Login |  Register |  FAQ

Back to EPIC 40K

Post subject: Back to EPIC 40K
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to post a message on this section to share with you my love for this game : )

After several years of abstinence, I recently had the pleasure of making 2 games of Epic 40K and it was just awesome. The elegance and the fluidity of the game just stunned me. The game also give a deep tactical/strategic feeling that i rarely seen in other TT game. I keep coming back to this game like every 3 years and it's always a massive enjoyment!
I played Epic since Space Marine (1990) and unlike everyone my favorite edition is by far EPIC 40K.

I really hope that someday an updated version of the game will rise and give this game the attention it deserve.

Cheers!

Ravensburg

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Back to EPIC 40K
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You're not unlike everyone. This is my favorite Epic game, as well.

But I wouldn't hold your breath for a new version. Even if they did a new Epic (which would shock me), it wouldn't be this version.

What would you want updated?

andy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

andyskinner wrote:

But I wouldn't hold your breath for a new version. Even if they did a new Epic (which would shock me), it wouldn't be this version.

andy

Sad but true :(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

We're talking about Epic 40,000 right?

I am surprised about this sort of resurgence of this game, even though I have been in support of it for years. Even on Ebay, this box set is going for some steep prices. I remember picking up a mint set back in the day for $17. Now they can run from $200-$300 for a mint set.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great to see another supporter of E40k here it really is a brilliant game.

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

+1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

andyskinner wrote:

andy

I don't believe GW will release anything related to Epic. Maybe something like Dreadfleet, a one shot game but that's all.

No, I want the NetEpic40K version of Epic 40K that's what i mean with update.

And if you want me to be more precise:

- A version that will regroup all Faqs, Erratas and additional rules and army from all FP and Epic Mag, even if i have them all, it's really a must have for newcomers. The fact is that a good parts of the griefs players had about the game was fixed with those publications.

- A version with alternate activation during the movement phase. This is clearly a must have. It fix the overpowered initiative during the first phase of a sequence that allow you to play after your opponent. This modification can be made without changing anything else in the rules. It also make close combat armies more viable as the player can position a detachment at assault range of an already activated detachment. Finally it really tends to make this movement phase less frustrating for the player that doesn't get he initiative and bring a lot more tactical depth and tension.

- A version that will bring lists for Tau, Necrons and Dark Eldars (List from Tocos are cool but needs some serious works to pretend the noble title of official "NetEpic40K" lists : ) The Tau list in the Epic mag 9 and 10 are meh) Also, i would like to see some enhancements and balances of the existing list.

- A version that will fix all the small things that may appear a bit strange during game. A good example of that is the Land raider, the land raider get 2xAT weapons which clearly correspond to the twin lascanon on the model. The problem is that the land raider is also known for having a twin heavy bolter and when you check the attack bike stats, it get 2 FP for getting a heavy bolter. So, it appears to be logic that the land raider should have 2xAT at 45cm weapons and 2 FP at 30 cm.
I know all the game is based on abstraction but i think that we shouldn't underestimated the bad impact all those little things had on the game.
To be more clear I don't want something like in Epic Armageddon where I have to make "to hit" tests for each weapons my 6mm miniatures have because FP and AT can do the job well in a faster and more elegant way, but i also want something that is logic and respect the fluff.

- A version that will improve the assault phase as many players felt that it was a bit broken to determine the results of the battle before inflicting losses. Also the firefight didn't make the unanimity. I'm sure that things can be done to make something better regarding the assaults in Epic 40K.

- A version that will bring a new "heavy vehicule" attribute. This attribute would fill the gap between the vehicules that only have 1 structure point and the super heavy that all get at least 4 structure points by giving 2 structure points to some vehicules like stompa/riptide/knight... I feel like there's a missing link without this attribute.

- A version that will pick some of the good ideas of EA like the 5cm control zone instead of 10. Because it's just boring for Eldars players to get a good placement estimation with guardians between those damn 10 and 15 cm or getting snapshot on 3+ : /
Also, this would help prevent an exploit, make a mycetic tyrannid swarm detachment mostly filled with lictors. Drop them on turn 2 along the enemy side of the table. As they all have infiltrators they are consider in formation at 60 cm of the HQ. Now spread them every 20 cm along the table edge of your opponent and you get one free snapshot fire for each enemy unit that will come in reinforcement.

- A version that will delete the clunky drop pods rules. With friends, we decided to apply the following rules regarding drop deployment: Deploy the HQ of your detachment, then the rest of the detachment at 15 cm of the HQ. Then make a dangerous terrain test for every unit deploy this way.

I must forget a thing or 2 but this is the main things i expected from an updated fan made version of the game.

Don't take me wrong with this post, i love this game! But Epic40K is also 18 years old, And i'm sure it could benefits a small lifting : )

Regards,

Ravensburg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ravensburg wrote:
- A version with alternate activation during the movement phase. This is clearly a must have. It fix the overpowered initiative during the first phase of a sequence that allow you to play after your opponent. This modification can be made without changing anything else in the rules. It also make close combat armies more viable as the player can position a detachment at assault range of an already activated detachment. Finally it really tends to make this movement phase less frustrating for the player that doesn't get he initiative and bring a lot more tactical depth and tension.

I used to support this, but no longer do. I think the counter-draw adds a swing. I like the feel of large armies that I don't think I'd get as well with activations. I prefer the current way.

I'm happy making my own tweaks, of course, and you don't need my approval. :) But if you make Net Epic 40K, you'll need to have pretty good agreement before you publish something that deviates too much from the original.

Ravensburg wrote:
- A version that will fix all the small things that may appear a bit strange during game. A good example of that is the Land raider, the land raider get 2xAT weapons which clearly correspond to the twin lascanon on the model. The problem is that the land raider is also known for having a twin heavy bolter and when you check the attack bike stats, it get 2 FP for getting a heavy bolter. So, it appears to be logic that the land raider should have 2xAT at 45cm weapons and 2 FP at 30 cm.
I know all the game is based on abstraction but i think that we shouldn't underestimated the bad impact all those little things had on the game.
To be more clear I don't want something like in Epic Armageddon where I have to make "to hit" tests for each weapons my 6mm miniatures have because FP and AT can do the job well in a faster and more elegant way, but i also want something that is logic and respect the fluff.

I was going to disagree with this, too, but coupled with the idea of heavy vehicles, I think that's interesting. I don't feel a need for it on its own, and don't want a weapon to have that much detail.

Thanks for your thoughts. I want fewer changes than I used to, but I'll admit my use of hexes is drastic and won't appeal to most. :)

andy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:27 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Sounds like my kind of game, are the rules available anywhere?

Armyforge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

adam77 wrote:
Sounds like my kind of game, are the rules available anywhere?

Sure are see the E40k resources section at the top of the page you will find all sorts of useful links and files in that thread. ;)

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ravensberg you are looking at all the things that me and yorkie were looking at when we started the fan edition thread with much the same ideas and modifications we tinkered with maybe it's time to have another go at it.

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ravensburg wrote:

Or that a Rhino has no firepower at all. Have always hated that. ::)

Its interesting, with myself coming into Epic from AT/SM1, which had loads of detail, and accounted for every weapon on a vehicle, as well as the FIRE ARCs each weapon had, I kinda appreciate the abstract nature of how Epic 40k handles weapon systems. Not all cases, but like with Ork Battlewagons for example. In AT/SM1, and as well as SM2/TL, each different type of wagon had a unique profile, speed, range, and so on. I think the view of Orks changed where each wagon was so unique but despite how they looked and operated, they were basically able to provide x amount of firepower during x amount of time. So even tho some might have bigger guns than others, or even multiple barrels, they compare with another that might have a weapon with less caliber but higher rate of fire. I do think that is brilliant, and it actually allows you to be more creative in customizing models since you aren't too concerned about how it looks.

The thing about the Land Raider, is that I guess it was intended to be used as a Main Battle Tank for the marines. At least that is how I see how they were trying to use it. The funny thing to me is how neutered its gotten over time.

In AT/SM1, the Land Raider was a beast. It was pretty fast, had 2 twin-lascannons on each side, and a heavy bolter facing the front, and one facing the rear. Assuming each had a target, that's six dice you could roll for one Land Raider. Good saving throw, but the game also had critical hits that could by-pass saves.

In SM2/TL, you had a single roll for each Lascannon on each side, and a dinky, short ranged bolter facing the front. Not only did it lose half its firepower, but each got harder to hit with. Its saving throw got better too with no critical hits, however, saves could be modified.

In Epic 40k, it gets only 2 AT, although I'll take an AT over messing with a firepower chart any day of the week, as well as the best armor a unit can get.

I think what has happened is that Jervis has tried to help make the game faster by eliminating weapons and the decisions on how to use them. I have had to wait and wait for an opposing player to decide which lascannon should shoot at what, while the other shot at this, while the heavy bolter shot at that. I love it, and think it gives a lot of flexibility to a player to decide how he wants to use something, but it definitely slows the game down.

Something similar happened with the Rhino too. It went from 2 Bolters to 1, to none. :(

Epic A brought some of that back, but then implemented the dumb-choose-between-AT-and-AP-targets. Public justification? It makes the game more challenging to have to choose! No, its stupid and unrealistic. Its there to make the shooting phase faster.

I accept the units as they are in just about every game (except that Epic 40k Rhino), and play them the best they can be played, but I love the AT/SM1 Land Raider the most.