Login |  Register |  FAQ

few questions on 2nd edition rules.

Post subject: few questions on 2nd edition rules.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi all, my son and I played 2nd edition for the first time ever, I havent played since the early/mid 90's so it was like a new game.

We played 1500 point orks vs marines and he won 31-28, we had a great time.

few questions I had since Im the only one who has read the rules and I cant find a faq on this version, if someone has one Id love it.

1.  When firing and determining LOS being blocked, seems like you have to have LOS on the whole enemy stand or is it from one point anywhere on your stand to a point anywhere on the stand you are shooting at?

2.  If you have units that charged into a melee and the unit breaks and fall back, the units in melee are locked and dont fall back with the stands that arent in melee correct?  Also if you have fast vehicles and infantry, do you have to keep the formation rule or can the faster vehicles move further off?

3.  Kind of like the one above, to keep the formation the rules say "at least one other model" so does that mean you dont have to have a ongoing chain within 6mm of each other in the formation or can the formation be legal with say 2 units 6mm apart but separate from another group in that formation that is say 12mm away, since there is at least one other model?  I assumed the formation has to all be within at least a chain no more than 6mm apart but ongoing.

4. how many stands can melee another stand?  1 on each side or can you stack up behind your own stands when more than one is attacking the defender?

5.  If you melee with a command stand like nobz or marine commanders, since you get first fire and charge, as the attacker can you first fire or only the defender?

6.  when a unit breaks you make the morale check right away, so when do you fall back?  Right away or as your orders for the next turn?

thanks for anyone that has any input.  If you need clarification please let me know.

steve

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

1.  When firing and determining LOS being blocked, seems like you have to have LOS on the whole enemy stand or is it from one point anywhere on your stand to a point anywhere on the stand you are shooting at?

- We always play centre to centre for range and LoS except for units with a template.

2.  If you have units that charged into a melee and the unit breaks and fall back, the units in melee are locked and dont fall back with the stands that arent in melee correct?  Also if you have fast vehicles and infantry, do you have to keep the formation rule or can the faster vehicles move further off?

Yes and you have to maintain formation.

3.  Kind of like the one above, to keep the formation the rules say "at least one other model" so does that mean you dont have to have a ongoing chain within 6mm of each other in the formation or can the formation be legal with say 2 units 6mm apart but separate from another group in that formation that is say 12mm away, since there is at least one other model?  I assumed the formation has to all be within at least a chain no more than 6mm apart but ongoing.

Chain.

4. how many stands can melee another stand?  1 on each side or can you stack up behind your own stands when more than one is attacking the defender?

Only as many as you can fit.  For square bases, that's usually a maximum of 6 stands surrounding one.

5.  If you melee with a command stand like nobz or marine commanders, since you get first fire and charge, as the attacker can you first fire or only the defender?

Defender only

6.  when a unit breaks you make the morale check right away, so when do you fall back?  Right away or as your orders for the next turn?

Next turn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Zap, I think we did them all ok except we did fall back right away, which didnt seem right so other than that I think we are on and I was thinking of doing center to center for LOS as well

how about units on hills, can you see over other units or is that a house rule?  I would assume in the building after thinking about it you would have a clear LOS from stand to stand if you could see over the unit based on the rules.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's been so long since we have played I don't remember  :sad:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

not a problem

I know in netepic they allow tanks to fire through infantry at other tanks, but just to clarify with anyone, in SM2 you cant fire through any model correct?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In our group it depends on what unit class is doing the firing. Smaller units could always target bigger ones so an INF unit could shoot the INF in front of them or the Tank behind or screened with enemy INF. But INF could not shoot through INF to reach other specific INF such as a command unit. Our general rule was that units of the same size could not target or shoot through other units of the same size if screened or if similar sized units were closer. We also played that in Close Combat only as many units as would fit or could actually touch the base of the model could be counted as engaged in CC. No stacking!

Sounds like you got all the other Q's well answered by zap123 --nice work!

Post subject: Re: few questions on 2nd edition rules.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

maximus40k wrote:
In our group it depends on what unit class is doing the firing. Smaller units could always target bigger ones so an INF unit could shoot the INF in front of them or the Tank behind or screened with enemy INF. But INF could not shoot through INF to reach other specific INF such as a command unit. Our general rule was that units of the same size could not target or shoot through other units of the same size if screened or if similar sized units were closer. We also played that in Close Combat only as many units as would fit or could actually touch the base of the model could be counted as engaged in CC. No stacking!

We played like this, I was ecstatic when I realised my intact bad moon clan was in range of my friends warlord titan the day we decided that LOS to titans from anything else was pretty much a given.

Post subject: Re: few questions on 2nd edition rules.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

maximus40k wrote:
In our group it depends on what unit class is doing the firing. Smaller units could always target bigger ones so an INF unit could shoot the INF in front of them or the Tank behind or screened with enemy INF. But INF could not shoot through INF to reach other specific INF such as a command unit.

we play 2nd edition right now and you cannot fire at a command unit unless it is the closest unit anyway. 2nd edition is pretty simplistic in that you cannot fire through any unit, "even if partially blocked" according to the rules.

Simple but that is part of the appeal

I am considering getting EA and giving a read just cuz I have heard it is a combination of Epic 1st and 2nd edition with some fixes.

thoughts?