Login |  Register |  FAQ

Custom Transfers for Epic size minis

Post subject: Custom Transfers for Epic size minis
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just like stated in the topic I am looking for epic size transfers. Particulary I am interested for House Terryn and House Cadmus iconography. Any hints? Or perhaps it's not so hard to manufacter these by oneself? Does proper paper and ink printer would be sufficient?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Custom Transfers for Epic size minis
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There's decal paper that works with inkjet and others for LaserJet that you can buy (not interchangeable). Making some designs isn't too terribly difficult (YMMV). The problem comes withthe fact that most home printers don't do white. You can get white back paper but then you're shifting the issue to getting it cut out well without leaving a wierd edge.

I'm sure there's companies that you can send the files to to print but I don't have any handy

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the general remarks, but frankly speaking, I am looking rather for a tested recipies.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Then i'm absolutely not following your OP then. I mean, I print my own decals so not sure what you're needing then. Pretty damn tested (why I point out the white issue - unless you got a $7k Okidata printer laying around ;) )

Are you just wanting cheap decals for those two houses without paying for FW prices? China based shops have TONS of those types of things for dirt cheap on eBay. I got all my IH decals that way.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, the note about white was informative, but could you be more informative. What paper do you use (brand name or link to ebay would be very helpful). How do you print it (ink or laser?) and how do you prepare the graphic files? Photoshop?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ink vs Laser isn't important as it's no different here in result. You just need to purchase paper appropriate to your actual device. I suspect you were reading me as stating there's a difference between their results as opposed what I'm writing is that paper for one will not work on the other. My home printer is an inkjet incidentally.

There's a plethora of brands out there. I use the Testors stuff myself though Tamiya and Hasegawa make products well regarded as well as I understand it.

Crafting images to be print in decal paper isn't really much different that on a regular sheet of paper. Or I should say, at the level that we're aiming for differences are so minuscule as to not even matter to the non-professional. I'm working on the assumption that basic print and graphic knowledge is here. All the "normal" stuff about DPI and calibrations are in play just like you're trying to do a nice print on your own paper (basically just like doing a nice digital photo print). Don't try, especially at 6mm, to get super detailed with gradients and too large; You're probably not going to have a good time and at that point, it's just better to by professional crap because it will cost you less in time and money in the long run. There's a RIO that only you can determine but even at FW prices-especially considering that you can get knockoffs for CHEAP on ebay (and no I can't link direct to any of them using the forum SW as that's against the rules) for a limited run, it may just be better to get pieced out sets. YMMV.

In totally unrelated topic, I hear the xyzmall-china store is nice for modelers. I've not shopped there personally of course.

If you can work it, a vector based format may work better for you but again, when you're printing something 4mm wide, a raster image with enough DPI will work just fine. The only limitation is your own printer. What's good about that is you can figure this out on cheap regular paper just fine printing say at 300DPI the same image at progressively smaller sizes in a pattern on the test page and see where you fall off into not being acceptable. :) While I can go hog wild with gimp or photoshop on this, I've never needed more than the free Paint.Net tool as everything else is monster overkill. Meaning you can easily get away with just about any tool, something fancy is not really required. You're making something under a centimeter and often far smaller. You're tricking your eyes into seeing the thing you want to see, not really needing oodles of details (again YMMV).

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thank you for the answer. I am now good to go.