Login |  Register |  FAQ

IG Chain of Command Clarification

Post subject: IG Chain of Command Clarification
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey folks, new to NetEpic. Posted this on Reddit but was advised to ask here.

I've been reading through "Armies of the Imperium" (Space Marine 2nd Edition, 1991) along with 5.0 in preparation for the DKoK force I'm building and just want to confirm something regarding the Imperial Guard's Chain of Command rule in case things go south.

So, if I got this right, if a company detachment lost its SHQ, has no Commissars to take over and is more than 6cm away from the CHQ then its has no orders and may only fire on the Advance Fire segment. Correct?

Does this mean that a detachment that's cut off from the CoC is "stuck" until the CHQ moves into range to take command? I assume this also applies to support units? Can SHQs from other detachments and Commissars from other Companies/Squadrons take over?

Please let me know if I'm interpreting this wrong. Thanks in advance!

(Image taken from page 47 of the aforementioned publication.)

Attachments:
igcoc.jpg
igcoc.jpg [ 79.97 KiB | Viewed 1151 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: IG Chain of Command Clarification
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Your question is slightly confusing. Are you asking about the rules for actual 2nd edition or for NetEpic Gold? While the rules for the two rule sets are very similar, they are not quite identical. Further clarity would be helpful.

That said, you are correct. If a detachment has lost its SHQ (which should not happen often, read the HQ ability rules) and is out of coherency with a detachment containing model(s) with the Command ability, then that detachment cannot move and may only fire in Advance. Unless that detachment has the Independent ability.

Since a Commissar can take control of a detachment, it is reasonable to say that any CHQ from any Company could take over the command of a detachment that has lost its own CHQ. The Regimental and Battalion Command special formations can do this as well.

As an additional note, please take down the image from the AotI rulebook. Posting images from copyrighted material is a major no-no, even when such is long out-of-print. Do also refer to the rules and image in the "imperial_guard_with_errata_2" pdf from the NetEpic Gold website if you are using those rules.

Post subject: Re: IG Chain of Command Clarification
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

BFenix wrote:
Hey folks, new to NetEpic. Posted this on Reddit but was advised to ask here.

I've been reading through "Armies of the Imperium" (Space Marine 2nd Edition, 1991) along with 5.0 in preparation for the DKoK force I'm building and just want to confirm something regarding the Imperial Guard's Chain of Command rule in case things go south.

So, if I got this right, if a company detachment lost its SHQ, has no Commissars to take over and is more than 6cm away from the CHQ then its has no orders and may only fire on the Advance Fire segment. Correct?

Does this mean that a detachment that's cut off from the CoC is "stuck" until the CHQ moves into range to take command? I assume this also applies to support units? Can SHQs from other detachments and Commissars from other Companies/Squadrons take over?

Please let me know if I'm interpreting this wrong. Thanks in advance!

(Image taken from page 47 of the aforementioned publication.)

Welcome to Net Epic BFenix! Great to have another player on board!

As Magnus has said above, you've got it spot on! From memory, there is no appreciable difference between the Net Epic and 2nd Edition coherency rules so I don't think it matters either way which of those you are using. The command rule is definitely one of the trickiest aspects of playing IG and it took me a while to get to grips with it - we talked a bit about it in our recent IG podcast before we got into the nitty gritty of our favourite 2nd Edition armies. ;)

I hope that once you get used to playing them, you have a lot of fun and let us know how you get on with them!

All the best!

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules