Login |  Register |  FAQ

NetEpic Gold: Chaos Questions

Post subject: NetEpic Gold: Chaos Questions
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi,

I've not played as Chaos before, and they were one of the armies i didn't have back in the SM2 days either.

I'm just making up some lists now and i've got a couple of questions about some points that i'm not finding that clear in the army books;

1). Greater Daemons like the Nugle Plague Tower or Khorne Lord of Battles.
They are command units - meaning they don't need orders so are always considered to be on charge and first fire.
when moving is their base movement doubled then or are they more like some of the imperial command Praetorians that don't double their movement?

2). The marine centuries for the various powers (thousand sons, world eaters, death guard, emperors children)
seem to function more like normal company cards now. E.g. you choose them, and can take up to 5 support cards/minions?

I think in 2nd ed you had to take the daemon primarch for the chapter first, but can't see that in the rules now?
Also, does this mean the marine century can take their power specific minions (lesser daemons/daemon engines etc) or are they restricted to marine support options?

3). Bubonis (Nurgle Warlord titan)

weapon stats have it down as;

Weapon Range Attack Dice To-Hit TSM Notes
Ancient Plague Cannon 100 cm 8 BP 3+ -1 Special
Ancient Plague Cannon 100 cm 8 BP 3+ -1 Special
Corrupting Spittle 25 cm 1 5+ -2
Rot Spitter 50 cm 8 4+ -1
Power Fist Close Combat Special

Is the 'ancient plague cannon' listed twice a typo or does it have 2?
at 1200pts vs the banelord at 700pts i'm not sure which it is!?

4).

When taking a force comprised;
75% one power + standard list
25% another power

Can you take company cards from the standard list, and if so, do they need a minimum number of minions/support as per the daemons? Or could be that you can only take items from the standard list as support/minions for the main power daemons/companies?

Thanks,

Last edited by Craigm999 on Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: NetEpic Gold: Chaos Questions
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Answering my own question;

page 34 of the main rules;
Movement: Praetorians are slow and their movement rate is not doubled for Charge Orders. They can only turn a total of 90 degrees during their movement, though this may be divided between any number of turns. Praetorians can move backwards at half speed.

page 15 of the Chaos book;
Plague Tower: This Praetorian-class war machine contains the essence of a Great Unclean
One. This unit counts as a Daemon Engine, a
Greater Daemon and a Praetorian and follows
the rules for these types of units. In the case of
conflicting rules, choose the ones least beneficial to the Chaos player

So yeah, no doubled movement for the Plague Tower. Lord of Battles is a bit different i guess, as it's classed as a Titan rather than Praetorian.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Correct answer for question 1. The Lord of Battles does move double when on Charge (IE, always), but like any other Titan is restricted to a maximum of 90 degrees of turning per Game Turn.

2A is also correct. They function the same as a Company formation.

2B. In 2nd edition, that was correct, but in NetEpic Gold it is not. A Century can select Support and Special from the appropriate Power list, the Standard Chaos list, and the Chaos Space Marine list.

3. My understanding of Bubonis is that it has one Ancient Cannon on each arm for a total of two such weapons. Its cost under the Points Formula reflects this.

4A. Only Greater Daemons have the "Required Support" limitation, thus it does not apply to Company formations from the Standard list, nor the Chaos Space marine list. It also does not apply to a Century, despite that being on the Powers list, as there is no Greater Daemon present.

4B. It is my understanding of the rules as written that you may select Company formations from the Standard Chaos list in a Power army. However, such Company formations would be limited to Support and Special from the Standard Chaos list. I suppose it would not be unduly game breaking to allow a Standard list Company to select Support from the appropriate Power's list, but make sure your opponent is fine with that first.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Excellent, thanks for the clarification, much appreciated!

Yeah, the Bubonis one is a wee bit confusing, i think it's safe to assume from the way it was originally modelled, and the cost that he has 2 plague cannon (i think the plural of cannons being cannon doesn't help!)

The original Citadel Journal article would seem to support this > http://nurgle.stelio.net/char_Bubonis.php

The only contradiction in the NetEpic Chaos book would be that he also seems to have a power fist, and it is present on the hit template when the 2nd cannon should be.

Ach well, i think if I do ever run him i'll need to get some agreement from my opponent first.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It is my understanding of the Ancient Cannon description that each arm can be used as EITHER an Ancient Cannon or as a Power Fist in each game turn, as desired by the player. This versatility is part of why Bubonis is so hideously expensive.