Login |  Register |  FAQ

TOEG 2012 - Golden Angels Space Marines

Post subject: TOEG 2012 - Golden Angels Space Marines
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I started this army as a TOEG09 but life got in the way but I am now back and kicking paint all over the place (and with a new log in because i forgot the old ones details.) Over Xmas I started to playtest a 28mm scale game using epic minis and then I remembered how cool epic mini's are and though 'what am I doing why dont I just play Epic' and chucked the other game away and pulled out my minis and by new years I had my painting table all ready to go.

Oh and thats another thing, in this new place I actually have a decicated modelling room rather than having to pull out and pack them away like last time and it has really helped me keep some momentum (so far)

So its a Space Marine army and its Gold, all pretty easy really.

It started many years ago with a 40k army based on Dark Angels Deathwing that I played for a couple of years but it has been sold and moved on but I wanted to replicate the paint jobs.

Here is the 40k army

I choose (poorly) to do them with a snow base scheme to try and give a good contrast to the gold colour of the marines and because I decided to do a bit of a theme for each detachment the bases have been taking longer to do than the actual models themselves :)

Army Goals:
try and paint 3000points
do it on the cheap and use the old models I have wherever possible

In TOEG 09 I started with a dev squad taking up cover in a machinery area of a factory

I then painted a tac detachment in an open square with a statue and the rhino's on a roadway

and thats where I vanished, but now I am back i kicked off the painting with an Assault Squad backing up the devs in the courtyard of the factory

Then I got stuck thinking of a theme for the Terminator detachment and thought to myself 'every factory or warehouse area has a local take away store' and so the terminators are defending the pie shop from the possibility of a tyrannid invasion wanting some high quality meat :)

Then I grabbed some vehicles and painted up a whirlwind detachment that have taken up a firing position in a local park

Whats next?

I have a whole heap of titans but I have never really liked them (strangely enough) but many people swear by warhounds in their army so I decided to paint some. I will use the old ones i currently have, I have about 6 of them i think but I will start with 2 and see how I go from there.

So I assembled 2 of them and started wanting to paint them as they looked really cool with a heap of personality.

I began painting 1 to try and get a paint scheme going on, im not too happy with the red side unfortunately i am using old GW blood red and its so thin that even over foundation paints it comes out splotchy and uneven. I also started thinking about basing them and this is where it hits me....if I do them as snow then am i committing myself to doing all the rest of my titans and therefore all my other armies that will use them as snow armies??????

NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Currently I am thinking that maybe i do these as snow for this army and paint the others differently for another army but that would mean that as a whole my titan legions will look disjoined......it sucks, snow sucks and it bit me on the bum.

Anyways this is what i have done

I also have started some speeders, I have 19 of them of the old E40k versions and I have converted 1 of the AC/HB ones by cutting off the AC and gluing missile pods on the side to make a typhoon. So I have 5 speeders currently on the paint table too and once they are done I will convert another typhoon and make another squad I reckon.

I have also purchased some AA turrets from exodus wars to see if I can combine them with rhino chassis to make hunters and I also purchased some shadow warriors to use as scouts because even though the marines ones look good they are just too big and look silly compared to standard marine height.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: TOEG 2012 - Golden Angels Space Marines
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Pretty darn good !!!! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice work, Mango.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I remember these guys too!
Good work and welcome back :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Some really good stuff here. Welcome back.

/Fredmans

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Maybe make 2 warhounds for your space marines, except make 4 bases for them, 2 snow 2 whatever else. then you can pin and magnatize them so you can swap them?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looking good so far, keep it up :)

Ulthwé Eldar - complete
Nova Guard Titan Legion - complete
Crimson Fists Space Marines - complete

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I love that Dev squads, its got just the right amount of snow on the base and the bits on it, well done sir! You get the Snow done Right! award!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Blindhorizon wrote:
Maybe make 2 warhounds for your space marines, except make 4 bases for them, 2 snow 2 whatever else. then you can pin and magnatize them so you can swap them?

Not a bad idea but they are already based and I would rather not redo things that I dont really have to do.

Ahh well I will just out up with it :)

OK after thinking that i might have to strip this model and start again because I wasnt happy with the red I decided to push on through and overall I am pretty happy with it.

For the base I have gone with some concrete pipes and rolls of wire. Previously i have just used white paint to represent snow on top of buildings/ruins etc but this time i thought I would use flock on the wire rolls to try and show more ice formations and small pools of snow. they probably arnt white enough and are just a little too transparent but they dont do a bad job

I havent varnished the beast yet so some areas are still a little shiny

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice vertical split on the Titan. Glad to see you just getting stuck in with the bases - I have similar dilemmas about my aircraft camo schemes.

Can you run us through how you paint the gold please?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Curis wrote:
Nice vertical split on the Titan. Glad to see you just getting stuck in with the bases - I have similar dilemmas about my aircraft camo schemes.

Can you run us through how you paint the gold please?

The colour split is pretty easy on them as they have a defined boundry, if the split was painted by eye then it would be a bit of a mess :)

The gold is:
Undercoat black
medium drybrush shining gold (this helps build up the gold and provide a bit of a base layer)
heavy drybrush/wetbrush shining gold (this helps leave some areas of black for some added depth)
chestnut wash (yeah i still have some laying around :) )
light drybrush shining gold
detail weapons, shoulderpads etc

overall pretty easy but I think the initial drybrush stage is very helpful otherwise the wetbrush stage can look a little thin and transparent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ok still not 100% on the warhound, I am thinking of remounting him onto a 40mm base with the lip like the malifeux bases.

Anyways its put aside for now and I have just finished this....

Scouting around the township 5 speeders moved though the bush searching for enemies

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ahhh, Chestnut Ink, no wonder your gold looks so rich and shiny. It's set off quite nicely by the snow bases. Nice touch with the snow-covered vegetation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For the speeders I used the p3 paint rhulic gold for the base coats and found that it went on the model alot easier than the gw shining gold.

it is a whiter gold though and so i used the gw shining gold for the final drybrush to retain the deep gold colour.

thanks for the comment on the vegetation it is a pain to adhere to the base but easy to wetbrush from the top to give it a snow covered feel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

finished the 2nd squad of speeders but while they were drying i was a little bored and started playing around with some old land raiders.

I recall seeing an old mk1 LR with twin tracks so I put together the pieces and it looked ok, i then was a little stuck for what to do with it so I searched the army lists for a WE vehicle that it could suit and came across the decimator. From there i bolted appropriate weapons on it and some other stuff and this is what i came up with

since then I have put an exhaust/fire at the back middle of the hull and put a small spite on the end of the cannon