Login |  Register |  FAQ

Happy Birthday Net Epic!

Post subject: Re: Happy Birthday Net Epic!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mattman wrote:
primarch wrote:
Warhead wrote:
HAPPY SPAWN DAY NETEPIC!

Wow... that's been a looong time! Many more years to go though. :D

Hi!

Yeah, I got another 18 years in me pushing it along. ;)

Primarch

Might take that long to get Platinum finished ;)

Matt

Hi!

That depends more on you than me though. ;)

If you make it I will publish it and make it available. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Irisado wrote:
It's an impressive achievement to have kept going for eighteen years. Great work all round.

It's a shame that some prefer to use Facebook, rather than forums. This is a common problem, which is proving very difficult to resolve.

Hi!

You know Irisado, that is something I never quite understood about net epic players.

The yahoo list which has been basically inactive for over a decade STILL has people joining it, inspite of me telling them to come here. I always try to point such players to Taccoms and yet, recently a facebook group was formed by a net epic fan and now has over 400 people whom have joined it, with an apparent over abundance of net epic players, some of which I have not had regular contact with in over a decade.

I have always known that the majority of net epic players do not like the "forum" format. They either prefer mailing lists or more recently social media outlets like facebook.

I am at a loss to explain why that is.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Different people think differently. That is really all the "why" that there is.

I imagine a lot of people are content to just play the game and don't care to talk about it or help shape the rules. Either they aren't creative enough, don't feel like they are creative enough, or their creativity is just in different areas (painting, for one example) that it just doesn't concern them.

Also, as you said, some people just don't like actual forums as such.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MagnusIlluminus wrote:
Different people think differently. That is really all the "why" that there is.

I imagine a lot of people are content to just play the game and don't care to talk about it or help shape the rules. Either they aren't creative enough, don't feel like they are creative enough, or their creativity is just in different areas (painting, for one example) that it just doesn't concern them.

Also, as you said, some people just don't like actual forums as such.

Hi!

I can understand this, its just I thought it rather odd the a larger proportion of netepic players seem less likely to come here, than say Epic40k or E:A players.

I've see that trend for well over a decade, although I have not asked about it directly.

Perhaps I will pose that question on the facebook group and see the responses.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well done on keeping Net Epic alive for so long Primarch, you deserve all the recognition and congratulations for doing this. It is no small feat!

So far as the FB thing goes, I'd say that a lot of the people posting here on TC are hardcore Net Epic fans who want a hand in shaping any changes to the game. There will be a lot of people on FB who just like to see the pretty pictures in their news feed. I'm convinced that many will be people who haven't played it since GW canned 2nd edition and they are members purely for nostalgic reasons. I'm sure many have families and don't have the time to play but like to reminisce.

Have a look at the number of likes & comments on posts, being generous there are maybe 50 of the 435 members actively posting/liking. I think that says a lot although in fairness most FB groups work that way. A lot of people are just incredibly nosey but don't get involved.

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
Well done on keeping Net Epic alive for so long Primarch, you deserve all the recognition and congratulations for doing this. It is no small feat!

So far as the FB thing goes, I'd say that a lot of the people posting here on TC are hardcore Net Epic fans who want a hand in shaping any changes to the game. There will be a lot of people on FB who just like to see the pretty pictures in their news feed. I'm convinced that many will be people who haven't played it since GW canned 2nd edition and they are members purely for nostalgic reasons. I'm sure many have families and don't have the time to play but like to reminisce.

Have a look at the number of likes & comments on posts, being generous there are maybe 50 of the 435 members actively posting/liking. I think that says a lot although in fairness most FB groups work that way. A lot of people are just incredibly nosey but don't get involved.

Hi!

It's good to have another outlet to gain more feedback though, so I guess cross referencing things between the two would garnish a larger yield as far as feedback goes.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, I think that will indeed be the way forward.

In case Derek is reading any of this, no disrespect is meant to the FB group. I think it is excellent, I'm merely pointing out how I see things and also speaking from the point of view of having run my own Epic FB group - and his is far better.

I actually think the FB group is probably going to prove more inspirational to drawing lapsed players back into the hobby just because people will see some of the great pics appearing in their news feeds. If we can entice them to later join here as well it would be a win win for all concerned.

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
Yes, I think that will indeed be the way forward.

In case Derek is reading any of this, no disrespect is meant to the FB group. I think it is excellent, I'm merely pointing out how I see things and also speaking from the point of view of having run my own Epic FB group - and his is far better.

I actually think the FB group is probably going to prove more inspirational to drawing lapsed players back into the hobby just because people will see some of the great pics appearing in their news feeds. If we can entice them to later join here as well it would be a win win for all concerned.

Hi!

Indeed! :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Facebook group is handy for drawing more people in, and disseminating NetEpic news. I do think that all development of the rules needs to take place here though, so I'd recommend resisting any temptation to try to bridge our discussions about changes here with the discussions which take place on Facebook.

Regarding the Yahoo Mailing list, perhaps it might be time to close it? Or would that just ruffle too many feathers?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Irisado wrote:
The Facebook group is handy for drawing more people in, and disseminating NetEpic news. I do think that all development of the rules needs to take place here though, so I'd recommend resisting any temptation to try to bridge our discussions about changes here with the discussions which take place on Facebook.

Regarding the Yahoo Mailing list, perhaps it might be time to close it? Or would that just ruffle too many feathers?

Hi!

Agreed. This format makes it easier to retrieve and pin certain topics of note. That is not easy to do on Facebook.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules