Login |  Register |  FAQ

Making my own castings [Need help]

Post subject: Making my own castings [Need help]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hello
I recently did 2 sculpts of DKoK guardsmen. They are my first sculpts in 6mm (well basically the first ones ever done) so dont be so critical ;)

Bigger is about 8-9mm while smaller is 7mm.

My question is how I can make castings of them? I have never done it before so I would like to try it.

Flickr|Flickr#2|Brickshefl
"There ain't no thing as enuff dakka! Enuff's more than you got, an' less than too much, an' there's no such thing as too much dakka!"

Last edited by McJakub on Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Making my own castings [Need help]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:35 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

for infantry I'd suggest avoiding resin, it's too fragile for small, thin models, I'd recommend using casting metal, you'll need as a minimum some high-temperature silicone (gedeo siligum works up to 300 celsius and is cheap and easy to work with) and some suitable casting metal, I've had good results with tiranti number 4 alloy, although this contains lead, you'll need a metal ladle to melt the alloy in too, you can do it on a kitchen stove top if you have an understanding wife ;)

there are many tutorials on making moulds but the basics are to half-embed your piece into plasticene inside a lego mould box, stick a few beads in to act as mould keys and help align the mould halves. Mix up your silicone according to the instructions, de-gas if possible, if not, get a silicone with as long a cure time as possible and pour it in a very thin stream from high up into the mould, wait till fully cured, flip the moulded object, brush the mould with baby oil or vaseline mixed in white spirit to stop the silicone sticking together, then repeat. You'll need to cut an ingate to pour the metal in, and you will need to cut very fine vents to encourage the metal to flow into all the extremeties

melt your metal to a sensible temperature, give your mould halfs a fine dusting with french chalk or talc to lubricate them, put them together and secure with some wooden boards and a g-clamp, pour in the metal, bash the mould with some pliers to encourage it to settle, wait about a minute then remove, the first casts often fail as the mould needs to warm up, repeat a few times and re-talc the mould every 5 times or so

congratulations, you have just cast your first miniature ;)

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great start

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well done, I hope it goes well for you and can feel extremely rewarding when done. ;) I managed some decent terrain once but failed misrably at minatures :( Good luck and look forward to seeing your results ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Any tips where to find good silicone and resin?

Flickr|Flickr#2|Brickshefl
"There ain't no thing as enuff dakka! Enuff's more than you got, an' less than too much, an' there's no such thing as too much dakka!"