Login |  Register |  FAQ

New Guy here

Post subject: New Guy here
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hello all.

I’m new to Epic scale. Been buying a lot of stuff on eBay, etc. Current plan is to use NetEpic rules.

I’ve got Eldar, Orks, and Chaos armies building.

Also have a little bit of Space Marines. Thinking to paint them up in a chapter/legion that would work for Horus Heresy as well as 40K.

I bought the Adeptus Titanicus starter set. I know it’s 10mm not 6, but I think infantry and vehicles will work fine alongside them.

Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated.

J

Attachments:
F111C52C-B6F3-4A0D-90A0-6B00FC8D2F71.jpeg
F111C52C-B6F3-4A0D-90A0-6B00FC8D2F71.jpeg [ 316.17 KiB | Viewed 7233 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: New Guy here
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Welcome!

Epic Armageddon (the 4th and current edition of Epic) is the version the considerable majority of players play and what I would recommend getting into. It's sometimes called 'Net Epic Armageddon'. Confusingly there's also an old fan made version of the Epic rules that was a variant of 2nd edition Epic that's called 'Net Epic'. It would have helped not to have two such similar similar sounding names but it is what it is. I'm unclear from your post which one you might mean.

Whereabouts in the world are you? There's still a healthy tournament scene for Epic Armageddon in the UK (10 tournaments in different cities around the country in 2019 before Covid put things on pause) if you happen to also live here.

I use new Titanicus titans and Aeronautica planes along with Epic models too and it works well, lots of us do and they're fine to use at Epic tournaments too. They're 8mm scale not 10mm, so it's a third bigger, but close enough they look fine together (in my opinion).

See https://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/ for good third party proxies for most armies if you haven't already.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

the AT stuff is in scale, much like all GW produce models the original titans from epic are in 3mm, from what I have read majority of people in every edition are fine with people using the AT models as there titans. Also welcome! Hope to see more pics of the minis you paint up in the future!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I did mean NetEpic, the fan rules. I am in the US, in Texas near Houston.

Thanks for the pointers on AT. Hadn’t thought about Aeronautica really.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Fair enough then, I can't really offer any more input into NetEpic.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Welcome to the wonderful world of Epic scale gaming, and welcome especially to NetEpic.

As you can likely tell, the most recent version of these rules is the Gold version. If you haven't already, you might want to read through the Gold rulebook and the Codex books for the armies you want to play as. Do also read through this forum, as there are many threads where others have asked questions. You can find answers to questions you didn't even knew needed to be asked yet.

As always, if you have questions, feel free to ask. Likely as not, someone will answer them eventually. Be patient though, I don't always check this forum everyday anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In recent years most of the community/discussion on these forums has been focussed on NetEA and it’s the home of NetEA list development. Discussions about models are totally in common though, and it’s not at all exclusive. NetEpic players are still around, just perhaps less visible here and is an older community mostly playing in small groups of friends, less focused on tournaments etc. A lot of discussion has transitioned to Facebook groups and there is a much more even distribution of different versions of rules played there for example - EA is still the most widely played IMO but is less prevalent globally than I previously thought as a regular on these forums and its precursors over many years.

There’s also a discord server now if you’re interested in that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Welcome aboard. I am newish as well. I played Epic Space Marine ages ago and found my minis while cleaning up the storage in the basement last year. The community around here is small but really great. Very dedicated players who are interested in having a good time. If you can find or build a small local scene that seems to be the way to go. My play group is my grown son and 2 guys that I used to play with in High School who ALSO kept their minis. We've been dusting things off waiting for Covid to allow us to play again.

As far as rule sets go, both are fine. You can have your minis based and play in either or both rulesets as long as you don't mix them up. I prefer NetEpic because it is very close to the game I remember playing and it has more 'fluff' elements like the chaos cards and ork mechanical additions.

Get out there and start kicking some ass.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Do we have tokens for playing NetEA online?

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thenewtonwebb
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thenewtonwebb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That’s about how I feel. It seems that NetEA is probably a better set for tournament play, with better tested balance between forces. And there are things I like better about how you build a force in NetEA.

On the other hand, NetEpic has all the crazy fluff flavor stuff. It’s probably not as well balanced. But I do love me some crazy stuff, like all the weird Ork vehicles.

Alhazred wrote:
Welcome aboard. I am newish as well. I played Epic Space Marine ages ago and found my minis while cleaning up the storage in the basement last year. The community around here is small but really great. Very dedicated players who are interested in having a good time. If you can find or build a small local scene that seems to be the way to go. My play group is my grown son and 2 guys that I used to play with in High School who ALSO kept their minis. We've been dusting things off waiting for Covid to allow us to play again.

As far as rule sets go, both are fine. You can have your minis based and play in either or both rulesets as long as you don't mix them up. I prefer NetEpic because it is very close to the game I remember playing and it has more 'fluff' elements like the chaos cards and ork mechanical additions.

Get out there and start kicking some ass.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

They definitely do not feel like the same game - 2nd Edition Space Marine was far more about making the game have a particular flavor than in balancing it down to the quarter of a point. NetEA is more about knowing you’ll have balanced tank forces lined up before they rush at each other. My biases are pretty clear I’m sure but I definitely see the fun of both. I just wish the close combat rules in NetEA weren’t such a complicated headache.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

2nd ed is more in line with 28mm game than netea is. If you like WH40k at 28mm play 2ned. But if you like wargames play netea.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kingzog wrote:
2nd ed is more in line with 28mm game than netea is. If you like WH40k at 28mm play 2ned. But if you like wargames play netea.

You summed up what I've been thinking for a while. I think that there is a big community here and understanding what you enjoy about the game and the 40k universe is going to lead to more fun. I finally played my first game yesterday and one of the best moments was imagining the Eldar Avatar just hauling ass as fast as possible towards the other side COMPLETELY ignoring whatever else was going on. We laughed, we cried, then he took out 6 guardsmen in close combat.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As I've mentioned in the past, but you likely haven't seen it, I created the Points Formula system to attempt to bring some semblance of balance to NetEpic Gold. You can find it over in the Alternative Rules subforum. Give it a look at.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As the other guys have said above Net Epic and Net EA are very different games.

The beauty of it is of course that you can have the same collection of minis for both, it might be just that sometimes you have to add or remove a tank or a unit or two, that's all.

Certainly in the UK NetEA seems more prevalent for events. But, for home games and with friends I have found I prefer Net Epic. For armies like Orks especially, the army list and the way they behave on the battlefield is sooooo much more characterful it really captures the spirit of them. Chaos I think too.
NetEA sometimes feels like a range measuring exercise, but I guess is a more tactically concise game, and so is popular for tournaments for that reason.