Login |  Register |  FAQ

Space Marine (2nd ed Epic) How to deal with Eldar?

Post subject: Re: Space Marine (2nd ed Epic) How to deal with Eldar?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
I was considering a warlord battlegroup in my first game, being essentially 400 points cheaper each.

It's an amazing savings to be sure. Keep in mind however, that the Reaver and Warlord Battle groups are Titan Legion only cards, and thus are not available to space marine or Imperial Guard armies unless you take them as allies. However, at 3000 points, a single allied warlord group is exactly 50%! Lots of folks, my group included, don't allow allies, so ask your opponent first.

Quote:
If remember there was card for a single Warlord Titan in the Titan Legions boxed set

There was, but it stayed at 900. Odd really.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

deacon wrote:
Interesting comments zap - about your titan "best-to-worst" scale: I've always thought warlords were overpriced by about 150 points. (Even the battle group card seems to agree - 1500 for 3. Standard titan groups are 3 for 2 deals). Anyways, for 100 more points you can get 2 reavers, or 4 warhounds which offer 6 and 8 titan weapons respectively. If yer playing as a titan leagion, 1000 points can get you three reavers!

So, why do you put Warlords where you do in your scale - is it the choice of weaponry they have access too?

Reavers are clearly the best value for the points. You get 3 weapon mounts for 500 vs 4 for 900 on the Warlord. The Warlord also has the awful front reactor. However, Warlords can mount decent long range weaponry and some configurations are crazy good. In my experience Warhounds are too short ranged and too fragile to survive long, particularly against Eldar. They always seem to be easy points. I almost never take them against anyone other than Orks and Chaos. So, Reavers the best by a long margin, Warlords useable with caution, and Warhounds a no go zone.

Your milage may vary of course. Also note, this changes in NetEpic where the Warlord becomes king of the titans again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

scumofsociety wrote:

zap123 wrote:
For Guard, Tac company, Heavy Company, Rough Rider Company, Arty company, Shadow Swords, sentinels. 3000 points that will smush any Eldar army :)

I don't have the models for the roughrider co, any other suggestions for a replaceent.

The Beastmen company is a decent substitute, though you will lose mobility and Independent. Get the models if you can though, RR company is a key formation for a successful Guard army.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

deacon wrote:
However, at 3000 points, a single allied warlord group is exactly 50%! Lots of folks, my group included, don't allow allies, so ask your opponent first.

We play RAW so allies are fine but can only be 25% of the PV, so I could go for an Admech army with marines, or just admech, I got about 30K points worth of guard/admech it's just that most isn't painted.

EDIT: Hang on...I'm thinking of Rogue Trader 40k rules, armies of the Imperium says Imperial armies can be divided any way you like, they aren't actually ally contingents, they're the same force, can't see anything about them needing to be taken as allies.

Anyway, battle is now over. I lost by 40vp to 24, which given the poor unit choices I made and a couple of really poor tactical decisions wasn't too bad. I also had a completely undamaged warlord left while he'd lost his titan and avatar, so if we'd been playing annihilation I might still have been able to swing it. Anyway, next time I'll take all your suggestions into account and play the army list from the previous page.

Thanks again for your advice everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh, and additional general question about the board, I know net epic and 2nd ed aren't technically the same thing, I just had my post moved here by the admins because they said netepic was the closest to 2nd ed, but I assume there wouldn't be any objections to posting 2nd ed battle reports on the netepic board?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

NEVER!
Go on ;D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cool. Well next battle we have I'll try to take some photos and keep notes etc so I can put a write up on the battle reports board.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looking forward to it.
I have one on hold too.
But I am too lazy to post it ;D
It was a desaster for the Squats