Login |  Register |  FAQ

Dominatrix questions

Post subject: Dominatrix questions
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dominatrix questions
1) so I've found the Dominatrix's Energy Pulse to be absolutely devastating against Eldar Titans.
Energy Pulse: "Any model under the template is hit on a 4+ for D6 wounds at -4 TSM and Penetrating +1."
Given its a template weapon the Phantom or Revenant's holo fields don't work against it. So there's a 50% chance of getting, on average, 3.5 hits at -4 TSM with +1 on the damage table. So if you accumulate the hits on one location and add the bonus for re-hitting the same location it's very devastating.
So far in my (albeit link items number of) games at least one of my Dominatrix's has destroyed a phantom Titan every turn. He's so effective that I'm discouraged from taking Phantoms against Tyranids again. Too many points go smashing to the ground ineffectually. Too bad given the pulse lasers of a Phantom is one of the few things that can take down a Doninatrix - not even close to as fast as how the Dominatrixes have taken down my phantoms though!
It's sad because I was looking forward to watching them have a good close fight.
If I had a formation of Titans that had to be in cohesion, it could be taking down probably at least one maybe two titans a turn.
Am I only griping because of bad luck? Or are the Math's actually against me here? I know the ability only has a 50% chance of hitting, but for the points I expect a Titan to at least occupy a bunch more enemy firepower to take it down. I'm thinking of introducing a house rule where holo fields work against the Energy Pulse.

2)And can I just clarify the Warp Field?
So here's the power: "A Dominatrix may use one of the following psychic powers at any time during the combat phase: 1) Warp Field: This power generates an aura of protective warp energy. This is a 3+ Fixed Save against all physical damage, including Close Combat attacks, Warp Missiles, Vortex effects, Wave Serpent fields, etc. Once cast the Warp Field will last until the beginning of the next Com-bat phase, but vanishes if the Dominatrix moves."

So by "at any time during the combat phase" it means" when someone else fires, and not at any time during its own activation, right? But if it moves the next turn, someone could snap-fire and damage it because the effect vanishes when it moves. But if it stayed still the effect would last through the movement/snap fire phase until it re activated it, or uses some other psychic power.

So if you think the Dominatrix is going to come charging in with its warp field on, the idea is to put all your heavy weapons on snap fire. Have I got that right?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Dominatrix questions
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Storm Puppy wrote:
Dominatrix questions
1) so I've found the Dominatrix's Energy Pulse to be absolutely devastating against Eldar Titans.
Energy Pulse: "Any model under the template is hit on a 4+ for D6 wounds at -4 TSM and Penetrating +1."
Given its a template weapon the Phantom or Revenant's holo fields don't work against it. So there's a 50% chance of getting, on average, 3.5 hits at -4 TSM with +1 on the damage table. So if you accumulate the hits on one location and add the bonus for re-hitting the same location it's very devastating.
So far in my (albeit link items number of) games at least one of my Dominatrix's has destroyed a phantom Titan every turn. He's so effective that I'm discouraged from taking Phantoms against Tyranids again. Too many points go smashing to the ground ineffectually. Too bad given the pulse lasers of a Phantom is one of the few things that can take down a Doninatrix - not even close to as fast as how the Dominatrixes have taken down my phantoms though!
It's sad because I was looking forward to watching them have a good close fight.
If I had a formation of Titans that had to be in cohesion, it could be taking down probably at least one maybe two titans a turn.
Am I only griping because of bad luck? Or are the Math's actually against me here? I know the ability only has a 50% chance of hitting, but for the points I expect a Titan to at least occupy a bunch more enemy firepower to take it down. I'm thinking of introducing a house rule where holo fields work against the Energy Pulse.

2)And can I just clarify the Warp Field?
So here's the power: "A Dominatrix may use one of the following psychic powers at any time during the combat phase: 1) Warp Field: This power generates an aura of protective warp energy. This is a 3+ Fixed Save against all physical damage, including Close Combat attacks, Warp Missiles, Vortex effects, Wave Serpent fields, etc. Once cast the Warp Field will last until the beginning of the next Com-bat phase, but vanishes if the Dominatrix moves."

So by "at any time during the combat phase" it means" when someone else fires, and not at any time during its own activation, right? But if it moves the next turn, someone could snap-fire and damage it because the effect vanishes when it moves. But if it stayed still the effect would last through the movement/snap fire phase until it re activated it, or uses some other psychic power.

So if you think the Dominatrix is going to come charging in with its warp field on, the idea is to put all your heavy weapons on snap fire. Have I got that right?

Hi!

It is indeed a fearsome power versus phantoms, so use Warlock titans instead. That power is a psychic attack, so warlock titans get an modifiable 3+ save against it, in addition to the mandatory scatter. That reduces the chances of it being affected by it to about 16% (versus the 50-50 for phantoms).

Watch that warlock titan armed with pulse cannon and D-cannon rip that DOM apart while it either dodges the barrage or makes the psi-save. Odds are stacked in favor of the warlock in that match-up.

As for the second question, its basically a very powerful defensive ability that works from the moment the DOM activates and uses it (if it gets shot before it activates it is obviously not protected) and it lasts the entire movement phase of the next turn, so long it doesn't move. Once it does, if an opponent snap fires at it it is not longer protected since it has moved. If it does not move at all during the movement phase it is protected until the start of the following combat phase.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Primarch! Yes Warlock Titans sound like a very smart answer. And if the D-cannon hits it destroys all the hits on the Dominatrix and sucks it into the warp? It's a sudden death showdown between behemoths not accustomed to sudden death. Interesting.
Great answer, thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep, cheers Primarch! Nice tip about the Warlock Titan! I'm going to have to figure out some strategies as to how to deal with the Tyranids in general!

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules