Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Returning Epic player needs some Army advice

Post subject: Returning Epic player needs some Army advice
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm looking forward to seeing these in battle Malleus. On another note OI now have I have two Warbarques... does anyone else think there should be rules for these models? What about Abattoirs? Aeonic Orbs? Anything else missing?.. Also what rules are you guys using? I have what I found on the Wiki, but just want to make sure I have the up to the minuet rules.

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, seeing as the wargamesfactory still havent made their skelton/android models yet and I've found no other models for them thats put to ice.. BUT I have bought some Orksy mayham instead and while not enough of it is painted yet to make an army I have enough for maybe 2 armies ( or hopefully will have soonish)

I am curious on how other orkplayers would make a 4000p army, having only played against ork ~15 years ago and then at around 7000p Im somewhat at a loss on how to make a fun one!
To me it seems like I'd need the optional rule to be able to make a nice Waaagh as 5 support cards / clan just isnt enough, I'd like to be able to flesh out my mob with some more nobz and boys but after that I've used up 2-3 slots and the poor clan gets no support! ^_^ so I need some inspiration!

At the moment I have:
1 Goff clan
1 Snakebite Clan
1 Kult of speed
7 Mekboy dragsta/speedstas
2 Magna doomdivercannons (which I plan on using as liftadroppas I think)
2 giblets
2 skullhamma
1 great gargant
2 cards of Shokk attakk guns (most awesome fun!)
2cards of madboys
1 card each of gretchin/stormboys/kommandos/wildboys.
1 card of Copters (though I have 8 of them so 3 are useless)
And enough stands of ordinary boys to make 1 more clan (I'm stuck shoosing between evil suns and blood axes atm)
lots of nobz warbikes
loads of wartracks, scorchas
LOTS other tanks (including some goff tanks, evil suns tanks and a shitload of what I think are the epic 40K gunwagon tanks they look like bonebreaka/bonecrushas so thats what I think Im going to play them as,

And what the **** do I put in the fortresses? 5 stands of what?

Im hoping to scrape up some more boys/nobz to be able to make a bad moon clan too, and I'd love to find a mekboy gargant and slasha gargant just because gargants are so orky ;)

So any and all help/tips on Orks is appreciated!
// Malleus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Question about mega gargants:
1. does the mega gargant get the Titan point defence 3+ kill against each stand that tries to board it?
2. if the enemy can board the titan can I embark regular nobz/gretchin/boys too then?
I mean is the mega gargant actually more vunerable against infantry attacks then the great gargant?

3. The Datacard hitlocations.. are those to show what has been destroyed?

somewhat tired and the corerules + the ork mega gargant rules are somewhat confusing me atm =D

// Malleus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, it's been a while but this is what I think...

1) I believe you get the Titan/Gargant defence save against Infantry. But now that you mentioned it..?  

EDIT: No, looking at it again I'm happy that this covers all Titans and Ork Gargants of any type. My question would be, do Imperators still get their Bolter Point Defence as well? (IMO too much! but needs clarified for others).

2)Yes, you could. But there is only so much space and the Krew occupy the space there is. You select your krew before play. (I always wondered if you could take extra cards of Boyz, Knobs and Gretchen and have them tag along to replace perished Krew).

3)Yes, just like the Imperitor Datacard.

Here is a change I made you might like to consider. I always thought the Krew compliment to be a bit light considering those massive models and especially the cool doors at the back. Therefore I changed the capacity for the two guard rooms to allow them to hold 4 stands each. Up to Dreadnought scale and that Gretchen can double up in one location on account of being small. Destroyed locations would kill both. It meant I could release a mob on foot to seize/storm a building or objective and so long as the Mega Gargant or suitable Knob was within range the unit would stay under Command.

EDIT II: As to the previous posted question about what I would take in an Ork Waaagh...

I would take the Kult of Speed and the Renegade Mekboy Special Card and try to max it out with units with left over points. It doesn't much matter what you put in (+1 mob Knob Bikes for sure) so long as they are fast and that it pushes the break point sky high. Max points spent 1500 but try to go for cheaper and just as big BP.

The Goffs or Badmoonz next, unless you have them defending get them in vehicles and if you can always include Madboys or Gretchen, their free. Vehicles would be 3x SkullHamma or Giblet Grinders for the boys, depending how far they need to go and who they're facing and Knob Battlewagons for the Knobs. Include a Mekboy shield speedsta. I would also pick the Great Gargant Special Card for this Clan and the weapons would be maxed.

This would leave you about 500 - 600 points-ish. Deathskull Clan? Wildboyz? Shokk attack guns are great and two units are better than one.

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

how about these armies?
some of them need some more crap I havent decided on yet, and all of them needs to fill up on gretchins, madboys and freebooterz.. and perhaps some mekboy or painboy.
Do they look OK? (I've tried to make 2 ok Ork armies, the 3rd are mostly leftovers)

-= ORK ARMY 1: Bad moon Waaaaagh =-

500    SPECIAL: Warlord with Stompas
600    Bad Moon clan
200    Bad Moon Weirdboy Battletower
100    Shokk Attack Gun Team

600    SPECIAL: Renegade Mekboys (8 speedstas)
650    Goff Clan
100    Lungbursta Squadron
100    Lungbursta Squadron  *not painted*

400    Kult of speed
200    Nobz bikes
100    Warbuggies  *not painted*
050    Scorcher Squadron  *not painted*
== 4000p

-= ORK ARMY 2: Evil Sunz Waaaaagh =-
785   SPECIAL: Great Gargant
/Gutbuster/Super lifta droppa/Mega Cannon/Scorcher Turret/Observation Turret/Gork head
600    Evil Sunz Clan            *enroute*
100    Spleenrippas  *not painted*
050    Evil Sunz Bowelburna Squadron   *not painted*
150    Bonebreakas
150    Bonebreakas

600    Snakebite clan
100    Snakebite Boarboys
100    Snakebite Squig Katapult battery

400    Kult of Speed *not painted*
200    Nobz bikes    *not assembled*
050    Scorcher Squadron  *not painted*
150    'Copter Squadron  *1 not painted*
== 3635p

-= ORK ARMY 3: Deathskulls Waaaaagh =-
500    SPECIAL: Warlord with Stompas
500    Deathskulls Clan
250    Stompa Mob  *not painted*
250    Pulsa rokkit battery
250    Pulsa rokkit battery
250    Pulsa rokkit battery  *not painted*
150    Hopsplat battery

600    Blood axe Clan
100    Gutrippa Squadron
050    Evil Sunz Bowelburna Squadron   *not painted*

400    Kult of Speed (Using the old badmoon models)
100    Skulhamma
100    Gibletgrinda
== 4000p

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Not sure why you would want two Bad Moon Weirdboy Battletowers in the same Mob. Use one and add a Mekboy shield dragster.

The Goff Clan, switch the Renegade Mekboys with the Kult of Speed, they'll be able to move more that way and wont be tied to foot slogging infantry. Give the goffs some transports to get them into the thick of it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++

The Evil Sunz look fine, always nice to field Ork Tanks. Bonebreakers are my favourite.

Snakebites? What are they for, sitting back on Objectives? You need more range. If they need to advance then your Shokk Attack Guns can't fire. I always wanted to field a Snakebite Boarboys Mob, that would make the Snakebites cool. I never play this clan, goffs are better.

The Kult of speed looks ace, let me know how the copters do.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++

Deathskulls, ok... lots of artillery, that's fine too. These guys can't stray far then.

Bloodaxe, again two weirdboy towers, same advice as before. Mixing tanks with infantry without vehicles just ties your tanks down to advance orders. You're restricting your tactical options in game I think. However, it depends what you face on the day.

Kult of speed, wouldn't it be better to swap the battle Fortresses over to  the Bloodaxes and put fast tanks here?

++++++++++++++++++

Well, that's some food for thought. Personally I would try it and see for yourself. Nice collection you have there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

thanks, I have 2 Dragstas to use with the renegade mekboys, so the idea was to charge the goffs and let the dragstas be on advance orders covering the goffs charge ( with the bubblechukka, liftadroppas and rocketdragstas acting as firesupport) while the kult of speed are fast I doubt they need dragsta shielding as much as the goffs, and I think it takes abit to many support cards to get the goff clan mechanized ( 3 cards if I count correctly =)

and Im not sure why I wouldnt want 2 battletower (except that they lower the breakpoint somewhat), they are fun AND some longrange firepower that the poor orks sorely miss. (sure they are pretty easy to shoot out though =/

I also have a Mega gargant but I dont feel its quite as fun playing with it =(

The skullhamma and giblet grinda I just threw in there as I have 5 fortress and didnt use any of them =) they are pretty crappy... If there had been a support card or special card that allowed me to Mechanize a whole Clan with fortresses that would work SO much better, same with battlewagons, gimmi a support or specialcard! =D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: 

Optional Rule: Ork Hordes
Unlike other armies that are limited to 5 Support Cards per Company, Ork Clans have the option of purchasing an additional 5 Support Cards above and beyond the normal limit (10 in all). These additional Support Cards may only be Extra Boyz, allowing large hordes of greenskins in a single clan.

Try it, it works well and looks way scary on the table. I've tried foot slogging across the table, it doesn't work, not if you want a game finished by turn three which is probably when your time will start running out.

Battle Fortress comes with Damage Tables but my gripe with them is that they used to be Independent having their own Kaptain in command. So they could go off and do stuff. So technically they could boss the troops they transported too. No worries if the Knobs all buy the farm. IIRC, this was also true with Stompas too.

I thought the double Weird Boy tower wouldn't work and would drain power from each other but it looks like they don't and you can count the units for Waaaagh power per weirdboy tower, good one. That makes two towers awesomely cunning and deadly... I'm sure they'll put a stop to it so sssshhh!  :shutup:

For extra speedstas, convert Battlewagons with lots of interesting 40K stuff. Anything goes for Orks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Skullhammer and Giblet Grinder are both still Independant.......

They are extremely useful too.  I usually cart a card of Freebooters around in their own Skullhammer to grab an objective my mobz wont get near, and the SH can provide nice flanking fire once they are there.  I've also taken the whole Goff clan in Skullhammers.....pretty awesome way to get them across the board FAST and still leaves you tons of firepower.  :yay:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As Im to stupid to know when to quit I recently bought some IG and titan legion stuff and made a whooping 4 armies out of it.. and then I still have a freaking Imperator and Knight Paladin household over... hrmpf perhaps I should weave it into "The Rest" army somehow..

So how do you guys think these armies look? are they TO good or are they Ok for a friendly game?

-= Titan Legion =-
2250    Imperator Titan
700    Warlord Titan 2x MRL / 2x Vulcan Megabolters

600    Knight Paladin Household
200    Knight Paladin Detachment
150    Hellhound Detachment -- Only there to have something to spend the last 150 points on =)

== 4000p

-= Mechanized Adeptus Militaris =-
550    Leman Russ Company

650    Baneblade Company
225    Shadowsword

600    Heavy Infantry Company
125    Ogryn Platoon
100    Ratling Sniper Platoon

600    Gorgon Tactical Company

600    Artillary Company

350    Imperial Bike Company
200    Rough Rider Squadron

== 4000p

-= Adeptus Militaris with Adeptus Mechanicus support =-
650    Baneblade Company
225    Shadowsword

650    Rocket Company

600    Artillary Company
 50    *Commissar

600    Heavy Infantry Company
200    Rough Rider Squadron
125    Ogryn Platoon
100    Ratling Sniper Platoon

600    Knight Paladin Household
200    *Knight Baron

== 4000p

-= The Rest =-
100    *Adeptus Mechanicus
250    Deathstrike Battery 1 Warp missile (looks like a plane) and 2 Barrage Missiles
250    Deathstrike Battery 1 Warp missile (looks like a plane) and 2 Barrage Missiles
200    Basilisk Battery
200    Bombard Battery

100    *Adeptus Mechanicus
100    Mole mortar Battery
100    Thudd gun Battery
100    Thudd gun Battery

300    Assault Infantry Company

200    Beastman Platoon
150    Sentinel squadron
150    Sentinel squadron
150    Sentinel squadron
100    Robot squadron

= 4000p

cheers!

// Malleus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Rest army looks kinda kooky.  Normally I would be a little unimpressed at 3 full batteries of Deathstrikes, but the rest of the army is so not Min/Max'd I guess it's not so bad.

The other three armies look pretty cool  :yay:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11