Login |  Register |  FAQ

War Engine game

Post subject: War Engine game
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My wife told me after the last game that we had to play again so she'd remember the rules. I wanted to refresh the war engine rules, and try them with the 6" hexes I've been doing. So I planned a war engine only game.

It turns out that, although the Eldar Engines of Vaul are 110 points each, and a Warlord titan is 555 points, 4 Scorpions and 1 Cobra are not at all a match for a Warlord. :)

Pictures: https://goo.gl/photos/SBXpzqqk6gt4fkZu7

I actually expected much more from the Eldar originally. The distortion cannon does critical hits and ignores void shields. I thought the pulsars would strip shields. But the warlord waded through them, and suffered no more than 3 lost shields.

Maybe I should have suggested some tactics to her. She should have pulled the nearer war engines back so they all got to the titan at the same time. And they should have spread around and come from different angles. I have moved the fire arcs so that there is overlap in the front and a gap in the back. (Those weapons look like they should be able to cross the front a bit and don't look like they should be able to shoot straight back.)

It was fun, and was over really fast. I think a better mix would help balance out a lot.

I was really struck with the short ranges. I may experiment with that at some point.

And the Eldar WEs really suffer for blast markers. The Warlord could sink some firepower into a blast marker, but pulsars and distortion cannons are really vulnerable to them.

andy

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: War Engine game
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wow! This is actually an EPIC battle! Nice picture-report. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed it. More to come?

'bout the powerfull Warlord Titan: he's über indeed! Worth his 555 points.

BLOG: Epic 40,000
BLOG: Warmaster

Toco's Mod: Allied HeroQuest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:45 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Starmada had a requirement that no one ship cost more than 50% of the total of the fleet. I bet the reason behind that had a lot to do with games like these. Being separate formations, where the Eldar able to combine their firepower like the Warlord could with all of its weapons?

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Toco, funny, I don't think of this one as being very Epic. My more recent one was starting to get there.
https://goo.gl/photos/3jL8HikHA5mc5iEg6

Dave: She certainly could have brought her Engines o' Vaul in a better way, all arriving in range of the Titan at the same time. But they really suffered from the WE fragility problem I discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=30893

In the last game, we used the Firepower 1 change for them, even though the Eldar WEs weren't mentioned in that article. I wonder if that was too much of a fix, and just needed the 2d6 roll changed. I think she lost one WE in the last game, out of 3 plus a Revenant.

andy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If you imagine the fight; a solo mega machine surrounded by heavy hoovertanks. Shots fired, rockets launched, and all with one result: a win for the mega robot :-) Now that's epic for me.

BLOG: Epic 40,000
BLOG: Warmaster

Toco's Mod: Allied HeroQuest