Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Thurgrim's Stronghold comments

Post subject: Thurgrim's Stronghold comments
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

First off, you've not counted the Ancestor Lord.  That makes four.  Not three/two.

Lord=Not a character a unit.

Warlord=Character Upgrade to Lord (For Warrior Brotherhood Only) ONE

Ancestor Lord=Character Supreme Commander (All Armies get one somewhere) TWO

Guild Master=Character Upgrade like Lord Bikers Guild Only THREE

I cannot find these anywhere.  Section 4?  Where?  There are a few references to 'tunnels' in Section 5.

Page 168 in the collectors section

But why do they have weapons?  They're not on the models, or in the background.  You're just adding them for the sake of it.

A Majority of players asked for it, as I said above, so they were a minor addition. Cosidering the present 'Count As' rule laid down by Jervis the model weapons hardly matter anymore. Can you find the weapons on the Malefactor?

Well, here are the problems:

1.  The Colossus, and in fact all War Engines don't require any LoS to perform indirect fire.  So the Ironhawk is unneccessary.

2.  Since the Ironhawk's in the Colossus's formation, it can't get far enough away to "spot" (whatever that will be) in any meaningful sense.

3.  When resolving fire against the Colossus, it causes faff.  For starters it's a light vehicle, the Colossus isn't, so working out how to shoot at the formation is tricky ...

I suggest that the Ironhawk is just a decorative model assumed to be zipping around wherever, and having no in-game effect.

Unless the rules are in the correct version you mention.

(1) No they cannot, nor could they in SM/TL. Unless stated in the notes section of a unit's weapon data line that the weapon can perform IDF. Nowhere in the Thurgrimm's list does any weapon on any of the SHTs have the IDF ability.

(2) Players that do buy it for the Colossus, it isn't required, use it to spot targets out of the Colossus's LOS, considering the density of the Terrain in GT battles they find it very handy.

(3) The Epic-A rules clearly state how to deal with mixed target fires dealing with LV, AV, and WE. Consider the Ork Stompa Mob it can contain all three types, and there is no problem dealing with it using them when fired upon. I fail to see how a single Iron Hawk can be a problem in dealing with fire.

Well, the description its given ("it closely resembles the Adeptus Astartes Razorback") makes it sound like you should be using Razorback models, or even Exodus Wars stuff.

A Razorback is a Rhino conversion, and many Squat players that already have Rhinos in their armies just use them. Being a bit pertanical I created weapon mounts for my Squat Rhinos. Once again see Jervis's 'Count As' rule for details in the Epic-A rule book.

So it was a conscious decision?  I thought it'd just happened as Thurgrim's was done before the Epic supplements were released.

TRC was working on the Siege list about the time Thurgrimm's was in development, and was released in book form before Thurgrimm's was completed.

he weapons are the ones it had in SM/TL, fair enough.  But just do a quick comparison with a Warlord Titan.

Warlord
8xTurbo Laser shots at AP5+ AT3+
4xGataling Blaster Shots at AP4+ AT4+
1xVolcano Shot at MW2+TKD3
DC-8, RA, TRA, Fearless, Walker
6xVoid Shields

Take a Colossus or a Cyclops one on one against a Warlord, and the Warlord will most times mop the floor with them. I know we playtested it more then just a couple of times.

It's a nice rough comparison, as the Squat Super Heavies kinda fulfilled a similar role to Titans in the other armies.  Far too many weapons for its paltry cost.  I've shied away from the Cyclops as the Hellfury Pulse is rather devestating.

Actually it rarely gets to use the full effect of the Hellfury Pulse on WEs, the only target the weapon is really good against, preferably after the shields have been knocked down.

(1) If the HP is used against a formation of AVs the most it can take out is ONE AV as per the MWTK rules in the Epic-A rule book.

(2) If the HP strike a WE with shields the maximum number of hits it can score is three. MWD3, the TKD3 for each hit is ignored as the HP cannot use them against a target unless it gets through the shields.

(3) If the HP catches an unshielded WE then yes that WE is in deep trouble. But the Cyclops is mediocre against regular formations, again the batrep I posted shows this very well, as in that game it was what it faced for the whole battle (Kinda hard to KIA WE when the opponent doesn't have any)

Well, hear it now from someone who's read the list and used it.

Maybe if you weren't using the SHT's allowing them to carry out IDF when they can't will change how effective you think they are. Give it a try as that is the way they are supposed to be used, as per the rules.

Anyway, my comments are rubbing people up.  Well, I see it as debate.  I would like to contribute to the next step in the Squat list, so forgive my tone and let me adjust in the spirit of co-operation.

Debate is fine and I have no problem with it, however insulting comments are not debate (Ridiculus, stupid, dumb, idiotic, foolish etc have no place in an intelligent debate and tends to make one not take the speaker seriously)

We are definitely NOT looking for 'pawns that grovel at our every word from on high' so disagreement with suggested changes are exactly what we are looking for. I sure do not think I am perfect, however having worked on Epic-A from its inception I can state with some authority that what something looks like on paper rarely is how it works out on the gaming table (It has come back to bite me often enough). Unlike WH40K there are a lot more subtlties in Epic-A.

The problem with that asked for playtesting is that if the look of the list is dead wrong in ones eyes, then it's hard to summon the energi to playtest it.

When we first started out working on Epic-A, and with all the lists that followed it, we always had to work with first lists that were dead wrong, or broken, in many playtesters eyes.

At one time the Ork Base List had Nobz available in every formation, the results were dramatic to say the least. That same list was too cheap for certain upgrades, and almost limitless in numbers. About the best thing to do was buy a small and build it up as that was cheaper then buying things the other way around. Like it or not it had to be playtested to flesh it out or nothing would get done. Basically you just cannot post a suggestion/complaint without something to back it up with, and the only way to do that is to playtest.

Second, and more importantly, as playtesters it is expected that you also experiment with the list. If you do not like this or that in the list change it to something else, and then play a couple of games and let us know how it worked out. For example if you don't like the Squat, in general, 5+ save for infantry types then change it to 6+, give it a go, and tell us how it worked out. Want to modify the formation sizes, use the base point scales given for the troop types in a formation as a guide for its overall PV, add/subtract units, decide if the new point scale needs adjustment, then give it a go. Of course then let us know how it worked.

That's part of why atleast I am not very active in this. I got my squats, a good bunch of them. But nowhere to dance.

Well if the above has our approval, and it does, then maybe you can dance now (I hope so). One suggestion, just from experience working on this game, try not to stray too far from the base list when making changes. For example yes change all of the Infantry to Armor 6+, but don't change anything else, then get in a couple of quick 'Flash Games'. It will give you a better baseline to determine its effects as you already know the abilities of the other systems in the army (Good or Bad). If it works out then change something else, and give it a go again, and so on.

Both Jaldon and I are glad to see re-newed interest in making the models viable for the community, but we have been very direct about what would be most helpful at present: Playtesting

Hear, hear

Jaldon :p

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh I forgot, 'Flash Games' I know somebody is going to ask.

A game that has the following

(1) 4' x 4' table with eight terrain features.

(2) Uses Armies of between 1,000 and 1,500 points No WEs allowed and a max of one character.

(3) Uses only the GT Scenario.

(4) Battlefield Objectives DO have a memory so you will need markers to show who claimed the objective last.

As a side note to #2. If you are playtesting then WEs can be used as long as the opponent knows they are going to be used, otherwise it isn't going to be much of a playtest of the WE is it.

They are a great way to both playtest and learn the game as a single battle can often be fought to a conclusion in an hour, sometimes less.

Thanks All..........

Jaldon :p

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

But nowhere to dance.
What I mean here is that I got no partner. To be playtesting one need a partner that really (Really!) want to continue playing this exact game. But I'll see what can be scrounged... 'Cause I sure want my squats on the (dance)floor! If shove comes to push I guess I'll have to grab myself for a twin solo performence.

092b85658e746a91d343e53509d357744e56f641

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I had tried 2 3000pts games with my Thurgrim army.
Here are some thoughts from me and my friends.
1) Trike
My friend think it's very powerful with FF 4+ and extra FF MW attack. Even when compare with land speeder which only hv 5+ FF value and no extra FF MW attack, Trike is still much better. But I still think Trike is acceptable, as it can either have the MW5+ or the extra FF MW attack.

2) Land train - Bomb Battle Car
At first glace, it seems not a overpower weapon, one use only MW2+ and TDK(D3) with small BP Template. However when I use it with the rules apply to war engines that are attacked by weapons that use templates. If a war engine lies directly under the centre of a template, then it is subjected to a number of attacks equal to half its starting damage capacity, rounding fractions up. In this case, it make the RAD Bomb become a very very powerful weapons. For example when hitting a Warlord Titan, DC 8 = 4 hit with MW2+ TDK(D3).

Post subject: Re: Thurgrim's Stronghold comments
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

When comparing v1.0 and v1.1 combined lists, I noticed some significant changes which I want to verify before continuing to play Squats. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Guild Master is now a character (which I'm okay with), but the exo-armor upgrade is gone. Was this an oversight or intentional?

2. Thunderfire was AV, is now INF. Is this correct? (I'm glad it's no longer just AA)

3. Spartan used to be able to carry things like Mole Mortars and Tarantulas. I'm guessing this no longer the case since they are mounted, but how about Hearthguard and Robots? Can they still be carried at the cost of 2 slots?

4. Iron Eagles used to have AA5+, but not now. Typo?

5. Termite was in v1.0 list, but not v1.1? On purpose?

6. Leviathan now has AA. Is this correct?

7. Super Heavies had an initiative of 1+ in v1.0, but no there is no mention of it in v1.1.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok...

I realize this is threadomancy of the worst stripe, and if the mods wanna call it as such that cool; I just wanted to get the gravy-train rolling again on the Squat (NOT Demiurge) development.

Thurgrim's Stronghold seems to be a great jumping off point for a solid list usable by all within the E:A community, but I'm gonna list a few things that have just JUMPED OUT at me over the half dozen games of playtesting I've done:

Void Shields on the WE. I'm a big fan of staying ATAP (As True As Possible) to any and all original work when revising or updating rules, and that goes doubly so for guys like the Squats. Look around the interwebs and you can probably find a 40k 'dex I did (still somewhat WIP with the forces section) for Squats in 5th. Yes, I've play tested it, but I put much more energy into keeping it ATAP then looking to nerf/balance. Our WE have Void Shields, always have.

Autocannons/Assault Cannons on certain units. Ditch and replace with what the Squats have always used in their lists: Heavy Bolters, Lascannons, Missile Launchers.

I'll have a number of suggestions more that I'll edit in over today/tomorrow. Please, feel free to make observations/criticisms and suggestions about MY suggestions. I'd really like to see that approved stamp on a version of a Squat list more in-line with the SM/TL versions, as opposed to one aiming for balance at the sake of character. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ironmonger. The Squats have been a bit neglected as of late. There are a few balls up in the air but I'll give you a summary of things you should know:

1. Demiurg are probably being developed as a non-Squat xenos race and supposedly are going to have something out in mid 2012. Because of that tack, the Epic Demiurg list is going to be canned in its current form.
2. I am currently working on a fan supplement which will include a Squat list (maybe two or three). The main list will be some type of modified Thurgrimm's list.
3. The Squat Championship is up for grabs. I've applied for it given the fact that I've got a vested interest in getting the supplement done. Regardless of who gets it though, the list is sure to get some love.
4. I happen to agree with you that we should be trying to get that old flavor of the original lists. My recommendation is to keep the suggestions coming and the reasons WHY you would make those changes.
5. If you fancy yourself a good painter / modeler and you have a good camera, I am always on the lookout for pictures of Squats in games, especially if there is nice terrain to put it with.

Thanks for your comments.

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Moscovian wrote:
Ironmonger. The Squats have been a bit neglected as of late. There are a few balls up in the air but I'll give you a summary of things you should know:

1. Demiurg are probably being developed as a non-Squat xenos race and supposedly are going to have something out in mid 2012. Because of that tack, the Epic Demiurg list is going to be canned in its current form.
2. I am currently working on a fan supplement which will include a Squat list (maybe two or three). The main list will be some type of modified Thurgrimm's list.
3. The Squat Championship is up for grabs. I've applied for it given the fact that I've got a vested interest in getting the supplement done. Regardless of who gets it though, the list is sure to get some love.
4. I happen to agree with you that we should be trying to get that old flavor of the original lists. My recommendation is to keep the suggestions coming and the reasons WHY you would make those changes.
5. If you fancy yourself a good painter / modeler and you have a good camera, I am always on the lookout for pictures of Squats in games, especially if there is nice terrain to put it with.

Thanks for your comments.

Thank you! :D

Yep, I knew most of this, so I'll address the points number by number:

1.) Yep, aware of the Demiurg list and it's direction. No disrespect to the author(s), I'm just not too fond of it, probably because it's not... well... my vision of Squats (i.e. 2nd ed.)

2.) I want to help you with this as much as I can, because it seems to be running along the same lines of my thoughts. Plus, I am more then happy to provide PICS! ;)

3.) Yep, I'm both aware of the vacancy and agree with you that whatever happens the list will get some much-needed love, whoever ends up with the AC-ship...

4.) KEEP WATCHING THE SKIES! Failing that, this space.

5.) See numero dos. I threw a few pics up quick-like in your other thread, but can do a lot better, provided I have more then 60 secs...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The old company cards' upgrades for characters were called Living Ancestor, Guildmaster, and Grand Warlord, so I feel as though these three characters should be the jumping-off point for any revisions of the Thurgrim Stronghold list. The biggest difference between these choices and the Thurgrim's Stronghold is the Grand Warlord. Each Brotherhood has a Lord, who is not the Commander. The Commander is a Warlord, upgradable to a Grand Warlord. I'll give rule suggestions/playtests later on...

A quick note about the WE: I think most people who have played/are trying to play Squats agree that they should have shields, just as they always did. A quick run-through of the WE section of the Thurgrim list, the Cyclops should have it's 6 Void's back, and be bumped up to 600 pts. Another interesting point about the WE of the Squats are what we'd call activations now. They got a "free order" essentially, so I'd really like to see that return in some meaningful way. It was one of the things that made Squats so unique. Maybe push them to 650 and give them something similar to an Impetuous Order in Infinity: basically a free, limited activation, something along the lines of "Squat WE do not suffer penalties for Action or Initiative tests." That would really give players a sense of these titanic tracked behemoths rolling inexorably forward.

Following along this pt adjustment convention would have the Leviathan and Colossus roll in with 4 Void Shields apiece and no Action/Initiative penalty at 500 pts each.

I like that; it's fair, fluffy, in character, and worthwhile.

Last edited by Ironmonger on Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm not sure how a free order would work in Epic Armageddon. It sounds like it might 'break the bank', but maybe you have some rough concept of how that would work. Spell it out if you can.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Moscovian wrote:
I'm not sure how a free order would work in Epic Armageddon. It sounds like it might 'break the bank', but maybe you have some rough concept of how that would work. Spell it out if you can.

Edited post ;) Basically, no negative modifiers on Action/Initiative tests, so not a free order exactly, but something really showing the slow, crushing advance of these big guys...

I'll start posting rules soon, see if they jive with your sensibility

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, we can accomplish that fairly easily with giving them a 1+ initiative. So even with a BM they would activate on a 2+ which is good. Come to think of it I believe both of the lists has them at a 1+ initiative anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I don't remember or can see any +1 initiative in the Thurgrim list, though Stubborn is there. This would be along with Stubborn (which deals with assaults), making them even more like the old vehicles (which couldn't be assaulted). This "Steady Advance" would just make the WEs have a better shot at holding onto the initiative and not having to worry quite as much against silly BM ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:00 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

What kind of special rules did the squats have in SM/TL? Weren't they just like IG with the exception that they had higher break points?

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dave wrote:
What kind of special rules did the squats have in SM/TL? Weren't they just like IG with the exception that they had higher break points?

Some of the more prominent special rules deal with the Living Ancestor (who gave extra orders if close to a Warlord) and the WE (who got to move+shoot for free always-VERY handy!-and could "barge" non-WE's away when engaged.

Also an EDIT for my post talking about Void Shields on WEs: Colossus has 6, so would cost 550, not 500.

So, the biggies could look like this for playtesting purposes:
-Cyclops 600
-Colossus 550
Leviathan 500

Also, regarding WE, where did the "Auto Guns" come from? These girls have Battlecannons. An easy fix without point adjust, I think, to get the Cyclops/Colossus/Leviathan in line with it's SM counterpart. Same would be the speed. Where did 15cm come from? The original speed on all the WEs was 10cm; seems slow until you think about the range and number of guns held by each, as well as the ability to move without an order...

I'll mess with the Land Train tonight...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next