Login |  Register |  FAQ

The Warhammer world

Post subject: The Warhammer world
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I dont kow if any of you guys are WHFB players aswell. ?(if not, why not? ?Its far superior to 40K)

Anyway, with the many similarities between the two systems, I like to consider the warhammer world actually resides within the 40K galaxy. ?I know a lot of gamers hate this theory, and I dont really care, since its up to the individual what they believe.

In case you dont know much about it, the warhammer world has a collapsed warp gate at its polar regions. ?This was apparantly created ?by the Old Ones, but a great catastrophy occured which resulted in its destruction (the gates) and the release of chaos into the world. ?I am going from memory here, so don't smite me down if I am getting things slightly wrong.

What is weird, is the fact that the world contains so many different races. ?To which I have a personal theory.

Now what if the warhammer world is in the 40K future? ?As far as the 40K universe goes, its looking pretty grim. ?The human/Eldar race is being assualted from all fronts (cannons to the left of them, canons to the front etc...) ?With the Tyranids approaching from the east, the C'tan reamerging, the threat of chaos available to assault from anywhere, and the constant threat of other races.

Now, what if it were decided that the Eldar were fighting a losing (or any other race really) battle. ?There was no way they could survive the onslaught of the Tyranids consuming every world for instance.

So, they find a world and colanise it, with the intent of reamerging once the dangers have passed. They leave the warp gates open at first, allowing them to pass any resources needed. ?Other races hear of this 'safe' world, and dispatch their own colanists. ?Anyway, the Eldar then cut it off from the rest of the galaxy with warpstorms, ensuring that none of their enemies can ever reach them. However, some how the warp tunnels are damaged and collapse, not only cutting off the world, but allowing chaos a way in. ?With no guiding forces, and the world not ready, the colanists fall into a state of 'savages' (cant think of the word I'm after). ?Over thousands of years, the origins of the world and races become clouded in myth and legend.

Now this is a (very) rough version of my theory. ?I haven't gone through it to explain contradictions that may arise. ?Its just a possibility, that I can use. ?The recent items found on the island of Albion too (items remarkably similar to 40K wargear) back this up. ?Though these items are actually shunned by fantasy players.

All this means that, if I wanted too, I could introduce a Wraith Lord into my games of fantasy!!!!!! ? :angry: ? }:) ?:;): ? :p

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm pretty sure in the earliest editions of both games, the Warhammer World did indeed officially reside in the W40K universe. Chaos forces in WFB could even take 40K wargear as they had access to the warpgate. Since then GW has moved away from this point of view and the interaction between the two worlds is no longer official or even supported by the newer fluff. As for the Albion items, they were either a designers 'in joke' or the product of them running out of new ideas. Which depends on how charitable you are :)

Jackhammer, player of WFB, but not W40K

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep, I think I'll go along with the idea it was a bit of humour.  Its a shame only certain races can use them though.

I never thought the campaign was very fair, since many races never had a book out at the time.

I hope the next campaign is more of a success.  Nothing really seems to have come from the albion campaign.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I only played a few games of 40k with the old 2nd edition hardback, and although the games were fun, they didn't really fire my imagination.

I wanted to play Slann, but they never really got off the starting block...And those uber brained monkeys (can't remember their name) looked fun. the history of the advanced Slann still lives on in WFB, but what about in 40k? Are they even written into the remoulded history?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There's no longer any mention of creatures by the name of Slann.  There are mention of creatures called the 'Old Ones' which I have taken to be the same.  (even though the Slann of the WFB world refer to creatures called the Old Ones).

Now, it seems, these old ones were involved in a galactic battle against the C'tan.  The C'tan were 'Star entities' not really of physical bodies.  They drew power from stars (vampirism), and the Necrons worshipped them.  They created 'living metal bodies' for them to exist in the real sense.

Now alive in the sense we understand, the C'tan decided that living creatures were far tastier than energy.  And started eating the galaxy.  The Old ones battled against them, but were few in number (I think) so helped the lesser races to develop to help them in the war (most notably the Eldar and Krorks).  The C'tan retaliated by making the Necrons give up thier physical bodies, and be implanted into machines.  This wayu they could serve thier gods forever (immortality).  The C'tan made fersome creations that were destroying everything, and mortal creatures could not stand before them.  Again everything looked bad.

Then the Gods of the Eldar (Old Ones?) created Wraith constructs using the soles of the dead.  These stomped the Necron constructs into the ground, and started to win the war.  THe C'tan got really pissed now, and Nightbringer himself entered the fray.  He was a whirlwind of desetruction, slaying mortal and wraithconstruct alike.  Then Khaela mensha Khaine decided to step in.  He was instructed by the laughing god of the nightbringers defences, and used this information to destroy (but not kill) him.  Upon its destruction the C'tan poisoned Khaine with shards of his living metal, giving him the aspect of the reaper.  And making him generally moody.  His death wail also entered every Eldar sole, causing their fear of death (which until then they did not suffer from, since they were re-incarnated).

There's a bit of the latest fluff, to the best of my memory.

Notice how the emergance of the C'tan has contradicted a lot of the old fluff.  Now its not Slaanesh that is the reason for the Eldars fear of dying.  It doesn't stop here, but I dont want to continue off the top of my head, for fear of making mistakes.

It would appear the Slann are now known as the Old Ones.  That they created the 'lesser' races, to help in their war against the C'tan.  And that they are maybe even the Eldar Gods.  Whether they still exist or died out, I'm not sure of.

I may be slightly wrong in places, but I think its pretty accurate.  Someone else can fill in/ammend bits, if they want to.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Tinbot @ 20 2003 Feb.,14:09)
)
I wanted to play Slann, but they never really got off the
starting block...And those uber brained monkeys (can't
remember their name) looked fun.

They were called Jokaero, no language, culture or higher motivation, yet builders of marvels of comstruction, enginering and artifacts, both electronic and mechanical in nature.

Jackhammer, putting away his copy of Rogue Trader :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Jackhammer @ 20 2003 Feb.,17:19)

They were called Jokaero...

Ah yes, that's the name I was looking for (been a few years). I think I've only ever seen one miniature for these, as there were never any official releases (atleast not it the UK).

Thanks for the history lesson Shadow Hunter, alot seems to have changed from what I can remember. Actually, I seem to recall reading somewhere (WD?) that GW decided to overhaul the history to smooth out all the gaps and contradictions that had been made. I can see more that a little nod to the Lovecraftian mythos.  :)

I'm certain the Slann were always refered to as decendants of the old ones, and not old ones themselves. They lost/forgot alot of their knowledge.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Jokaero were the ones that could make anything out of any material correct? only problem was that they could make a small weapon of amazing proportions or a torch.

Edit: kinda like McGyver :p

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:29 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Yes, they could make anything from anything, but had no idea of the purpose or use. So, they would repair stuff and leave random technology all over the place. What were GW taking???  :oo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm telling ya, too much McGyver and A-Team.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

>>What were GW taking???
Hehe I quite agree.... the Jokero.. lol :)

I'm pretty glad the -kinda weird- links have gone...

tho the Jokaero make an appearance in the (excellent) new =][= sereis by Dan Abnett- there is a mention of "jokaero-made digital weapons"... Oh no!!! ????

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

-Anyone know why my last reply hasn't come up? :o

[an odd little glitch... after posting this, i see my post right above ^ perfectly :) ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 9:55 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

The boards may have sent you to the first page after your post. And since your post was on page two you did not see it. That shouldnot happen though...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

>>The boards may have sent you to the first page after your post. And since your post was on page two you did not see it. That shouldnot happen though...

Yeah, it did take me to page 1, but there was no button to take me on to page 2 though.... ??? weird :oo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 9:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I saw that happen aswell? it said he posted but nothing appered?