Login |  Register |  FAQ

Terrain 3d printing with dlp printers

Post subject: Terrain 3d printing with dlp printers
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

With some friends we were thinking about buying a dlp 3d printer for our epic terrain.

Something like this
https://www.amazon.it/gp/aw/d/B07QDYYDD ... op?ie=UTF8

Apparently resolution is pretty good, but we have two questions for you guys:
- is there a repository of decent looking terrain models which fit our epic 40k games?
- has anyone tried printing them with this technology? Which are the results and the main problems?

Thanks

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Terrain 3d printing with dlp printers
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:41 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I got that one about 10 days ago.

– thingverse has a lot of files on. A LOT. Keep in mind the terrain file does not need to be epic scale, the printer software will easily let you scale any file to epic scale. Buildings would also be very easy to make files of for yourself from scratch.
– yes, results are great. I'm using it to print epic models at half (3mm scale) size.
This was my first working file print (other than test file from printer) epic leman russ file from thingverse printed half size on a 0.05mm layer hight.

Problems: user error getting it work first time, mess, chemicals/ventilation. Spent the first two days with it sulking and saying i would send it back, then loved it after first good print. If anything goes wrong it is messy to clean up and re-set, washing uncured resin off with isopropyl alcohol. Until cured the resin gives off VOCs and the process works better at 25c (which will be a problem for me as the room i can get ventilation in to run it in will also be cold over winter).

Wish id got one years ago. Game changer for small scale wargaming. There are so many files available to print and 3d modelling non-complex-curved/non-organic stuff yourself is easy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just starting out with a Photon S here. Doing 1/64 stuff at the moment, but I second the review above in full.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My son has recently bought one of these 3D printing gadgets and, after a few issues on the first day, has produced some amazing items for epic. Loads of files on Thingiverse (for vehicles, aircraft, infantry and titans) but this video might give you an idea of small scale terrain printing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR1Jyvolvdg&t=5s

The examples are for 6mm American Civil War but give you an idea what can be done. I particularly like the corn field.

Phil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have printed off a heap of 3d Print designs especially made for resin printers and rescaled them from 40K to Epic scale using my Cura slicing program and was able to print them on a PLA printer. I am sure your printer has a slicing program that can scale the design from 40K to Epic.

My Doom scythe/Night scythes worked out well. I have also rescaled the 3D buildings I printed recently down to 60% or 70% of their original size so they fitted onto my build plate.

I am sure you can find resin prints you could use on Thingiverse, Cults (which you have to pay for, but many are available on thingiverse), and many other sites.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Then there is designing your own stuff too. I found that it was reasonably easy to produce simple objects or modify others using e.g. Tinkercad as a start.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have planned about getting 3d printer with my son and as you here have a lot more experience than I do so I’m asking advice. My son has needs in 40k/kill team&Gaslands mainly various bits for conving and proxy figs. My interest is on epic scale scenery and proxy figs. We have experience on plastic printers but I dont find those accurate enough for my needs.
1) Is printed resin easy to break ie too brittle for playing models?
2) Is 6mm scale problem for resin printers? I have seen pretty pics but I dont know what devilish machines make such nice toys.
3) 50microns or 20microns for epic figs?
4) Is getting Photon S overkill? I like those dual guides for extra stability.

We are aware of smell and mess it can cause if life aint smooth. Ventilation plans and extra carbon filtering has been discussed.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:47 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

1) no worse than other materials, better than old forge world resin. Thin bits can snap, but so does thin plastic. It is harder than plastic, but more brittle.
2) 6mm is fine on 3d printers, i've printed 3mm infantry on mine. No more or less devilish than at other scales
3) i do 0.035, either would work. Depends if you are a super detail display level painter or want tabletop figures.
4) I dont have both to compare, I got the regular photon for the metal body and lower cost and it's been fine.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Second the above. Got the S second hand. Plastic body works just fine and it prints slightly faster than the old version. You should check other options out too. You have the zero hitting the market now and also new stuff from elegoo. I like the quality of my S, but higher resolution monochrome machines will probably be the thing soon.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 6:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Apo & Nit.

I haven’t ordered anything yet so I’ll check those other manufacturers options too.