Login |  Register |  FAQ

NetEpic Gold/2E Reconstruction - The Great 3mm Scale Heresy!

Post subject: NetEpic Gold/2E Reconstruction - The Great 3mm Scale Heresy!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So I’m using NetEpic to do what will probably be the culminating project of my 40K hobby career - I’m reconstructing Second Edition, including battle cards, etc., with 3mm scale figures. I made an abortive attempt at this some time back but the advent of Vanguard’s “Dominion” line has made it possible to fully realize this project. It’s an act of, essentially, forensic gaming.

So things are coming up as I go that are interesting - and I wonder if people here have thoughts on it. I know this forum is slow as most people play the NetEA versions and of course this ungodly epidemic has slowed down gaming meetups. But still.

First questions for anyone if you happen to read this:

Have you ever - EVER - taken a Space Marine Scout Company as a core card? It’s in there but I just have never actually used them and I’m at a loss as to what they’re really good for except an inexpensive way to get additional support or special cards out. I’m having a Scout Company card printed for the sake of completeness but I don’t know what I’d ever do with it.

And for the Imperial Guard, has anyone ever worked out stats and organization for the newer retcons, especially heavy tanks like the Malcador and Macharius? That also goes for the “New Old” tanks for the marines like the Falchion/Fellblade and derivatives. At the moment I’m making them detachment cards that essentially act as Legion Baneblade equivalents (and derivatives) but I’d be interested to know.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: NetEpic Gold/2E Reconstruction - The Great 3mm Scale Her
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mr. Average wrote:
Have you ever - EVER - taken a Space Marine Scout Company as a core card? It’s in there but I just have never actually used them and I’m at a loss as to what they’re really good for except an inexpensive way to get additional support or special cards out. I’m having a Scout Company card printed for the sake of completeness but I don’t know what I’d ever do with it.

I've only seen it used a few times in the OG days in MASSIVE 'Lets bring out the whole chapter' games, to get specials, or try to infiltrate on an objective. I think that since the 10th company is cannon you kind of have to include it.

As for the tanks I have had enough trouble sourcing a Malcador in 28mm scale. I can't imagine doing it in 6 or 3. Jokes aside I think they should be organized the same way as the other superheavy options. A part of me wishes that there was more flexibility in how you take superheavy companies. I would like to be able to mix and match. I know that for points and balance that is unlikely to be an option unless you made each one like a titan in how they are outfitted which is probably too much work.

Good luck on your quest.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

An interesting project. Good luck on that. As to your questions:

1. Scout Company. During actual 2nd edition play, I doubt that I have ever actually taken and used a Scout Company formation for actual on-table play. Partly this would be due to there not actually being minis for them, and partly due to the other options just being more attractive. Still, as was mentioned above, the 10th Company is canon, so if you were trying to recreate a full Chapter, it would have to be there.

On the other hand, sometime after 2nd had ended, I was running a 2nd-based campaign for myself and a couple of friends via email, and the formations that could be purchased were restricted by their cost and by the size of the player's home base. In that game, the Scout Company was used, as it was the only Company that the Marine player was able to purchase for a time.

2. Newer tanks, etc. They have not officially been added to NetEpic as such, but stats and points costs for several of them have been worked up and posted in these forums. Unfortunately, I cannot point you to a specific thread or post where they are, but if you go looking (especially in the Platinum and Alternate Rules sections) you should find them.

As a point, if you are actually trying to recreate 2nd edition W40K, then including these newer vehicles would be contrary to that purpose, as they did not exist in the rules during that era. Obviously it is your project, and thus you can do what you want with it, but it seems contradictory to the stated intent.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Fair point - I might call what I’m attempting a “Creative Reconstruction,” based on what figures Vanguard has made so far. For example, 3mm bikers are unlikely to be available to me any time soon so I’m substituting jetbikes. Not canon, but still.

In re: Scouts it occurs to me that they could be used mainly to exert zones of control so your heavier troops can get a few turns of fire before getting close-assaulted. I’m printing the card, in the interests of completeness, but doubt I’ll use it any time soon as again, 3mm proxies don’t yet exist that are as close to the mark as I’d want.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:07 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I used to stash scout companies in a few thunderbricks and drop em on objectives behind enemy lines. No idea if that was efficient but was pretty fun in games of 6-8k I would typically play.

It was the land raider companies that seemed not so good value, forever being overrun by Goff clans jacked up on Power of the Warghhh!!! or a handful of aspect warriors. 2nd ed was hilarious :D

ps. someone did a full recreation (including original silhouette graphics!) of the 2nd ed army cards as pdfs but I can no longer find them on the Internets #lostmedia

Armyforge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

adam77 wrote:
It was the land raider companies that seemed not so good value, forever being overrun by Goff clans jacked up on Power of the Warghhh!!! or a handful of aspect warriors. 2nd ed was hilarious :D

2nd still had a lot of the goofy Heavy Metal asthetic of the creators. You saw it the most in the Orks and Chaos but it was scattered everywhere. It was still The GRIMDARK but it was grimdark as done by Deathklok.

I played my first game of epic in 25 years last Sunday with my son. We both laughed at the Avatar just hauling ass down the field trying to get in some CC with the humans. He can't wait to play some Orks especially after I told him that red paint jobs give +5cm of movement.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There was just so much to love about the old editions. I’m printing my own unit cards - it’s such a joy, the whole thing is so over the top. The point wasn’t a balanced game or a genuine simulation it was to recreate a Heavy Metal or 2000AD comic on the tabletop. If something fun or bizarre happened that was part of the joy of it!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I searched out as much information as I could, reread NetEpic Gold and the latest revisions to the unit lists, and printed my own cards after converting all scales and ranges for 3mm scale. The results are arriving from the printer today. I hope they’re good!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great Justice!

Attachments:
28DA149B-2000-4F9D-8157-E6FAEA8E4092.jpeg
28DA149B-2000-4F9D-8157-E6FAEA8E4092.jpeg [ 473.91 KiB | Viewed 2578 times ]