Login |  Register |  FAQ

A few questions

Post subject: A few questions
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi

My friend and i had a game (first with gold) the other night. A few things came up.

1. For a space marine tactical company that loses CHQ stand, what happens to the company then? Morale test, fall back or something else entirely?

2. Is the order for robots given in start of the turn when all other order markers laid out?

Cheers
Alsted

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: A few questions
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

alsted wrote:
Hi

My friend and i had a game (first with gold) the other night. A few things came up.

1. For a space marine tactical company that loses CHQ stand, what happens to the company then? Morale test, fall back or something else entirely?

2. Is the order for robots given in start of the turn when all other order markers laid out?

Cheers
Alsted

Hi!

1. Technically, nothing. Since the SM has a looser command system than say ORks or IG where such a loss would be bad if not catastrophic.

A good house roll if to make each detachment roll morale (like if the company had broken). But by the book. They are not affected by its loss.

2. Neither. Robots have the "inorganic/robotic" abilities so they do not receive orders like other detachments. In the case of robots when you are ready to activate that group of robots you follow the algorithm on page 25 of the gold book. In other words the situation they are involved in dictates their "orders".

Feel free to ask further questions. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

1. With Marines, the loss of their HQ stand has no effect on the other stands other than counting as a loss toward the Break Point of the Company Formation.

2. Robots do not actually receive Order counters at all. The rules for them are on page 25 of the Adeptus Astares pdf, but to summarize: For a formation of Robots, you must fill out their 'program' before the battle begins. This program may be different for different detachments of Robots in the same battle, but cannot be changed for a specific detachment during the same battle. When each detachment of Robots is activated, you refer to the program for that specific detachment and determine what it will do depending on the exact battlefield conditions around them at that time.

I hope that clears things up a bit, and welcome to the community.

[Beat to the punch slightly by Primarch, but perhaps I added some clarity. It's often good to hear things from different perspectives.]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MagnusIlluminus wrote:
1. With Marines, the loss of their HQ stand has no effect on the other stands other than counting as a loss toward the Break Point of the Company Formation.

2. Robots do not actually receive Order counters at all. The rules for them are on page 25 of the Adeptus Astares pdf, but to summarize: For a formation of Robots, you must fill out their 'program' before the battle begins. This program may be different for different detachments of Robots in the same battle, but cannot be changed for a specific detachment during the same battle. When each detachment of Robots is activated, you refer to the program for that specific detachment and determine what it will do depending on the exact battlefield conditions around them at that time.

I hope that clears things up a bit, and welcome to the community.

[Beat to the punch slightly by Primarch, but perhaps I added some clarity. It's often good to hear things from different perspectives.]

Hi!

No problem, glad you answered too, now I feel better knowing I answered correctly. ;)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi

Ok, I'm good regarding the CHQ loss, i like the general rule of a morale check no matter.

Regarding robots I'm a tad more confused :-\

Im simply unsure how to play them. I can make any algorithm (decision table)? I read the rules at the algorithm on page 25 as template to be used as is. but in fact that is an incomplete example?

Thanks in advance.
Jens

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

alsted wrote:
Hi

Ok, I'm good regarding the CHQ loss, i like the general rule of a morale check no matter.

Regarding robots I'm a tad more confused :-\

Im simply unsure how to play them. I can make any algorithm (decision table)? I read the rules at the algorithm on page 25 as template to be used as is. but in fact that is an incomplete example?

Thanks in advance.
Jens

Hi!

The examples there cover basic ones, so yes, it would be incomplete in the sense that you could make your own. Write them down on a piece of paper before the game and use them as necessary.

On the other hand, if it is too much of a hassle, just give them standard orders. ;)

I can see where these rules came from since I think 40k back in the day had something similar to this for robots, so they ported them to epic. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Scrap em in Platinum and treat them like wraith units?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mattman wrote:
Scrap em in Platinum and treat them like wraith units?

Hi!

Yup, agreed. I personally have never used those rules for robots. Too complicated and open to interpretation and arguments.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@alsted: How is the sample program in the Astares pdf incomplete? From my view, it is completed by the final criterion being "In any other situation, do this." Could you please explain exactly how you see it as incomplete?

@everyone:
I disagree. I feel that the requirement of having a fixed program gives the model a certain flavor that is unique to it. While I admit that I rarely use Robots in actual play, the times that I have done so have been an interesting challenge. Of course, I have the benefit of having first been exposed to them in 1st then in 2nd edition Epic, so I've been familiar with their rules for a longer time. It is also likely that their rules were described more clearly back in 2nd edition.

My recommendation would be to not scrap these rules. For Gold anyway. Perhaps make them optional, but don't dispose of them entirely. On the other hand, Platinum should treat them how the most recent 40K treats Robots, assuming it has them at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MagnusIlluminus wrote:
@alsted: How is the sample program in the Astares pdf incomplete? From my view, it is completed by the final criterion being "In any other situation, do this." Could you please explain exactly how you see it as incomplete?

@everyone:
I disagree. I feel that the requirement of having a fixed program gives the model a certain flavor that is unique to it. While I admit that I rarely use Robots in actual play, the times that I have done so have been an interesting challenge. Of course, I have the benefit of having first been exposed to them in 1st then in 2nd edition Epic, so I've been familiar with their rules for a longer time. It is also likely that their rules were described more clearly back in 2nd edition.

My recommendation would be to not scrap these rules. For Gold anyway. Perhaps make them optional, but don't dispose of them entirely. On the other hand, Platinum should treat them how the most recent 40K treats Robots, assuming it has them at all.

Hi!

The rules stay the same for gold, in the context NEP, then perhaps other ways of doing it need to be explored.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MagnusIlluminus wrote:

Hi

I read it in the context of that there is one master program that all robots must folllow not that you can create your own.
From here i viewed is case (1-4) as plausible outcomes on a table, where case 1-4 maps to action A - D. Action E is then left dangling and that confused med quite a lot. As i see 4 as the catch all case, action E really seems to be out of place.

Now, from what i gather from you guys expiations there actually exists cases that not covered by 1-4 and then E is put to use.

Does that make any sense?

Any how i think that i agree with primarch, this is really open to interpretation. What I think that I should do is to define a few programs, "Attack", "Defend", "Clear objective" and hold objectice + plus mayhaps a few others. Then let robots choose from these before the game starts. That will still yield flexibility and some well know rules for how the robots play out. If i was creating a scenario i would tailor program to fit the scenario.

Cheers

Last edited by alsted on Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ah, I see where the confusion is. As written, yes there is one "Master Program" that all Robot formations must be programmed with. This is entirely detailed by questions 1 to 4. Questions 1 to 4 are NOT outcomes and are not directly mapped to any options. You must select for yourself exactly which letter gets applied to each question, should that question be relevant. To put that another way, the questions form the parameters by which the program is defined and by applying one lettered option to each question you create the program for that group of Robots to follow.

For example, if you wanted a Program to make your Robots enter Close Combat with foes, never shoot them, or capture an objective if no foes are around, it could look like: 1A, 2E, 3E, 4D or 1A, 2A, 3A, 4D. If you wanted a program to enable your Robots to hunt down foes and shoot them, it could look like: 1E, 2C, 3B, 4A or 1C, 2C, 3A, 4A.

In other words, read each question as if it says: "If this situation is valid, then the Robots will do this action." You are the one who sets up the actions that correspond to each question, so the system is intended to work in the way that you were thinking about doing anyway.

You seem to have deleted the leading square bracket before the end quote.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi

Thanks for the clarifications :)

Cheers