Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

Returning Epic player needs some Army advice

Post subject: Returning Epic player needs some Army advice
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've used all those units like that in your Dark Angels list and I don't think you'll be disappointed. The Deathwing are fragile and always going to be a target but used wisely they can seriously damage the enemies plans.

I'm not sure of the Two Great Companies. What, no love for Long Fangs? Sure they have a short range but are nearly un-killable. I've frustrated many Chaos and Tyranid players with a Long Fang Pack holding objectives and generally being a pain.

Got luck no mater what you pick and yes, a battle report would be great.

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

thanks, I'm still thinking about longfangs instead of landraiders but I dont think I have that many Devastators left due to the devastator company in the darkangel army =) so hopefully the landraiders can give me some longrange support instead...

so far I've painted a whooping 1 deathwing stand + 2 deathwing landraiders, so I have abit to go, and Im still no closer of getting 3-4 good fun tournamenty Eldar lists from the availible eldar units I have =/
so if anyone is boored the list is 2-3 pages back ;) might be 1 850p warhost more then I wrote up even...

oh and I finally got a good painting lamp =) woot now I can see the little suckers!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

some more questions!

the eldar titan Powerfist doesnt seem to give any +CAF, is that true? is it only for grabbing attack + 4shots?

and do I have to have wingmounts? (and boy how booring mounts compared to the warlord titan =D)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, rubbish isn't it. It's the same with the Imperial Power Fist and thingy claw thing too. I always think that the Eldar Titan with Fist should be allowed to wield a huge Dire Sword, that would be cool. You can keep the four ranged attacks and Grab damage. It'd make a cool converted titan too.

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just the Grab attack, but at least you get the Shuricats option, so it's miles better than the Imperial version.

I like the Dire Sword option.  Extra 50 points for +d6 CAF?

Weapons mounts are optional for Imperials based on old precedents.  I guess logic would dictate that we extend that to Eldar and other units with weapons mounts, but for Eldar there is no precedent and I'd be inclined to say no.  The missiles are only 25 each so there is a cheap option if you want it.  I use a bargain Phantom config with a Heat Lance, Powerfist and one of each wing for 500pts, but you could make it 450 with 2 missile wings :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If you liked the Diresword idea then you may like some of my other changes/suggestions. I think the Eldar Titan Weapons idea deserves it's own thread so that's what I'm off to do. I sense that Avatar Swords are going to become scarce.

The wing weapons are part of the Holowing and so MUST be present IMO. The Missile Launcher is crud compared to the Eldar Knights (Fire Gale?) Wing/shoulder mounted missile launcher. I feel that with the Eldars lack of Barrage Weapons the Titan Wing Missile weapons should be -2TSM.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Malleus?

Aren't you local to me and the other ones?

Join the group?

092b85658e746a91d343e53509d357744e56f641

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Erik M @ 06 Jan. 2009, 10:32 )

Malleus?

Aren't you local to me and the other ones?

Join the group?

Tja, Göteborg lokalt?
Vilken grupp, var håller ni hus osv?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

PM... Else the rest will think we are some sort of aliens... There's already water-living and chin-pouch collecting animals present...  :whistle:

092b85658e746a91d343e53509d357744e56f641

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Warhead @ 06 Jan. 2009, 10:22 )

The wing weapons are part of the Holowing and so MUST be present IMO. The Missile Launcher is crud compared to the Eldar Knights (Fire Gale?) Wing/shoulder mounted missile launcher. I feel that with the Eldars lack of Barrage Weapons the Titan Wing Missile weapons should be -2TSM.

Armies are supposed to have weaknesses.  One of the Eldar's is an almost complete lack of barrage weapons (to which they are philosophically opposed I'd imagine).  No -2TSM for you  :grin:.  Does bring up a good point though, should the Standard Eldar list have access to Knights?

I agree that the wing mounts are mandatory.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ah, but the fluff exists that bears out the fact that the Eldar DO have missile launchers and they fire plasma warheads that provide better penetration than the Imperials... admittedly it's all in 40K as is usual.

Our Houserules have allowed a Missile Launcher Support Anti-Grav platforms for infantry support with 75cm range 3BP each and -0TSM while the Wing Weapons get the -2TSM. Job done. No Exodite Knights in the Craftworld lists for you my friend!  :tongue:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There are already Knights in the standard list, so the Codex lists would have access to them already.  I'm suggesting that seeing there is a dedicated Knight list that perhaps they should be removed from the standard list?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There are already Knights in the standard list, so the Codex lists would have access to them already.

Yeah, I remember thinking that odd when I skimmed over it first time. I also remember there were all sorts of restrictions as to what you could take from the original rules in SM.
With the exception that the Knights look cool I'd rather have units that can pop-up. The Holofield is ok but most of the Knights have to be in LOS to fire. Three units is way too fragile for close combat IMO, even in Company strength. For me tactically the Knights turned out to be a bit of a dud. If people reading this had always wanted these models then I would say, you're really not missing that much. They just look good. On paper and physically.

I'm suggesting that seeing there is a dedicated Knight list that perhaps they should be removed from the standard list?
:oh: ...Well, it wouldn't matter much to me as I have only been allowing them as Exodite Allies anyway but if there are Eldar Knight owners out there they may want to find their voice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cruddy pic, but I just finished my Knight army, so they should do even better next battle (fully painted minis fight better!).  Now basing lots of bugs for the next army  :grin:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Lovely work Zap. I like the colours you've chosen. I've been thinking of banners and flags for mine... if I can be bothered.

Lately I've found that all of my newly painted armies usually gets a tanking first time round.  :sigh:  Something about pride before a fall or something...  :))  Hope these guys do well for you though Zap.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next