Login |  Register |  FAQ

movement in assault phase

Post subject: movement in assault phase
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This is just another "what if it was this way?" question. Not saying the current rules are bad or need correction (Epic 40K is my favorite version of Epic), just playing with rules to see if I could add some fun.

In the assault phase, units doing an assault move must move towards the enemy (not necessarily the closest), and must move at least 5cm. Moving towards the enemy makes sense if assault is really the leader yelling "CHARGE!", but is this open to abuse if that restriction weren't there?

If a fast unit were able to move the move phase, fire (at half strength) in the fire phase (and be fired at!), and move away in the assault phase, it would (for me) give some of the feel that a firefight is supposed to capture, but with more effect in terms of potential hits. It seems to me that it would be a pretty slick use of the phases. (I love the E40K phase system.)

I know there is the possibility of a unit coming from out of LOS, firing, and moving back out of LOS, but they would have endured a full fire phase in the meantime. And they may or may not get to move first in the assault phase.

So is there a potential abuse in removing the requirement to move towards enemy? Do you think this was a rule requirement to prevent problems, or just because it is the "assault" phase and moving forward sounds more assaulty? Would it add some fun possibilities?

I suppose it also limits the effect of a double move. A march (triple move) has the penalty of no firing and being more vulnerable to fire. Would a double move with only half firepower as a penalty be OK?

andy

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: movement in assault phase
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The only real way to answer these questions is to extensively play test your ideas which should answer the questions for you.

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

Profile Send private message