Login |  Register |  FAQ

Which version of Epic to play?

Post subject: Which version of Epic to play?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just reposting after I created a thread in a different forum but I think I have the right one now.

I missed Epic when it came out but now I am becoming interested in it and I'm looking for some advice on which version of the rules to play.

A friend has a bunch of Epic figures which are part of the "Space Marine" boxed set. We had a game using these rules and although they were fun there are some broken bits in the rules. He used to play a lot but that was my first Epic game EVER! They were lots of fun and remind me of 40K RT with was fun and had some silly stuff in it.

I suggested that we try some newer versions of the rules and he was partially keen. So my question is which version of Epic to try that is more balanced but is still fun and has some of the wacky units like Weirdboy towers. Another appeal of the SM rules was the simplicity so that is an interest.

Cheers
Kieran

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Which version of Epic to play?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My vote is on Epic Armageddon. Thats what the majority of the epic players in the world play.

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Same here ... or NetEpic ... or wait for the NEW 8mm Epic ... So those would be some options to think about. But Epic:A would be my 1st choice ...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

mordoten wrote:
My vote is on Epic Armageddon. Thats what the majority of the epic players in the world play.

Hi!

You don't really know that. That is just based off the preference of this forum.

Most net epic players, neither care or participate in online forums.

You'd be surprised how many people play net epic out there and you'd never hear about them. ;)

I do since they email questions. ;)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

6mmwargaming wrote:
Just reposting after I created a thread in a different forum but I think I have the right one now.

I missed Epic when it came out but now I am becoming interested in it and I'm looking for some advice on which version of the rules to play.

A friend has a bunch of Epic figures which are part of the "Space Marine" boxed set. We had a game using these rules and although they were fun there are some broken bits in the rules. He used to play a lot but that was my first Epic game EVER! They were lots of fun and remind me of 40K RT with was fun and had some silly stuff in it.

I suggested that we try some newer versions of the rules and he was partially keen. So my question is which version of Epic to try that is more balanced but is still fun and has some of the wacky units like Weirdboy towers. Another appeal of the SM rules was the simplicity so that is an interest.

Cheers
Kieran

Hi!

Epic is a "Dead Game" system. Which means as of now the company that made it does not actively support it.

There is an 8mm version coming out, but that is titan only when it does, so that doesn't cover all the options for armies. much less ground forces.

Which version you use is entirely up to you nowadays. You won't see anyone playing it at your local store.

If your friends remember the space marine set, then net epic is the updated version of that with some 1st edition rules thrown in.

The rules are "simple" and there are a lot of "flavorful" abilities thrown in.

Net Epic is self contained and derived from second edition SM. It contains all the old units and has been updated to include many new ones as well.

It's had about 15 years of testing so its pretty balanced. You can get everything you need here:

http://www.netepic.org/netepic.html

You can get all there epic rules versions somewhere on the net. I'd try all of them and see what your group likes best.

Don't be afraid to tailor rules to your taste (or outright make some up like I do all the time).

Epic is a true "do it yourself" hobby in current times. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks all for the replies. It does sound like NetEpic is the version for us. Since it is just me and a few friends we dont mind how popular it is, and netepic looks very well supported which is great. I'm not expecting any official support and that doesnt worry us as my friends writes most of his own rules. His WW2/Moderns rules (called Lightning War and Red Storm) borrowed heavily from Space Marine.

The next challenge is tracking down some figures at a reasonable price!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

primarch wrote:
Which version you use is entirely up to you nowadays. You won't see anyone playing it at your local store.

If someone ends up coming by Maplewood Hobbies in Maplewood, NJ, they might start seeing a few of us playing it, actually. ;)