Login |  Register |  FAQ

TOEG 2012 - Golden Angels Space Marines

Post subject: Re: TOEG 2012 - Golden Angels Space Marines
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sitting here at work thinking about this warhound and looking at some great titan pics that other users have posted and I think that one thing that it is missing is a prominant head.

The current scheme has the metallic head blending in with the edging and framework whereas alot of titans that look great have a contrasting head.

I think the blue/red body does work well but I think having a coloured head would act as a focus point for the eyes instead of the model being a lump of blue/red and your eyes just wander over it. The base still have something to do with it as well but I think having a coloured head would really help.

I have mocked up a couple of colours and generally I think there are only a cople of colours that could work

Yellow/gold - alot of people do yellow, it is a strong colour but maybe the gold would suit better and give the model a unifying colour with the rest of the army

White with black - dirty white - could look good, the white does contrast well, could even go a step further and do a 2 colour head with a stripe (similar to marine vet sgts)

White with blue - clean white - similar to ultramarine vet heads where the creases in te helm are done in blue to give the white a crisp look

What do you think?

I am leaning toward dirty white as I think the gold clashes with the rest of the metal on the model and I dont think yellow would suit the model either. The rest of the model is dark with dark metallics and dark colours and the dirty white could easily blend the model together.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Gold by a 6mm mile.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Curis wrote:
Gold by a 6mm mile.

It does look alot more natural with the other metallics doesnt it.

Hrm, I will think on it for another couple of days and stare at it some more :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

OK well I finished the 2nd squad of speeders last week but when i went to varnish both units a fine white mist appeared on the models :(

It wasnt too bad but It really dulled the models down.

I was able to recover them with a full wash of gryphonne sepia giving the gold some yellow and getting rid of the white. Then a light drybrush of gold to bring back some of the high lights.

So here they are scoping out a lumber yard

The Typhoon has discovered a hidden cache of weapons

An astute observer might notice that the tornado had a different colour pattern to the rest, thats because I was 1 MM/HF short for the squad, i am in the process of getting another which will replace that one and he will be kicked into a full totnado squad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like your Marine chapter a lot
please feed us with a groupshot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

HAHA!

Its only been 15 months or so since my last update (and a new account to boot cos I cant remember my old password....AGAIN :) )

I will get some more pics up later but I am after some opinions on some scouts that I am currently painting. The scouts have a camo cloak which I have painted in greys/whites to blend in with the snow bases but now I am painting the rhino's and am wondering if I should stick with the gold (as per the rest of the normal formations) or go with the same scheme as the camo cloaks to be a little more 'realistic' (i know people hate that word when mentioned with toy soldiers).

I have done up 1 rhino as a test case, what do you think, continue with the gold rhinos to match the rest of the army or go the camo (and risk people thinking they are space wolf rhinos :) )

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:47 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I like the idea fo the white scout rhino, if possible maybe add a few extra details to match the rest of the force though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
I like the idea fo the white scout rhino, if possible maybe add a few extra details to match the rest of the force though.

At this stage I have painted it the same as the other rhinos except having 1 white door (for the scout company) and 1 black door (to show they are currently detatched to the 5th company) with the squad number on the white side. Oh and the front bumper plate replicates this designation.

It isnt based as yet just sitting on a white base, maybe having some similar foilage on the base will also help blend it in? Some of the normal rhinos have quite boring bases, I think the scout rhinos would benefit from having that extra detail just to help merge the different style with the 'theme'.

Thanks for the comment!

EDIT - or maybe I should ignore the white door and make them double black (as per the other rhinos) and use the designator 11 (XI) and 12(XII) for the scout squads? (1-10 being the normal company squads?)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice conversions and bases ...