Login |  Register |  FAQ

Artillery and LOS/Direct Fire

Post subject: Artillery and LOS/Direct Fire
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

1. Common sense dictates that Artillery can usually be used on targets outside LOS, or at least in tandem with some sort of spotting unit who can see the target. I dont see that in the rules, however.

The closest I see is on p. 36 (14.2, third paragraph) which states, "when an ART element fires, place a target point marker on the table where the attack will be centered." It doesnt stipulate that this point must be within range, although it is certainly implied in the paragraph above, and doesnt mention anything about LOS, but again, it is implied since it says you can place it on the table.

2. Part of my confusion or uncertainty comes into play when I read the Skunk Works entry on p. 10 (9.1) about Direct Fire Artillery. I think the only thing that changes is that now all elements in the Artillery Platoon fire their weapons normally like any other AT weapon, choosing their targets as they wish, instead of using the CQ test and rolling on the IFC chart. This doesnt imply that ART weapons cannot normally fire "direct", ie not indirect, right?

Thanks!

ps I think you need to use less abbreviations in the text, and get a glossary or index at the back :)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Artillery and LOS/Direct Fire
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ART fire does not require LOS to a target; Direct Fire allows an ART weapon to be fired as an AT weapon at a target in LOS. ART weapons without the Direct Fire capability can be fired at targets in LOS but resolve their attacks as normal ART attacks.

Profile Send private message