Login |  Register |  FAQ

snap fire flyers

Post subject: snap fire flyers
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The "Ground Attack" section of the Epic 40,000 rules says:
"Enemy units can snap-fire at them as they move." Does this mean all enemy units within 10cm, as with normal snap-fire? So Flak just gives units with ! orders a longer range for snap-fire (and 1 die per flak fp)? Or is Flak understood in the above rule?

thanks
andy

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: snap fire flyers
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, any unit can snap fire at a flyer, even an Eldar Avatar with Firepower 0 (I guess he just swings his sword in the air above him?). If a flyer passes within 10cm of an enemy unit, roll 1d6 vs the armour value of the flier to see if it is hit. Snap-firing does not automatically halt flyers in the same way as it halts ground units.

Flak units on special orders essentially work the same way, except they roll multiple dice (up to their firepower) and can hit any flight path out to their full range (instead of just 10cm). Note, Fire Prisms have both anti-tank and flak, so they roll one die and on a 4+ they hit the flyer when using the flak special order, regardless of armour (although you still have to roll against armour on the second roll to destroy the flyer).

Presumably, a flak unit could both use a flak attack and a snap-fire attack, if the flyer came close enough. Note, that same Fire Prism would not get his anti-tank ability with a regular snap-fire attack.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I don't think we payed much attention to snap fire (just didn't get that close), and didn't use flyers much, so hadn't put that together. I'd assumed it was only flak units until today when I was working on my hex version.

I may have to account for that.

thanks
andy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Flyers can be amazingly deadly. There are a few White Dwarf battle reports where they are used to good effect. I always bring at least a little airpower because it is cheap and flexible (if enemy air is present, they go intercept, otherwise they go ground attack).

Looking forward to more on the hex rules!