Login |  Register |  FAQ

Is it possible to win with Orks?!!

Post subject: Is it possible to win with Orks?!!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

With transports that don't come as standard, vehicles that are slow-moving, have poor armour, and rotten weaponry. and worst of all a stupid command rule that makes them even more restrictive than I.G., I think it is time to face facts and say officially; the Orks are utter gash!!!

Is there anyone out there that disagrees? Given the fact that I've just painted up a huge Ork army, I'm hoping the answer to this is "yes"!

:sos

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Is it possible to win with Orks?!!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
With transports that don't come as standard, vehicles that are slow-moving, have poor armour, and rotten weaponry. and worst of all a stupid command rule that makes them even more restrictive than I.G., I think it is time to face facts and say officially; the Orks are utter gash!!!

Is there anyone out there that disagrees? Given the fact that I've just painted up a huge Ork army, I'm hoping the answer to this is "yes"!

:sos

Hi!

Sure!

I have won many times with orks, but I don't consider them a "beginner" army. You do however need to figure out just how to play them. They are similar to tyranids and sometimes chaos in style.

If you played a lot of imperials and eldar, then you need to rethink your strategies since they play nothing like those two armies.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've been trying to sacrifice flanks and keep them grouped together (safety in numbers) but it just isn't happening.

I was playing against the Eldar. 7 objectives to the Eldar in turn 1. Game almost over (40 for win).

Other highlights:

Eldar have more units to deploy so the Warlock Titan is last on to the board, knocks a few power fields off, no big trouble. Next turn, Eldar wins initiative. Warlock Titan charges Gargant. Gargant snap fires (-1 overall because of witch sight). Out of that huge armament, absolutely nothing hits - much misses, only 1 shot breaches the fields and that scatters to miss. Warlock Titan runs past Gargant, spins around, strips shields and inflicts maximum damage on the boiler. A Revenant and entire host of Grav Tanks have yet to open fire on the Gargant, but it isn't looking good...

12 Bad Moons boys are next to the Gargant - again, one shot gets through the fields, scatters to miss.

8 Goff Nobs have their sights on the Revenant: 7 hit, 1 gets through, armour holds up!

Maybe it's not so much the Orks as horrible luck. >:(

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sounds like you need some new dice! :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
I've been trying to sacrifice flanks and keep them grouped together (safety in numbers) but it just isn't happening.

I was playing against the Eldar. 7 objectives to the Eldar in turn 1. Game almost over (40 for win).

Other highlights:

Eldar have more units to deploy so the Warlock Titan is last on to the board, knocks a few power fields off, no big trouble. Next turn, Eldar wins initiative. Warlock Titan charges Gargant. Gargant snap fires (-1 overall because of witch sight). Out of that huge armament, absolutely nothing hits - much misses, only 1 shot breaches the fields and that scatters to miss. Warlock Titan runs past Gargant, spins around, strips shields and inflicts maximum damage on the boiler. A Revenant and entire host of Grav Tanks have yet to open fire on the Gargant, but it isn't looking good...

12 Bad Moons boys are next to the Gargant - again, one shot gets through the fields, scatters to miss.

8 Goff Nobs have their sights on the Revenant: 7 hit, 1 gets through, armour holds up!

Maybe it's not so much the Orks as horrible luck. >:(

Hi!

Your going to have to odd the Kult of Speed and Evil sunz to your orks for much needed speed. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You can have descent results with orks but you must focus on good units:

- Nobz & Nobz Warbikes (Elite, HQ, Command), take a least one extra card per clan, more if possible
-> if you field Nobz Warbikes, consider picking at least 1 bikeboy card to "protect" your Nobz Warbike, KoS buggys are vehicles so your opponent can target your bike Nobz behind. With a screen of bikeboyz, he must target them before your valuable Nobz.
- BrainCrushas & Soopa Guns (best range units, good to-hit value, good tsm) and soopas are independent!
- Fighta Bommas/Bommas (by 6 or 9, not by 3), at least, you'll get barrage templates!
- 'Copters: by 2 cards. They are independents, skimmers, move insanely fast and tsm -1 is very interesting to shoot at enemy vehicles/shooting down fields. At least, they can handle Void Spinners turn 2 or wave serpents turn 1.
- Great gargants with 2 death kannons + 1 or 2 observation turrets, at least you'll shoot on a 2+ and you can snap fire pop-uping units. A big mob with 2 slashas + 1 great gargant grants 12 fields on the great gargant. If you use a Gork Head with observation Turret, you can consider placing a magna cannon turret on a shoulder, this is the only good AA unit in the Orks ( no range limit and hit on a 4+ with an observation turret).
- Mekboy Dragsta to protect your costly units (under or behind the dome)
- Freebooters to place the too dangerous infantry mekboy reward cards on them (and 1 SkullHamma costs just 100 points to transport them)
- Warboss Card is a must have, for 50 more points than a standard nobz card, you get a warboss, 1 more nobz stand and are motorized! A very good points investment.
- For transport, unless you play an already motorized clan (Evil Sunz/Blood Axe), forget the battle wagons and invest in SkullHammas, they don't have a moral value!

Since NetEpic has become a game of activations, even with Orks, you have to play with as much activations as possible. Seeing a rush of 30 KoS buggys on the table is very Orky but in the current metagame, it's a waste of points and activations. Focusing on Nobz/Boss/Nobz Warbike, at least, will ensure you to have units that will hold objectives during the whole game.

Last edited by scream on Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This is excellent Scream, thank you very much for posting your thoughts on this. I don't have any flyers for any of my forces so won't use them for the timebeing, but clearly I need to invest in some minis of those Dragstas & Soopa Guns!

I very much appreciate your help sir! ;)

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I try to have transport (ground and air) for all my Ork mobz ... even in victory, you'll probably take some losses, may be heavy at times ... Use their fast vehicles, buggies etc. to attack flanks ... Put slower stuff like Big Gunz and Dreads quickly in a postition and shoot, shoot, shoot, repeat ... The same could be said about Gargants/Stompas ... and all Gargant should pack gunz ... no close combat stuff ... And shoot x 10 !!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cheers Legion, the firepower from those mobs did seem good but fortune did not seem to smile upon me! I shall try not to give up on my little green friends!

I meant to say, there was almost a moment of pure legend in that game: An Eldar Revenant Titan steamed over to an objective defended only by Madboyz and immediately annihiliated 3 of them. One was hid behind a hill which was the only reason for survival. So, with the unit decimated a roll was made on the Madboyz table - 11!

This meant the Madboyz stand charged but the only thing anywhere near was the Revenant! It engaged the Titan in close combat and because of the result on the Madboyz table, they had a double roll of the dice v the Revenant's overall 2D6+5 CAF. 7 for the Revenant = a total of 14... The Revenant rolled 10, which meant a total of 15! Damn it, so close to a moment of eternal shame for the Eldar!

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I assume the madboyz made it past the anti infantry weapons that titans now carry?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mattman wrote:
I assume the madboyz made it past the anti infantry weapons that titans now carry?

On account of the fact that the Titan crews were blissfully unaware of them, yes. ;D

Net Epic Evolution Rules

Last edited by The Bissler on Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm sure the Titan would have failed that 3+ roll anyway! :P

Thanks for the heads up, we did say how daft it was that Titans have no point defence! :)

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
I'm sure the Titan would have failed that 3+ roll anyway! :P

Thanks for the heads up, we did say how daft it was that Titans have no point defence! :)

Hi!

Haha! You and me are the same Bissler. We keep saying that certain rules don't exist and they do! ;D

I think we should actually sit down and read them sometime. ;)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Rules, schmules... :D

Though you may be on to something there Primarch...

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It occurs to me that the Eldar player cheated. You said that the Titan ran past and around the Gargant to engage it in Close Combat from the rear (though how that affected the shields, I don't know). That's illegal, as to enter Close Combat one must move directly to the target in as straight a line as possible.

More than any other Faction (except possibly Guard), one has to expect and even plan for taking losses when playing Orks. It's just their style. Yes, they can win, but as said above, their playing style is different from other armies. This would be apparent if you read the fluff, but since you don't, I can see how you'd miss it.