Login |  Register |  FAQ

Idea for Resolving Mass Attacks in Strike Legion

Post subject: Idea for Resolving Mass Attacks in Strike Legion
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi All,

I've been contemplating a way to speed up the resolution of a large number of attacks in Strike Legion. Often its not a bit problem, but you could come up with some platoon designs with a whole lot of weapons, and it could be a bit painful to roll through them all (plus you might forget where you started).

Anyways, I play a game called "Squadron Strike" (space ship combat game), and they have method in the rulebook. It basically multiplies the probability of you hitting by the number of attacks, and then has you make a die roll to slightly randomize the number. Its is not statistically identical to the regular method, but its close enough for gameplay (this isn't actuarial science).

I've attached a chart for figuring out how many times you hit with regular vehicle combat (i.e. 2d6 roll vs. signature with to hit mods and EW).

Basically figure out how many attacks you have and what you need to hit and look up the base number of hits. Then roll the dice indicated on the right side. In all cases this indicates a pair of dice. One die is positive, the other negative. Sum them to get a +/- that is applied to the base number. That's how many times you hit. Since both Pen and damage rolls are single dice, this can be sped up by rolling a whole bunch at once. Apply affects from front to back of the target platoon. Obviously there are some intricacies lost in this method, but hey its fast!

If the number of attacks you have doesn't match one of the numbers you can just combine the results of the different rows.

-Tim

Attachments:
Mass Attack Tables.pdf [74.54 KiB]
Downloaded 493 times
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Idea for Resolving Mass Attacks in Strike Legion
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I actually have some 'fast-play' combat rules ready for playtest that run along the same lines (though only the direct-fire portion; nothing for artillery as yet). PM me if you'd like to give them a spin; reports and questions would be nice, since they're going to be included in the in-progress rules compendium.

Anyone interested in looking them over is welcome to do so - this isn't just limited to Tim :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Awesome to both of you. I was on a business trip recently, and started working on my own Strike Legion mod to speed things up, but I ended up going out and drinking and not finishing it :)

I've got the file still...I ca post up some ideas, and I'd love to see KJ's version now that I have Tim's...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've been having time difficulties in getting the rest of the modifications finished myself - 19y/o girls can be a handful at times. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

KaJo wrote:
I've been having time difficulties in getting the rest of the modifications finished myself - 19y/o girls can be a handful at times. ;)

Lol, as can 19 month old girls ;)

KaJo I am still getting my 6mm army assembled. I would love to help out but it will be a bit before I'm honestly able to playtest.

Good to hear about the compendium though!

-Tim