Login |  Register |  FAQ

New Eldar Superheavy proposal

Post subject: Re: New Eldar Superheavy proposal
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I agree, it would be a nice addition :) I have few E:40K Cobras that I don't know what to do with ;)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

the revenant may not hide itself but has the option to go on charge orders and get hard to hit while being protected by a 2+ fixed save. the revenant table is also the best eldar titan table you can get. the scorpion can always be snapped or get hit by barrage if he decides to stay in cover.

don't get me wrong i like the revenant as cheap as they are right now, because they allow me to use units which are not that effective in the end.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So how about some stats then?

What save? What move? how many points.

I've been going through the ork stuff lately and I've been shocked stunned and appalled at how much better some of the ork stuff is in overall toughness and firepower.

If Eldar are supposed to be glass cannons, then they need to have units with more punch to be the cannon part of the glass cannon equation.

A mobile heat lance tank that is designed to kill other tanks and enemy titans is a prime candidate for a tough little tank hunter.

One question though... if the cobra from 3e is now a heat lance tank... then what about the scorpion from 3e?

It's much bigger than a tempest, but smaller than a scorpion. Seems like a logical midway evolution of the two. Maybe say that the twin lasers are actually a version of the pulse laser that the Rev is armed with.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That's what the real Scorpion is. I think the E40K is still ok as a Scorpion myself, though I know one guy who uses them as Tempests.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As for stats, 1+ Armour, 5 CAF, 25cm move/skimmer, Heat Lance ? Company of 3 for 450?

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ifurita wrote:
I've been going through the ork stuff lately and I've been shocked stunned and appalled at how much better some of the ork stuff is in overall toughness and firepower.

What you need to remember with the Orks is that the majority of their units are subject to the Ork Command rule. This makes some of their units of limited use unless you can get something nearby to command them. Sure, this is a problem that can be solved but most times you need to keep back a portion of your command units to control certain areas and loss of said elements can completely screw your battle plan. Trust me.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

zap123 wrote:
That's what the real Scorpion is. I think the E40K is still ok as a Scorpion myself, though I know one guy who uses them as Tempests.

Ummm, I'd suggest you compare the two minis (The 3e scorpion and the E:A scorpion)

The footprint of the new mini is about double the old one. That means for the old version cover is going to be more effective and easier to make use off, and it's a MUCH smaller target for artillery to hit and harder to establish line of sight on the smaller target it presents.

What I was thinking was that it should have a lower powered version of the pulsar than the current ones on the superheavy scorpion, maybe a lower save mod?

But it also looks to be more heavily armored than the current version from gw. But hey, if your opponents are willing to say that it counts as a normal scorpion then more power to you.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There are heaps of examples of scale creep (and some rare times shrink) between the various versions of specific models. The Eldar supers are probably at the extreme end of this effect but we're not playing for sheepstations anymore. If you have opponents that wont let you use older versions of a model because its' fractionally smaller size gives you an advantage, well, that's not so good.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you about scale creep. And as you said, the eldar supers are probably on the extreme end of this effect. But I'd not say that saying it's fractional is reflective of how big the difference is. I'd say the 3e scorpion is literally 1/2 as big as the new one. That's a big difference. But like you said... if opponents won't let you use the older versions, that's not good.

Heck, look at the tempest... I'm betting that if I compared the size of a tempest to the new Scorpion, I bet we could get 4 or even 5 tempests in the same area that 1 scorpion fills. Hillarious when you think about it.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like the idea about a heat lance super heavy.

Not so hot on yet another Tempest/scorpion variant tbh. Two tanks that fulfill largely the same role is already more than enough IMO (not to mention that the Revenant is in the same ballpark weapons wise). Some abstraction is needed when it comes to scale IMO. It'd be a bit silly if you began to insist that E40k Chaos Marines need armor on par with Space Marine Terminators because the models are the same size. That Turbo Lasers Destructors on the Reaver and the E40k warlords should have different stats because they look different and so on.
I'd be fine with special rules or the E40k Scorpion model, but make them something unique that adds something interesting and new to the Eldar army, rather than just a different sized Scorpion/tempest.

Nobody expects the Inquisition!!!
http://theepiclounge.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So what about the concept that the heat lance superheavy company, and a design that uses the E40K Scorpion model, as the unique designs for one of the newer (fluff wise) Eldar craftworlds? The E:A guys have at least 2 new Craftworld lists now dont they?

E40K Scorp.....I was thinking of a mega shuricat but the weapons don't look the part really. A cold based weapon that causes damage, reduces future armour saves (armour is brittle) and has a chance of immobilising a target (frozen to the ground)? A binary weapon where each does some damage but if both barrels hit a single target there is a mega boom?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hm. An immobilizing weapon sounds interesting. The Eldar already got the nightspinner which can perform "crowd control". It could be interesting tactically to have a weapon that doesn't neccesarily kills, but works in some different tactically disruptive manner. Psychic weaponry is dangerous gound as it easily gets very powerfull. Some kind of morale disrupting weapon that uses the large teardrop template, that causes stuff underneat the template to fail morale tests? This means the weapon must be used in conjunction with a different unit that has either broken the target formation or otherwise caused it to take morale tests.
Or a LoS speed disruption weapon - lets call it a freeze gun (could be wave serpent template): Anything hit suffers a -15cm to it's move the following turn?
Or forces units in the target formation to go on First Fire...or Charge or whatever.
Or some kind of long range holofield projector/flash gun that disrupts enemy targetting systems/makes it difficult to see like a -2 or -3 to hit in the following shooting phase.

Just random thought for effects other than "kaboom". Freezing up that Bloodthirster and blasting him from a safe distance, or causing those pesky squats to fail their morale tests just seems like the kind of sneaky tactics them pointy 'eads would use :D

Nobody expects the Inquisition!!!
http://theepiclounge.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Warmaster Nice wrote:
Hm. An immobilizing weapon sounds interesting. The Eldar already got the nightspinner which can perform "crowd control". It could be interesting tactically to have a weapon that doesn't neccesarily kills, but works in some different tactically disruptive manner.

Remember to Stasis Missile from Adeptus Titanicus?

Something like that maybe?

Quote:
Psychic weaponry is dangerous gound as it easily gets very powerfull. Some kind of morale disrupting weapon that uses the large teardrop template, that causes stuff underneat the template to fail morale tests? This means the weapon must be used in conjunction with a different unit that has either broken the target formation or otherwise caused it to take morale tests.

A sonic weapon maybe? Maybe has the effect of the old Eldar knight psychic lance?

Quote:
Or a LoS speed disruption weapon - lets call it a freeze gun (could be wave serpent template): Anything hit suffers a -15cm to it's move the following turn?
Or forces units in the target formation to go on First Fire...or Charge or whatever.
Or some kind of long range holofield projector/flash gun that disrupts enemy targetting systems/makes it difficult to see like a -2 or -3 to hit in the following shooting phase.

Just random thought for effects other than "kaboom". Freezing up that Bloodthirster and blasting him from a safe distance, or causing those pesky squats to fail their morale tests just seems like the kind of sneaky tactics them pointy 'eads would use :D

If I were going for a completely new weapon, I'd go for either a sonic weapon or a crystal projectile weapon along the lines of the tech used by dark eldar... call it something like the Dual Autofire Crystal Cannon Accelerator (DACCA Pronounce Dakka and is the historical source of the Ork desire for "Mor Dakka")

For the sonic weapon I'd go for it having two settings. One acts like a canister round in microarmor, a teardrop shaped template that starts at the end of the barrels and gets laid down on the table and only effects infantry. Any infantry under it are affected... the closer to the effect origin the more severe. Say divide the range of the template into three zones. Those in the first third get killed/knocked out unless they save, those at the medium range get a +1 save to their basic save(if they don't have a save they get a 6+ save), and those on the far end of it get a +2 save or a 5+ save if they have no basic save.
The template of course is useless against vehicles,but does ignore any and all cover including buildings.
The other setting is an armor penetrating weapon that kills the crew (or knocks them out for the game) of a vehicle but leaves the vehicle intact, and is usable against any vehicle including knights and titans.
Could be a sort of disable the enemy for capture type of weapon, and would be a highly useful tank for say Dark Eldar forces.

For the crystal cannon thing... maybe make it a weapon that you have to say what round you fire that round, You get a choice between an HE (high explosive) round that explodes in two overlapping blast templates (Looks like a figure eight) and only useful against Infantry(does no damage to armored units but kills infantry), and an AP round that can be used to kill tanks, but that is useless against infantry.

Just a couple thoughts

As to the teardrop template thing... I'd use the 40k template for the hellhound, and require a mini be at least 75% under it to be effected.

Again, just some thoughts.

For a name for the 3e scorpion if you were going to go for it being a new tank. I'd go with Dragonelle. It's a mythological beast with a dragon body and a lion's head with a nasty roar for it's main attack.

Point wise, I'd go for a similar point cost, move, and save to the heat lance tank.