Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

All Quiet on the Martian Front (15mm Tripods vs. Humans)

Post subject: Re: All Quiet on the Martian Front (15mm Tripods vs. Humans)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

splash wrote:
Um...I just looked up their kickstarter, and it's been cancelled:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... nav_search

Guess they lost faith in themselves. Now the Christmas sale could mean something a bit more foreboding.

Hi!

The commentary on their forums of late has a somewhat negative tone.

So yeah, ominous. :(

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Got any examples before I dig out my forgotten username and password and see for myself?

Tau Empire, Mymeara Eldar, Tallarn Desert Raiders

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

splash wrote:
Got any examples before I dig out my forgotten username and password and see for myself?

Hi!

No specific examples.

One of the themes though was the disappointment among the kickstarter backers and not getting some of the stuff. Or not getting it before it was generally available. Some of those guys seem not to be pleased.

Perhaps some griping about some unit or anther not being released other than the kickstarter gripes.

I did notice the posting volume seems less than before, although that is entirely subjective.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ah, ok. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Imagine that! Kickstarter backers griping! Part of the reason I don't back kickstarters is I know that they will never hit their dates. Anyone can put a plan on paper, but very few can make it all work to deadline. I don't believe anyone will have a product until it is being sold in a store near me. :)

I think a lot of the talk is swirling around production of the Goliath Tank and the Overseer Tripod. Some new units have been made, but those ones are still not available.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Easy E wrote:
Imagine that! Kickstarter backers griping! Part of the reason I don't back kickstarters is I know that they will never hit their dates. Anyone can put a plan on paper, but very few can make it all work to deadline. I don't believe anyone will have a product until it is being sold in a store near me. :)

I think a lot of the talk is swirling around production of the Goliath Tank and the Overseer Tripod. Some new units have been made, but those ones are still not available.

Hi!

Very true!

I've participated in many kickstarters and only really consider myself, "burnt" on one (ironically the very first one).

Overall a good track record and I never grip about the time frame unless it goes over the "one year late" mark.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

AQMF- Battle of Camp Release
The commanding officer at Fort Ridgely has suddenly been flooded by refugees from further up the Minnesota River Valley, an event eerily like the start of the last Dakota War. However, the Dakota had long since been moved to the reservations. From their jumbled tales, he suspects that the War of the Worlds has come to his sleepy command. Quickly, he organizes his local militiamen and sends them up river to find out what is going on. In the meantime, he sends word to his superiors at Fort Snelling to prepare to reinforce and help defend the river valley.

Martian Scout Pod
3 Martian Scout Pods

Minnesota Militia Scouting Party
3 Infantry Squads
Machine-Gun Squad
MkII Baldwin Tanks
MKIII Steamer Tanks
MKIIc Command Tank

Scenario:
The Militia is moving up the Minnesota River Valley to investigate reports of Martian Red Weed sighted in the area, and to see if it heralds the approach on the Martian invader into the Minnesota territory.

They have camped over night near the burned out ruins of a farmhouse. The troops are uneasy. They turn in with a single Platoon on guard duty. With the arrival of daybreak, they realize with horror that a Pod of Martian Scout Tripods was active in the area. The closest one had taken up a resting position in a nearby woods. As dawn arrives, both sides suddenly realize the close proximity they are to danger.

With startled shouts, the platoon on guard begins to wake their comrades and man the defenses. The Martian blasts his war horns and summons his fellows into battle!

Special Rules:
Reserves- 2 Martian Scouts begin the game in reserve. Infantry units and the first Martian scout can take action immediately.

The game ends after the opposing army is broken.

Set-up:
The Militia set-up on their half of the board. The Command Tank is placed anywhere within 12 inches of the short edge, and 24 inches in from the edge. All human units must be deployed within 8 inches of the command tank to represent the human camp.

The Martian Tripod is set-up on the opposite side within 6 inches of the short board edge and 12 inches from either side. They are set-up in a light wooded area.

Turn 1
Initiative: Minnesotans
The Minnesotans win Initiative. The Infantry scrambles for cover in the farmhouse ruins and the orchard, while the watch platoon prepares to fire on the revealed scout. The Command Tank moves over to the side of the ruins.

The Scout moves to the edge of the woods and waits, blowing his martian horns and waiting for reinforcements.

Turn 2
Initiative: Martians
A second scout appears from deeper in the woods and answers his friend's call. The first scout waits, while the second one moves up.

No more Minnesotans come to their comrades aid. The third platoon moves up towards the stream banks to dig in.

Turn 3
The first scout breaks the woodline. He aims his Heat Ray at the troopers in the 1st Platoon near the stream. He fires. He hits with a 10, and the infantry element gets incinerated, but they stay put. The second scout burst through the woodline and prepares to surge forward.

The Minnesotans hold in cover and wait for the Scouts to approach. They ready their weapons.

Turn 4
The two martians move closer to the 1st platoon, intent on incinerating them piecemeal. They open fire, the first misses his target element, but the second incinerates one of them. The last unit holds. One of the scouts moves towards the 2nd platoon.

In return the Minnesotans jump into the action. No reinforcements come to the battle. The command tanks 4-pounder booms out across the field of battle, but the shot goes wide. The last of 1st Platoon takes careful aim and fires. Most of the shots bounce off harmlessly, but one shot takes off a point of damage. 2nd platoon misses. They stay in cover.

Turn 5
The first scout crosses the stream to engage 2nd Platoon. The other one moves to finish off 1st Platoon.
The Valiant boys of 1st platoon are killed where they stand. The other scout tries to sweep 2nd Platoon, but misses. The first scout crosses back over the stream and takes cover in the brush.

The Minnesotans get ready to counter-attack the cautious scouts. They can almost hear their reinforcements rumbling up behind them. The 2nd Platoon opens fire with rifles and manages to damage the first scout again. The command tank again misses.

Turn 6
The scouts move boldly across the stream now. Scout 2 opens fire on the command tank, but misses. The second scout misses a sweep on the 2nd Platoon. Scout 2 moves deeper into Minnesotan territory,while the first scout takes cover on the opposite side of the stream bed.

Both of the Tank platoons enter on the Minnesotan board edge. The Type II's are crushing the soy bean fields as they approach, while the threes move across the open ground. 2nd Platoon begins to fallback towards the Orchard while the command tank presses forward.

The Tanks open fire with a thunderous boom. Shells seem to ping harmlessly off the alien scout's carapace. 3rd Platoon and the machine-guns open up on the probing scout, but fail to damage it. The command tank's machine gun chatters away and blasts into the damaged Scout, damaging its Heat Ray.

Turn 6
The Tanks finally hit the Scout deep in their territory and damage its legs. This time, the Scout martian is getting hammered by rifles and machine-guns to reduce it to 5 Armor. The Command Tank uses his machine-guns again and damages Scout #1.

The last Martian enters the battlefield. Scout #2, damaged and immobile uses his Heat Ray to sweep the ruins of the farmhouse. He kills 2 Infantry elements and 1 Machine-gun unit. The Machine-Gun squad is broken by the attack. Scout #1 tries to fire on the Command Tank and fails to fire. Scout #2 manages to stumble into the ruined farmhouse and completely break the machine-gun teams.

The remains of 3rd Platoon assault Scout #2 in the farmhouse. The MkII and III's move up. The assault fails as the tripod stands above it all. The tanks fire on the Tripod in the Farmhouse ruins, the barrage kills the Minnesotan platoon and only scratches the Tripod. The command tank fires his machine-guns at Scout #1 and fails to damage anyone.

Turn 7
The MKIII tanks open fire on Scout in the farmhouse. Their shots find their mark and the alien explodes. Too bad the explosion catches the MkIII unit and causes two of them to explode as well. The Command tank riddles Scout #1 with machine-gun fire but fails to finish it.

The heavily damaged Scout #1 tripod retreats towards the wood line. Meanwhile, Scout #3 moves up. The Heat Ray of the Scout hits the Command Tank, but fails to damage it.

The MkIIs move up. The Command Tank retreats from the approaching Scout tank, but is still in front of his troops. As he withdrawls, he fires his 4-inch gun and hits the Scout directly in the eye causing it to be destroyed.

Conclusion
With the destruction of his pod-mates, Scout #1 withdraws from the field, leaving it to the humans. It was critical that he reported the contact to his superiors.

The Minnesotans regroup around the Command tank. After picking over the remains of the destroyed Tripods, a few select pieces are sent by messenger back to Fort Ridgeley. High Commands' worst fears have been realized. The Martian menace has been confirmed in the Minnesota River Valley. With that, word went to Fort Snelling to begin gathering additional soldiers and forces for the coming campaign.

Humans win the initial engagement in the Minnesota River Valley.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

SOOOOO SICK

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Awesome!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Neat!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

AQMF- Second Battle of Camp Release
The presence of the Martian invaders in the Minnesota River Valley had been confirmed. The commander at Fort Ridgeley immediately sent additional troops up river to reinforce and garrison Camp Release. It was at Camp Release where the Minnesota Volunteers had managed to push back initial Martian scout Tripods.

As the Reinforcements moved up river, they were ambushed by a hunting Pod of aliens. The troops were caught between the Martians and the river as the huge alien machines reared up from the forest and advanced.

Martian Ambush Pod
2 Martian Scout Pods
1 Assault Pod

Minnesota Militia Scouting Party
3 Infantry Squads
Machine-Gun Squad
MkII Baldwin Tanks
MKIII Steamers
MKIIc Command Tank

Scenario:
The Militia is moving up the Minnesota River Valley to reinforce Camp Release. The river is on the left of their column, and the forest is 10 inches in from the right long board edge. The Humans are in the approximate middle of the board. The Martians can be placed anywhere within the tree line.

The game ends after the opposing army is broken or 6 turns.

Set-up:
The Militia set-up moving up the river in the middle of the board. Ann infantry screen is out front followed by the MKIIs, more infantry, the machine-gunners, and the MkIII. The commander is riding along to the river side of the column.

The Martians have the Assault Tripod moving to cut-off the column of troops. The two scout Tripods are sweeping in from the back edge.

Turn 1
The Minnesotans win Initiative. The Militia quick move to face the approaching alien menace! The 4 inch guns on the MkII's and the command tank open fire on the leading tripod, but fail to phase it. The MKIII's fare no better against the Scouts. The infantry continues to move forward, while the tanks try to stay out of Sweep range.

The Martians lumber out of the cover of the Forest, slowing them down. However, they want to close the gap so they can sweep with their Heat Rays. The first Scout scorches the first two squads of Third Platoon into dust, but the last squad still wants revenge! The Assault Tripod pops one of the MkIIs, but his comrades keep steady. The Tripods press the attack!

Turn 2
Initiative: Minnesotans.
The rear of the column pours fire into the second scout tripod, attempting to bust it open. This time a shot form the MKIII's hits something vital and the Scout bursts into flames! A cheers goes up fromt eh human forces, but nothing else seems to stick. The Tanks move around to try to reduce incoming fire and get into firing positions later.

Undeterred by the destruction of their fellow, the Martians again move forward. The Assault Tripod fails to sweep the MkIIs, and the Scout misses the Command tank. With their poor shooting, the Martians scuttle away to reduce the number of incoming shots.

Turn 3
The Scout moves a bit closer, but the bigger Tripods is happy where he is. The Scout manages to sweep and destroy both of the remaining MKII's this time. The Assault Tripod failed to hit the Command tank. The Tripods then retreat further up river.

The Minnesotan infantry move up to try and get into assault range. The tanks also move to attack range, but despite a lot of shooting at the Scout, nothing seems to penetrate its armored hood.

Turn 4
The tanks form a solid firing line. Meanwhile, the Minnesotan infantry swarm out and two platoons attack the scout Tripod with grenades and elan. The tanks manage to damage the Assault Tripods steering mechanisms with a powerful barrage. The assault works a single armor point is removed from the Scout.

Martian retaliation is fearsome. The Scout walks away from the assault units, and the bigger tripod sweeps over the brave Minnesotans. The squads are killed, and the rest of the Militiamen flee in terror from the alien machines. The Scout also sweeps the MKIII's and destroys one. The Minnesotans are dwindling. The Scout advances trying to catch the last squad of Third Platoon and destroy them.

Turn 5
The Minnesotans fall back away from the approaching alien. Perhaps the Scout was too aggressive as the MKIIIs pound the advancing machine and terror away armor and damage its Heat Ray.

The Assault Tripod hit the command tank in the flank with its Heat Ray, but the Tank survives the smoldering inferno. The Scout manages to gain control of its Heat Ray long enough to vaporize the remains of Third platoon.

With that, the Minnesotan commander orders all trooper to retreat. The tank crews abandon their vehicles and take cover near the brush covered banks of the river. The Scout Martian covers his larger brother as the two Martian Machines break off and head back into the cover of the forest. The Assault Tripod stumbles and stops as it jerkily moves away from the battlefield.

Conclusion
This was a close battle. One scout was destroyed, the other was down to half, and the Assault Tripod was walking funny. The infantry went squish in this one, and gave up the game. The MKIII's are very impressive tanks. Too bad I like the MKII model so much, because the MKIII is FAR superior. I think I want to get my hands on another Starter Set to bulk out my forces a bit, but I am unsure how easy that is going be be forward.

The Minnesota Militia was unable to reinforce Camp Release, leaving it open for a potential Martian attack. Will the Martian invaders be able to over run the defenders of Camp Release? Will the Minnesotans keep the invaders from pressing down the Minnesota River Valley all the way to Fort Snelling? Stay tuned to find out!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Wow, awesome!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, Alien Dungeon looks like it is finished as a company and All Quiet is probably gone too, for now. However, with xmas $$$ in hand I rushed to my FLGS and picked up a few more things.

Edit:
1 Starter Set
1 MkIV Monitor Tank
1 Slaver tripod
1 Blister of Drones
1 Blister of Scorpion Drones

I tried to focus on things that I could not proxy with regular WWI models such as Field Guns, Artillery, WWI Infantry, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Easy E wrote:
Well, Alien Dungeon looks like it is finished as a company and All Quiet is probably gone too, for now.

Their forums are closed, and the Architects of War site is as well. Looks like it. It's a shame though. Some of their stuff was crap, but overall they were a good company with good people in charge. I wonder, ultimately, what happened.

I picked up a Mk IV monitor and some heavy infantry with transports for Christmas. That'll probably be it for me as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next