Login |  Register |  FAQ

Hyperion subsector defences

Post subject: Hyperion subsector defences
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey chaps, this is something I knocked out ages ago for my own IN battlegroup and wondered what you all thought. The battlestation has already seen action a number of times and seems to play fine. Comments and criticisms welcome!

R

Hyperion Subsector defences
Experimental rules for new orbital defences for Imperial Navy and Chaos fleets in BFG

Battlestation????????????????????..?????..200 points
Larger and more heavily armed than their smaller counterparts, battlestations tend to perform the same functions as Space stations but are usually found orbiting more strategically important planets. Permanently manned by experienced Navy personnel, these vast structures rival Navy battleships in mass and firepower, and are fully capable of defending a system against even several enemy capital ships. In the Hyperion subsector, the chain of systems in closest proximity with the dangerous Eastern Fringe all benefited from the protection of a battlestation in orbit around their prime worlds, many of which had been in service for millennia.

Type/Hits Battlestation Defence/12
Speed 0
Turns 0
Shields 4
Armour 5+
Turrets 5

Armament
Weapons battery str16 60cm All round
Lance battery str4 60cm All round
Launch bays 4 squadrons Fighters: 30cm Bombers: 20cm N/a

Special rules
Battlestations are crewed by experienced Navy personnel, so they have a nominal Leadership score of 8.
In campaign games, only a single Battlestation may occupy each star system.
Battlestations are available to both Imperial and Chaos fleets.

Augur Array?????..????????????????????..75 points
Augur arrays are equipped with a sophisticated array of long-range sensors, which can be used to sweep the entire system they occupy in great detail, as well as scanning far out into deep space with somewhat reduced resolution. These stations always have a small Astropathic choir aboard and as a result are often used to form the basis of military listening posts, due to their ability to relay data at the speed of thought. Augur arrays are also useful in battle, since they can augment the sensors of nearby friendly vessels and enhance their ability to target enemy vessels, though they are undergunned for their size.

Type/Hits Augur array Defence/4
Speed 0
Turns 0
Shields 2
Armour 5+
Turrets 2

Armament
Weapons battery str6 45cm All round

Special rules
Augur arrays are able to sweep the star system they are present in and relay their sensor data to any friendly ships within the system. At long range when enemy vessels are closing in, the Augur array will provide advance warning of their approach. At shorter ranges, Augur stations are able to scan the immediate area, pinpointing the locations of enemy ships and uplinking their data to friendly vessels. As a result, friendly ships gain a +1 bonus to command checks when attempting special orders. Defenders also gain a +1 bonus to determining initiative when an Augur array is part of their defences.
Augur arrays have a nominal Leadership score of 7.
Augur arrays are available to both Imperial and Chaos forces (a similar effect can be achieved with a cabal of sorcerers).

Sentry station??????..???????????????????100 points
Sentry stations are larger, manned orbital weapons platforms used to coordinate the fire of their smaller, automated counterparts. They are most commonly found orbiting planets which host military bases or have strategic value, and are always manned by Navy personnel. Packing considerable firepower for their mass, they also have powerful logic engines aboard, allowing them to ?slave? up to six weapons platforms and improve their efficiency and targeting abilities. Sentry stations have seen extensive use throughout the Hyperion subsector, particularly to enhance the defences of listening post and frontier worlds.

Type/Hits Sentry station Defence/4
Speed 0
Turns 0
Shields 2
Armour 6+
Turrets 3

Armament
Weapons battery str8 45cm All round
Lance battery str2 45cm All round

Special rules
Sentry stations are able to use the Lock On special order. A Sentry station can coordinate the fire of up to six orbital weapons platforms, provided it is within 10cm of at least one, and the weapons platforms are also within 10cm of each other (ie: squadroned). If the sentry station successfully locks onto a target, any ?slaved? weapons platforms are also treated as being locked on, provided they fire at the same target. Where the weapons platforms are torpedo launchers, they may not lock on, but may reroll a failed Reload Ordnance test.
Only one Sentry station may be used for every six weapons platforms present.
Sentry stations have a nominal Leadership of 8.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey,

I quite like the idea behind it. They seem balanced at first glance. I can already envisage cool scenarios where a fleet needs to enter a heavily fortified system. Defence upon defence grids repelling the ships.

General note: I think all space stations in Battlefleet Gothic are much too weak. As a started they should all have 6+ armour.

Warp Rift
Project Distant Darkness
Eldar MMS

GothiComp Hall of Fame
http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=19176

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Indeed.
When my friends and I played through the Domination of Herculis campaign (WR 14), defences of this type featured heavily throughout the campaign, especially the battlestation.
Since the main thrust of the campaign was to take and hold as many systems as possible, there was often a buildup of defences in several battlezones of each system, which might start with the deep space zone being mined, while the further sunward you went the defences got progressively denser.
Attackers would have to fight their way through several tiers of orbital installations to reach the prime planet, which would also invariably be heavily defended. We ended up having several battles to take each system, which also changed hands quite a number of times.
Playtesting the battlestation through all of this was fun, and showed it could be a tough nut to crack at times, but also easily taken out at others. I saw one of my mates struggle against it with his eldar (granted it had several WB platforms supporting it!), but also saw it devoured in 2 turns of shooting/ boarding from nids. I managed to blow up a chaos one myself with sustained NC fire, but that took a while, the nids definately won on style!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd like to get more BFG in and play some campaigns or even some more in-depth scenarios :(

Post subject: Re: Hyperion subsector defences
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

;D I'v enjoyed useing your stats in a few games thanks and i agrea that all battle stations should have armour of 6, i look forward to some more great ideas.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Now I do like the idea in the lost fleet series (could do with massively tighter writing - very bad editor at work there!) that fixed defences are toast to any fleet.

Saying that if I have a space station I would want it to be tough - unless of course it was commercial or whatnot or something not meant to be shot at!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

True true, as a trader station would be a normal 4/5 armour and a hardend navy station would be well armoured with a 6. what would you say about navy defence guns? should they be less than there larger station counterparts, or should they?