Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

NE6 Revision: Core Rules

Post subject: Re: NE6 Revision: Core Rules
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wow, lots of text :o
Haven't read it all but I think I have got the jist from skimming.

I definitely like the fliers moving on the board and not having a defined move speed, with some effects for moving off a board edge. One addition I would make is as well as the refuel, there should be a chance to be destroyed if you move off the sides or opponents edge (think Matty mentioned something like that).

Fliers should have little or no CAF in my opinion, just stick with shooting attacks. The only time I can see CAF being used would be if the flier is attacked by some winged clawed chaos or nid beasty (which should be able to happen) and in that case the chaos or nid beasty should be able to make short work of a plane.

I like Primarchs idea about flier orders being activated at any point of the turn with defined air combat missions. Could make for some interesting tactical decisions.

One thought I had about AA, which I think was sort of touched on, was that if an AA unit is on first fire it may snap fire each time a flier unit comes into range during the turn (each unit can only be targetted once so you can't continuously shoot at the same flier unit). If on advance, the AA unit can snap fire once. If the AA unit chooses to snap fire at fliers it can't also fire at other targets this turn. Think this helps represent that AA on first fire would be scouring the skies, targetting anything that zooms past, and they still maintain some coverage while maneuvering.

Matt

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

primarch wrote:
...I hope that was clearer. :)

Primarch

"Aaahhhhh" I said leaning back in my chair. Got it! ;D

Thanks for putting in the effort! Must feel like this at times! :{[]

I will read what you posted again and meditate on it for a little while, now that I get it!
Gut feel says it should be exploitable as the proverbial, but the order based one is too, just that it's easier for us to see how it is, and counter it when we know and understand that things work in a certain sequence. Magnus is right, it is potentially powerful, and they have realised this when they made these rules, and added the re-fuel mechanic in as a nerf, with a pretty good chance of only using your fliers every other turn. There are pretty smart, these games designers. :D

Dropping a thunderhawk full of terminators anywhere on the board out of that sequence makes me a little wary. I'm not saying I don't like it, just that it is different, and may take some getting used to.
*scurries off to buy a thunderhawk*
;)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MagnusIlluminus wrote:
Predictability is one of the main points to using Order Counters at all. For that reason I cannot agree with disengaging the missions from the combat segments. Also another reason. Flyers are already very powerful, and doing it that way would only make them even more powerful, which is not needed. Realistic perhaps, but not needed. IMO anyway.

Hi!

But it IS needed. Once you restrict the flier order to the specific combat segment you run into the issues of difference of activation as well as not being able to effectively hinder incoming aircraft since their point of execution is predetermined by segment.

Eliminating that restriction eliminates all the extra rules and clarifications necessary to avoid the usually abuses the standard system. Beside the orders are still there to restrict "what" the flier can do. The only thing done is the "when" you can do it.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mattman wrote:
Wow, lots of text :o
Haven't read it all but I think I have got the jist from skimming.

I definitely like the fliers moving on the board and not having a defined move speed, with some effects for moving off a board edge. One addition I would make is as well as the refuel, there should be a chance to be destroyed if you move off the sides or opponents edge (think Matty mentioned something like that).

Fliers should have little or no CAF in my opinion, just stick with shooting attacks. The only time I can see CAF being used would be if the flier is attacked by some winged clawed chaos or nid beasty (which should be able to happen) and in that case the chaos or nid beasty should be able to make short work of a plane.

I like Primarchs idea about flier orders being activated at any point of the turn with defined air combat missions. Could make for some interesting tactical decisions.

One thought I had about AA, which I think was sort of touched on, was that if an AA unit is on first fire it may snap fire each time a flier unit comes into range during the turn (each unit can only be targetted once so you can't continuously shoot at the same flier unit). If on advance, the AA unit can snap fire once. If the AA unit chooses to snap fire at fliers it can't also fire at other targets this turn. Think this helps represent that AA on first fire would be scouring the skies, targetting anything that zooms past, and they still maintain some coverage while maneuvering.

Matt

Hi!

If a system of flying high and flying low is added (which it can easily be done), then CAF would be for those units capable of such movement (jump packs, etc) to engage low flying aircraft or for units that have true flight (like some tyranid beasties).

The only caution I would give with this approach is that interceptor aircraft weapons would have to be revised to make sure those aircraft are better and shooting at other aircraft, since as of now interceptor types are only better than bomber types in virtue of their CAF.

Of course there is a modified "trick" where you could use the fliers CAF as die rolls for shooting against other aircraft (thus not needing to review stats) that could be easily accommodated into this system as well.

I also would have caution is penalizing exists from sides other than the owning players side, since the refueling roll already has a built in penalty of losing one turn, which is quite onerous a penalty in a standard net epic game.

Your suggestions for AA fire are much simpler and easily patch on to the system.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Matty_C wrote:
primarch wrote:
...I hope that was clearer. :)

Primarch

"Aaahhhhh" I said leaning back in my chair. Got it! ;D

Thanks for putting in the effort! Must feel like this at times! :{[]

I will read what you posted again and meditate on it for a little while, now that I get it!
Gut feel says it should be exploitable as the proverbial, but the order based one is too, just that it's easier for us to see how it is, and counter it when we know and understand that things work in a certain sequence. Magnus is right, it is potentially powerful, and they have realised this when they made these rules, and added the re-fuel mechanic in as a nerf, with a pretty good chance of only using your fliers every other turn. There are pretty smart, these games designers. :D

Dropping a thunderhawk full of terminators anywhere on the board out of that sequence makes me a little wary. I'm not saying I don't like it, just that it is different, and may take some getting used to.
*scurries off to buy a thunderhawk*
;)

Hi!

No worries, Matty_C, I have the benefit of all the revisions before this one, so I often forget that not everyone has that benefit as well. :)

The refueling step is indeed a built in "nerf". Since fliers are powerful. The uncertainty of how many times you get to use them add to the fun of the game, as well as its tactics.

As for dropping terminators via t-hawks (or any troop drops for that matter), remember that the opposing player can also intercept "out of sequence" (since there is no sequence restriction), so there is no point were the danger of interception is not present.

Add in a more robust AA cover umbrella and transporting troops is not the usual "cake walk" it normally is.

In fact I am more worried that transporting may be too difficult than it being too easy.

Of course these are the points as they stand now. If we were to use shooting and not CAF for dogfights, then the superior armor of gunships come into play (other than CAF, which doesn't benefit them) giving them better survivability than that when using opposing CAF values.

In the end the main problem with fliers has always been the same. If a predefine when they can act I will always wind up with scenarios where going last gives an overwhelming advantage.

Once you remove this restriction, then the other player always has the opportunity to contest it. It may not be successful but at least you had the chance. Also it stimulates a combined arms approach better, since you can better coordinate fliers to exploit what you ground troops can do (suddenly taking out those AA batteries becomes very important).

I look forward to your additional thoughts. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry I haven't been around to offer feedback. the last 3 weeks have involved a new baby, 2 70+ hour work weeks and I have another ahead starting with a 5AM flight tomorrow!

primarch wrote:

Hi!

If a system of flying high and flying low is added (which it can easily be done), then CAF would be for those units capable of such movement (jump packs, etc) to engage low flying aircraft or for units that have true flight (like some tyranid beasties).

The only caution I would give with this approach is that interceptor aircraft weapons would have to be revised to make sure those aircraft are better and shooting at other aircraft, since as of now interceptor types are only better than bomber types in virtue of their CAF.

Of course there is a modified "trick" where you could use the fliers CAF as die rolls for shooting against other aircraft (thus not needing to review stats) that could be easily accommodated into this system as well.

I also would have caution is penalizing exists from sides other than the owning players side, since the refueling roll already has a built in penalty of losing one turn, which is quite onerous a penalty in a standard net epic game.

Your suggestions for AA fire are much simpler and easily patch on to the system.

Primarch

I know that it adds extra effort, but I think that fliers may need to have a bit of a stat rework anyway, so it may be a good thing to rework CAF.

Rework the stats a bit to make the types have better synergy as an air force like so:

Code:
Type                   Speed/Maneuver   Air To Air         Air to Ground   CAF   

Air Superiority        Fast/excellent           Excellent         low to fair           fair
(Interceptor, whatnot)

Strategic Bomber       Slower/poor           Low to fair         Excellent           poor

Fighter/Bomber        Fast/moderate           good            Good              good

This should help make each type of aircraft more viable.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Agreed that some amount of stat re-evaluation will be needed depending on what people finally settle on.

Since under some proposed systems fliers would no longer have a move stat, how would speed maneuver be represented?

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

primarch wrote:
Hi!

Agreed that some amount of stat re-evaluation will be needed depending on what people finally settle on.

Since under some proposed systems fliers would no longer have a move stat, how would speed maneuver be represented?

Primarch

Gut feeling would be additional turns or bonus to refuel roll.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

madmagician wrote:
primarch wrote:
Hi!

Primarch

Gut feeling would be additional turns or bonus to refuel roll.

Hi!

A bonus to refueling is an interesting idea. ;D

On another note, should this flyer system be proposed to the other formats for further discussion?

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Some additional options to consider for representing fast and agile fliers:
Hard to Hit rule
A fixed save representing jinking.
Additional turn for "Vector Dancer" type aircraft.

If it jinks it gets a -1 when it shoots.

I've had a good look through the "orderless" flier rules again. I think I like them, and am open to using them. They are more fluid than the "order" rules discussed above. I think However I reserve the right to put order counters next to my fliers anyway, to keep up the 20 year habit! ;D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

What about presenting the epic 40k modified version to the other sites?

Are we in agreement to do that?

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think it hits most of the points that people liked and addresses most of the points of contention, go for it! (also should be easy to make advanced rules based on it as well)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

madmagician wrote:
I think it hits most of the points that people liked and addresses most of the points of contention, go for it! (also should be easy to make advanced rules based on it as well)

Hi!

I will post it up on the other venues this weekend.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep. Do it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8