Login |  Register |  FAQ

Eldare aspect warriors

Post subject: Eldare aspect warriors
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I always felt aspect warriors received too little attention in E40k. Aspect warriors covered the howling banshees and scorpions as one. A few others got a special ability. Did anyone do a revised list for this individual aspect warriors types? Maybe the howling masks and mandiblasters kinda do the same thing at epic scale - thoughts?

Mind you I think Exarchs should get a better armour rating by +1

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Eldare aspect warriors
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You'll find several mods concerning Aspekt warriors, there is even an official one in a Firepower magazin.

In our games we kept most as they are:

Swooping Hawks - Jump Jets
Khaindar - Heavy Weapon
Warp Spider - Jump Jets
Banshee - unchanged (experimented with disruption, no closure yet)
Skorpion - Assassin (it's a pick-your-kill ability; not totally perfect fluff wise, but it works great in gameplay)

Fire Dragon - Experimented with Tank-Buster, no closure yet
Dire Avengers - never given any thoughts, some people gave them rapid fire.

Exarch - unchanged (was always pretty powerfull we thought, i included as much as possible)

Found the Other Articels:
1) Firepower #4
by Ryan Micks
2) http://www.netepic.org/EPICentre/Articl ... spects.php
by Greg Bak
3) http://www.netepic.org/EPICentre/Articl ... spects.php
by Jyrki Saari

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

darn good find...how did I miss that in my recent web trawls.
Many thanks...combining both = job done there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Aspect Warriors are one of those places in E40K where a little chrome could be added to the system (the others being Titans and Demons). Because of the widely varying stats that Aspect Warriors get in 40k*, I don't think they work so well with the +Assault type rules. Rather I'd like to give them each their own unique statline. I don't think this will cause too much stat overload.

Unit Speed Range Firepower Assault Armor Notes
Dire Avenger 20, 14, 2, 2, 4+,
Fire Dragon 20, 15, anti-tank, 3, 5+,
Dark Reaper 15, 45, 2, 2, 5+
Swooping Hawk 20, 30, 1, 4, 3+, Jump Packs
Howling Banshee 25, 15, 1, 6, 4+
Shining Spear 40, 15, 2, 4, 4+, Skimmer
Striking Scorpions 20, 15, 1, 6, 5+
Warp Spiders 15, 15, 2, 4, 5+, Close Support

Aaron (needs to learn how to make a proper table!)

*I use second edition of the 40k rules as a guide because it's special rules haven't been purged like current versions.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've been thinking about Warp Spiders. Their main power is the ability to teleport near a unit, shoot at it and then teleport away before getting shot at. So, to reflect this I was thinking of allowing Warp Spiders to add their Firepower to Assualts/Firefights if an enemy is within 30cm instead of just 15cm. Plus they can't be killed in the fight and aren't affected unless other elements of their detachment are directly involve, in which case they retreat as normal.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I see issues with this rule in fluff and in gameplay.

In fluff to my knowledge they do short range teleports, while 30cm in epic are far from being short range. The distance they could teleport would be rather about 2 cm(but more often then once during a turn).

In gameplay you have several issues. Suddenly you have a new range for firefights/Assaults. 30cm is huge in epic and you will usually end up with a lot of targets in 30 cm range if you force it just a little.
Add to this that it is a failsafe assault you could quickly exploit this rule to fight battles against terrible odds and just hope for dump luck. Just 2 Warpspiders, with 2 psionics will usually have a chance to force your opponent to retreat and don't risk anything at the same time. You could always try the assault, nothing bad could happen to the warpspiders.
And at last you would have to adjust the point value, a bad thing in my opinion.

Adding Firepower to Assault/firefight is another thing. This could work. Maybe give them the "close Support" ability(like a demolisher). This would still increase their point value, but only by about 1 point(maybe instead of the exarch upgrade).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I should have been more clear. Warp Spiders can't initiate an Assault or Firefight from 30cm away, they can only add their Firepower to one that already exists. So the Eldar player is going to have to risk some of their troops.

And, yeah, the jump is significantly longer than in 40k. But it still better than the bonus they are getting now with Jump Packs.

I'm going to have to figure out point costs anyway since I'm adding units that didn't exist like Shining Spears.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Adding new units is another thing then changig existing units. If you change existing units you have a harder time to convince other players to play with your house rules. I'm just saying if you change existing units you should be sure it is for the better.

While the last addition puts a stop to my concerns I'm not convinced that the warpspiders would feel more like warpspiders after such a change. The range is just to big (note to myself, could be neat for a yet unexisting warp based eldar vehicle).
I just saw you already gave them close support...

Maybe keep close support, increase firepower, decrease close combat value and:
add a ability ,i call it "hit & run" for now, like this:
after an assault moves is resolved, but before an assault is resolved you may move the unit (warpspider) up to 5 cm (if it is involved in the assault). You may move the unit out of base to base combat this way.

This way they usually are able to use their close support ability and may even deny an enemy unit to bring it's close combat value.