Login |  Register |  FAQ

Ordo Xenos, v4.0

Post subject: Re: Ordo Xenos, v4.0
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

And 4.1 is where???????

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry, real life issues came up. I had really lousy last two months of the year, but things are getting back to something resembling normal.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'll be posting v4.1 soon, but before I do I'd like some input.

First of all, has anyone besides Moscovian played the list recently? If so, what did you play against and what were the results?

I'm seriously leaning towards ditching VTOL altogether. I'm not convinced it's needed. My thoughts are to keep Planetfall for both the Gun Cutter and Aquila Lander. The Gun Cutter would become a true skimmer, losing the AC designation, while the Aquila Lander would lose skimmer and stay as an aircraft. Thoughts?

I'm going to be adding a rule making it mandatory that the army have at least one Inquisitorial Retinue.

Any additional ideas are welcome.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think all of the above will be good changes.

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I support the scrapping of VTOL from my experience with Ordo Malleus. It is a nice rule, but a bit awkward, especially when asked why it applies to this list and no others. The suggestion for Aquilas and the Gun-cutter sounds good.

/Fredmans

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

if you don't want the Inq retinue to be forced, you could make it the only way to get supreme commander (because of inq liason officers such as ordo dialogos). that's pretty close to mandatory :)

But I don't think a compulsory unit is a bad thing here anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The discussion of whether or not to include Leman Russes got me thinking. I hasten to add I have no experience with this list, nor a background in the intention behind it, but how would this strike everyone:

Background-wise, this list is built around an Inquisitor who identifies a threat and requisitions the specific forces he wants to deploy, right?

If this is the case, could you construct the bulk forces (e.g. the stuff that does the heavy lifting) around a structure more like the ork list? e.g. You buy a basic Guardsman infantry company (as in the list at the moment) and add individual bits (like Leman Russ, Hellhounds etc.) to it; rather than having them as separate support formations.

That way you're differentiating the list from the other Imperial lists (which are less organic and more structured) and giving the list a veteran/special forces feel. At the moment, it feels a little 'bitty'. Changing the Inquisitorial Retinue (for example) into an Imperial Guard Company upgrade would remove the need for all the 0–1 limitations, and would also mean that the list has a solid 'core' for the Deathwatch to work around, which in turn lets them operate more aggressively, rather than garrisoning blitz objectives and the like.

Obviously this approach would make huge formations, so I'd suggest having something like 'Inducted Imperial Guard Platoon' as six stands and an officer for 150pts, with upgrades like:
'Additional Platoon' – six stands – 125pts
'Leman Russ platoon' – three tanks – Xpts
'Hellhound platoon' – three tanks – Xpts
'Interrogator and retinue' at Xpts (replacing the Inquisitorial retinue entry – so you don't have so many Inquisitors in the force), who then allows you to upgrade the individual Imperial guard stands with rules to turn them into Death Cult Assassins, Warrior Henchmen etc.
... and add pretty much any fun bits you fancy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like your ideas Apologist, but it seems unfluffy to me to require taking a company of Guardsman. However, I do like the idea of being able to take a company of groundpounders and then adding upgrades, a feature which already exists.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Happy to help – like I say, I'm coming in as a complete outsider to this list, so apologies if I'm missing the 'point' of the list. :)

At the moment, it looks very much like a list with two cores; the Deathwatch – which is lovingly fleshed out – and the Inquisitional part, which is comparatively 'less different' (if you'll excuse the rather ugly phrase).

To give me an idea of how you envision the army, what would an iconic Ordo Xenos force look like? By this I mean what would an average army (rather than a very themed or game army) look like in background terms – an iconic Space Marine army might be a battle company, some vehicle support and a Thunderhawk or two, for example.

Are the Deathwatch the central part of this list, with the Inquisition as support, or something else?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Others might have a different opinion, but for me there is no iconic Ordo Xenos list. My view of it is an Inquisitor plus support. Without a rule requiring at least one Inquisitorial retinue, it is possible to field an all Deathwatch army, which to me goes against the spirit of the list. I like the flexibility and variety the list provides.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If you're going to play all deathwatch then you might as well just take your pick of an existing Astartes list and call it good. I'm with you about this NOT being a deathwatch list.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So it's essentially the Inquisitorial warband from 4k writ large? i.e. loads of mercenaries and people inducted/abducted into service? At the moment, the Deathwatch have loads of cool options, but there's not much meat to the rest of the list.

I don't think it quite comes across how central the Inquisition is meant to be in terms of the list at the mo. Looking at how the Ordo Xenos operate, have you considered adding Xenos mercenaries/technology anywhere? Being able to make a radical Inquisitor's force by restricting Deathwatch and War Engines, and replacing them with Xenos levies might be a way to give a bit more identity to the list.