.

Many thanks!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules