Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next

Missing Threads

Post subject: Re: Missing Threads
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Does anyone know what approach other forums take? Do 40k forums allow posting photos of painted up models which players have, where those models are no longer available due to C&Ds?

Uninformed speculation here, but if people were to keep posting pictures of certain models up for years to come, as they got round to painting them, could there be any risk of worse repercussions for those that created them? The person posting them could have had them since ages ago, but a watching Grandma wouldn't know and could think their C&D was being ignored. I have very little idea or knowledge in this area or of how C&Ds work, but I wouldn't want bad things to happen to a good man.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

frogbear wrote:
Steve54 wrote:
Anybody who is shocked this has happened is incredibly naive - just look at the way BB on the internet was shutdown for far less.

incorrect.

BB was attacked as the name could be linked back to GW.

Now that they are under TFF All is the same and GW is absent.

So what is this site's excuse?

The bb thing was more than just Talk Bloodbowl. GW are consistantly hunting down websites with thier trademark names in them. The Warhammer Forum is in transition. Warhammer Ancient Battles changed to Wargamming Ancient Battles over a year ago. If you have a trademarked name in your domain expect to get asked to cease at some point soon.

The real hit to BB was that they removed all the fluff from the latest LRB, and threatened to remove all the star player stat's if other companies didn't stop advertising their models as 'suitable for X,Y and Z'. BB is now another dead game as far as official development is concerned.

So you'd prefer CS did nothing then close down TC when a C&D letter appeared? Really?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Another point; this basically completely screws my supplement, right? It was going to be full of shots of forumware.

Well that was a waste of months of my life.

If they're no longer on sale, surely there's no problem showing pictures of them?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:06 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

I am still attempting to untangle this and I will post an update when I have it. I dont want to comment too much until the waters are a little clearer, as I would just add to the confusion.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As I remember it, IP protects the right to make money of something. Would not painting and displaying a model you already own (and do not distribute) fall into some category of art, which is much less restricted than trade.

That is why there are zillions of fan-art and fan-fiction pages on the Internet. If you do not make it for any profit, it is legal to publish.

/Fredmans

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This page is a good one for everyone to read.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... eMode=true

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:29 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

zombocom wrote:
Another point; this basically completely screws my supplement, right? It was going to be full of shots of forumware.

Well that was a waste of months of my life.

If they're no longer on sale, surely there's no problem showing pictures of them?

From Moscs guide to doing a supplement I was under the impression this was a no-no anyway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The only thing GW has is the IP. They can't stop you using their models to play other games, all they can stop you is using their IP in other games.

If they don't protect their IP other companies, with lower overheads offering cheaper product will cut into their shareholders profit and likely cause the company as to fold.

We may not like their business practice, or core games, but they have to do what they have to do. To the best of my knowledge they remain the sole miniature wargames company that is publicly floated, and therefore have unique requirements in how they operate their business in the wargames market.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:41 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Mephiston wrote:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... eMode=true

Read it before, but I've just gotten to Tattoos again ;D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:50 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Mephiston wrote:

Fair enough, but what does this mean:

Code:
Fonts

Unfortunately, GW cannot allow third parties to use our trademarks without properly crediting our ownership, lest they be damaged. With fonts, it is difficult, if not impossible, to use the marks and credit Games Workshop as rightful owners. Accordingly, do not use our IP in relation to fonts.

GW only seem to use general commercial fonts in their .pdfs i've looked at. So does this mean don't use a font that GW uses when talking about GW stuff, or does it mean dont claim that GW own the font's because they don't … Unless they class their logos are fonts because they have letters in, but that does not make them fonts (although i suppose it is conceivable that these have now been made into full fonts and i just haven't noticed their use)?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

IIRC GW have a "Tau" font that got leaked onto the net a while ago.
I guess they're saying "don't use our Tau font".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:52 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Ah cool :) that does make sense then.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:00 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Mephiston wrote:

Worth noting that this is not an impartial legal analysis of what is allowable/advisable with respect to how we conduct our hobby. It's written by GW's lawyers to protect GW's interests. If I was a GW lawyer I would use it as an opportunity to exploit the general lack of understanding of IP law.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next