Login |  Register |  FAQ

Epic vs Dominon Wars

Post subject: Epic vs Dominon Wars
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Some background. Way, way back in the days of Space Marine 1st and 2nd Edition, I used to play some massive battles. I was able to field nearly the entirety of the Space Wolves Chapter, plus Imperial Guard and Titan Legion support.

I was hoping to do similar things with Polyversal but, while I have no regrets about picking it up, it's definitely not a game that will let me recreate battles on that scale. The call of Epic grows stronger, but I don't want to start building entire new armies after the amount I've invested in 500 - 600 minis for Polyversal.

However, 3mm removes a lot of the financial obstacles, and I think I've nearly convinced myself I'm going to do it. Vanguard seems to have a strong Imperial range, and I managed to find the Picoarmour not-Eldar range, which covers everthing I'd be likely to want in an Epic game.

From what I can tell having glanced through the EpicUK rules, things are a lot more streamlined than back in the Space Marine 2 days, but there's also more support/reward for good tactical play. I haven't looked closely, but I was pretty impressed with what I saw. I will have to take a look at NetEpic as well, especially since I believe that's what EpicAU is based on. I think it's closer to SM2?

Of course, looking at Vanguard 3mm I ended up being exposed to Dominion Wars as well, although I haven't had a chance to actually check out the rules at all.

Anyway, I'm here looking for feedback on which direction I should go if I want to run really big battles in 3mm.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Epic vs Dominon Wars
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

And I just worked out that the ruleset I'm looking at is Epic Armageddon.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If you want to play huge battles then you need to use a more streamlined rule set, EA in any form does not really work well for large numbers of models games IMHO, Epic 40.000 the third edition of epic would serve you better here.

Granted it is not the most popular epic rule set but it is the best one for mass battles.

The current Dominion rules on my website are just a simple stripped down fast play version of the full Dominion rule set that has not yet been published. You can find a publicly available version of the updated rules on the Dominion facebook page here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/164993600752337/

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm planning on collecting a whole 6mm marine chapter and using it under the Epic Armageddon ruleset. It'd be a long day or weekend of gaming and not as streamlined as some other systems that could be used for mass battles, but definitely possible. I got into wargaming playing Epic SM:2 / Titan Legions as a teenager and I have nostalgic memories but Epic Armageddon is a way better game, with greater manoeuvre and strategy.

EpicAU is just a regional variant of Epic Armageddon, not of Net-Epic. We all play the same ruleset for EpicA across the globe but unfortunately the army lists have fractured, with some countries producing their own. All sets are fine and probably roughly balanced against each other, but if you're getting into the game you're probably best using the army lists most players in wherever you live in the world use e.g. Epic-UK army lists in the UK, Net-EA tournament pack army lists in most of the rest of the world.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I play Epic with 3mm scale armies and basically zero change in the rules. What 3mm allows is greater density on the tabletop and more economical large armies. Modern 3mm scale producers, with Vanguard spearheading them, have made 3mm more than competitive on quality - there’s really almost no detail loss between the 6mm and 3mm Vanguard lines.

But yes, Epic Armageddon is liable to get clumsy when you go above 3-4000 points. I’ve done as high as 6000 but it can be a bit cumbersome, although rather fun anyway. Keeping a timer on players helps a lot, but there’s a ton of rolling and counter-rolling.

Some suggestions for games that tolerate the higher numbers without losing the proper feel:

Future War Commander
Dirtside II
Horizon Wars (where a single “conventional unit” would act as a squadron of tanks)
Ogre Minuatures

Not kidding on that last one. There’s a JavaScript unit formula generator out there, and if you treat your Titans like Ogres the scale of the battle gets very massive. A little tweaking of the rules to integrate the turn sequence, account for unit coherence and turn order, and you would have a quick and functional game. I’ve done Ogre at Regimental scale and it has worked smoothly. It’s even got nuclear missiles and pretty simple close assault, the latter of which is EA’s biggest weakness ( close assault rules are a hot mess and always have been).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeeeeeeeeah I could see how OGRE/GEV would work really well in that capacity (unsure if the rules are updated since I last played which is admittedly long ago)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like we're going to go with NetEA in 6mm for now, and down the track I will probably put together some 3mm for Dominon Wars.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You can’t go wrong with Vanguard’s 6mm line.

I’ll say though that I got inspired to try to stat up some units from Epic with general equivalents for Ogre Miniatures, and it actually crosses over pretty well because the range bands tend to be in even ratios relative to movement. Ogre Armageddon seems way more practical than even I might have thought.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

At this stage, there is definitely going to be Epic. In the end, there was too much nostalgia involved to do otherwise.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mr. Average wrote:
You can’t go wrong with Vanguard’s 6mm line.

All the cool kids are doing Vanguard's 3mm line now ;)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I was doing 3mm scale epic before it was cool, brah.

Attachments:
31F74F9B-0AA4-4BAB-887A-69E067126000.jpeg
31F74F9B-0AA4-4BAB-887A-69E067126000.jpeg [ 558.75 KiB | Viewed 15063 times ]